d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is Russia Evil?
Prev1111213141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Gold: 9.00
Mar 18 2017 09:55am
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 18 2017 05:37pm)

USA is evilest.
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Mar 18 2017 11:37am
Yes.
Gold: 2,570.91
Mar 18 2017 04:49pm
Quote (fender @ 18 Mar 2017 06:31)
i do NOT support the western coup in the ukraine either (although it would be rather naive to assume that russia didn't also try to massively influence ukrainian elections) but that was not my point, i'm saying that invading and annexing a significant part of a country is way worse. again, if this was a legitimate and equal response, it would mean mayhem and war in basically every corner of the world.

so putin's long list of killed / imprisoned / silenced journalists and opposition is not proof enough but erdogan's is because he's even less subtle about it, so much for your "principle"...
btw, you have these "supersonic" trials with russian opposition as well...

are you even being serious right now? if so, you just further exposed your lack of insight into the matter. it's the same ridiculous conclusion you already drew when talking about how "happy" russians are and that there was no "demand for a more transparent democracy".
again, just because putin is successfully suppressing any opposition before it becomes a serious threat, that doesn't mean there is none and that it wouldn't be much stronger and much more visible (even for rather uninformed westerners), if key figures didn't keep dying, disappearing, being arrested, or otherwise silenced - and if the russian public was informed fairly and independently...

in fact, there WERE protests against putin which lead to hundreds of arrests, amongst them alexei navalny and boris nemtsov - do the names ring a bell? one arrested on bogus charges, the other one dead - pure coincidences to you, i know...
in addition to the arrests, even stricter laws against protests were introduced and organisers of anti government protests were raided, funds were seized, private citizens harrassed. seriously, mate - just do your research.

Well, we have different views on the way we measure the russian and allied actions in Ukraine. I think that's fine and we're both allowed to have our own point of view on the matter. Maybe I'm lacking faith in humanity, but for the most part I think that deterrence is what stops wars and not the legitimacy of a country's actions.

Would you disagree with me if I said there is no demand for communism in Europe? Or if I said there is no demand for the governments to bann abortion or to reintroduce death penalty? Obviously you can find thousands of people with those demands, but they aren't a widely significant amount of the population. The fact is that not many people are voting for parties that want a more transparet and modern form of democracy. Would more people vote for them if there was a greater freedom and media indpendence? Probably. But it seems like the majority of russians aren't really interested in having those freedoms. So I say let them be if that's what they wish.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Mar 18 2017 06:23pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 18 Mar 2017 23:49)
Well, we have different views on the way we measure the russian and allied actions in Ukraine. I think that's fine and we're both allowed to have our own point of view on the matter. Maybe I'm lacking faith in humanity, but for the most part I think that deterrence is what stops wars and not the legitimacy of a country's actions.

that's not called lacking faith in humanity, that's called being a political realist. then again, i'm pretty sure most realists would agree that invading and annexing a country is worse than winning the illegitimate political influence war in a country - but in and of itself that is not a valid argument, so other than the points i already made as to why i see it that way, it looks like we indeed will have to agree to disagree...

Quote (zarkadon @ 18 Mar 2017 23:49)
Would you disagree with me if I said there is no demand for communism in Europe? Or if I said there is no demand for the governments to bann abortion or to reintroduce death penalty? Obviously you can find thousands of people with those demands, but they aren't a widely significant amount of the population. The fact is that not many people are voting for parties that want a more transparet and modern form of democracy. Would more people vote for them if there was a greater freedom and media indpendence? Probably. But it seems like the majority of russians aren't really interested in having those freedoms. So I say let them be if that's what they wish.

i would say that this is a terrible comparison since communists and capital punishment / abortion ban proponents are free to make their case here. they won't mysteriously disappear, their assets won't be seized, they will not be murdered or harrassed by the government, or arrested and sentenced in mock trials...
i know, this is the point where you fall back to your principle and claim that nobody knows if putin / the kremlin is really behind this, but from my perspective you'll have to agree that it's apples and oranges really...

and what people ACTUALLY vote in russia, despite the state propaganda news, might very well still be a lot more diverse than what official results tell you. i can just reiterate my previous point: do your research, election irregularities in russian elections are extremely common and widespread...

Gold: 0.00
Mar 18 2017 07:01pm
Quote (Skinned @ 18 Mar 2017 15:37)

Who cares? It's just a dog.
Gold: 285.00
Mar 19 2017 09:32am
Quote (Scaly @ Mar 18 2017 08:01pm)

I guess you either respect life or you don't.

Considering there were many options but they choose murder they feel the same way.
Gold: 500.00
Mar 19 2017 11:51am

clearly you haven't seen john wick
Gold: 1,495.80
Mar 19 2017 01:21pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Mar 19 2017 12:51pm)
clearly you haven't seen john wick

Lol this
Gold: 22,720.48
Mar 19 2017 01:22pm

So edgy.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1111213141516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll