d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Milk > Good/bad For You?
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Jan 9 2017 01:00am
a vegetarian friend of mine recommended some documentary on netflix called "food choices" which i'm watching right now and i just saw a bunch of doctors and nutritional experts talking about how milk is bad for you

did some digging around and found this
there's a tonne of stuff that looks like vegan propaganda
http://nutritionstudies.org/12-frightening-facts-milk/
A large observational cohort study[1] in Sweden found that women consuming more than 3 glasses of milk a day had almost twice the mortality over 20 years compared to those women consuming less than one glass a day. In addition, the high milk-drinkers did not have improved bone health. In fact, they had more fractures, particularly hip fractures.

i then tried to find the other side explaining why milk is good for you and keep finding stuff like this
http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/calcium-and-strong-bones
Calcium and Strong Bones
The bone-thinning condition called osteoporosis can lead to small and not-so-small fractures. Although many people think of calcium in the diet as good protection for their bones, this is not at all the whole story. In fact, in a 12-year Harvard study of 78,000 women, those who drank milk three times a day actually broke more bones than women who rarely drank milk.1 Similarly, a 1994 study of elderly men and women in Sydney, Australia, showed that higher dairy product consumption was associated with increased fracture risk. Those with the highest dairy product consumption had approximately double the risk of hip fracture compared to those with the lowest consumption.2

How to Get Calcium into Your Bones
1. Get calcium from greens, beans, or fortified foods.
The most healthful calcium sources are green leafy vegetables and legumes, or "greens and beans" for short. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collards, kale, mustard greens, Swiss chard, and other greens are loaded with highly absorbable calcium and a host of other healthful nutrients. The exception is spinach, which contains a large amount of calcium but tends to hold onto it very tenaciously, so that you will absorb less of it.

has there been any studies at all proving how milk is good for your bones?

i bought into the whole milk being good for bones thing at a young age but it looks like the media has been lying to us :o ?

This post was edited by duffman316 on Jan 9 2017 01:02am
Gold: 9.87
Jan 9 2017 01:11am
3 glasses a day seems excessive.
Gold: 22,189.49
Jan 9 2017 01:18am
it won't kill yah, but its not good for you. Its just fat and sugars. Humans didn't evolve to drink it past a very young age, and any boogaloo about being 'necessary for bones' is just a product of capitalist propaganda by the dairy industry, but that doesn't make it some grand conspiracy, nor will any reasonable study be able to isolate the lifestyle factors that would correlate to milk drinking habits to create any sort of meaningful statistics.

Haven't drunk a glass of milk since I was a kid, never felt the need to, but I'll have dairy in moderation
Gold: 451.00
Jan 9 2017 01:24am
Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 9 2017 12:18am)
it won't kill yah, but its not good for you. Its just fat and sugars. Humans didn't evolve to drink it past a very young age, and any boogaloo about being 'necessary for bones' is just a product of capitalist propaganda by the dairy industry, but that doesn't make it some grand conspiracy, nor will any reasonable study be able to isolate the lifestyle factors that would correlate to milk drinking habits to create any sort of meaningful statistics.

Haven't drunk a glass of milk since I was a kid, never felt the need to, but I'll have dairy in moderation

what about fat free milk?
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 9 2017 01:28am
When mass-produced milk is pasteurized, it putrifies the proteins in the milk along with most of the other nutrients, making it less nutritious on every level. Pasteurization also destroys the natural lactase enzyme, which causes abdominal discomfort in most people since humans can't digest lactose, the sugar in milk (hispanics can digest lactose for some reason).

Anecdotal evidence isn't that useful, but I haven't drank milk in years and I don't regret it. I just feel a lot better without it.

Raw milk is probably healthier, but I don't think it has anything to do with bones.

Most bone health comes from adequate vitamin-D3 (from sunlight) and exercise along with the right minerals ie: calcium
Gold: 22,189.49
Jan 9 2017 01:30am
Quote (Perseverance1 @ Jan 9 2017 01:24am)
what about fat free milk?

Well instead of eating a stick of butter each day, you're having a few sugar cubes

Quote (EndlessSky @ Jan 9 2017 01:28am)
Raw milk is probably healthier, but I don't think it has anything to do with bones.

healthier in the same sense as anti-vaxxing making you 'healthier'
Or not buckling your seatbelt making your car faster

This post was edited by Goomshill on Jan 9 2017 01:31am
Gold: 1,895.00
Jan 9 2017 01:42am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jan 9 2017 01:28am)
When mass-produced milk is pasteurized, it putrifies the proteins in the milk along with most of the other nutrients, making it less nutritious on every level. Pasteurization also destroys the natural lactase enzyme, which causes abdominal discomfort in most people since humans can't digest lactose, the sugar in milk (hispanics can digest lactose for some reason).

Anecdotal evidence isn't that useful, but I haven't drank milk in years and I don't regret it. I just feel a lot better without it.

Most bone health comes from adequate vitamin-D3 (from sunlight) and exercise along with the right minerals ie: calcium

Q fever and other illnesses from raw milk. Not a good idea. If people avoid milk they should probably supplement with calcium citrate and vit d or otherwise possibly end up with osteoporosis.

This post was edited by dark-soul on Jan 9 2017 01:49am
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 9 2017 01:52am
I drink about half a gallon per day. It's easily my favorite drink because it clears your palette between bites.
Gold: 1,803.00
Jan 9 2017 02:02am
The injuries are probably more related to the weight of the person. Heavier people are obviously more likely to get injured. And if somebody is drinking a casual 3 glasses of milk a day, you could assume that they are heavier set, especially if it is a female.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Jan 9 2017 02:03am
I identify as a lactose intolerant white male
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll