d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Which Will Happen First?
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 1.93
Feb 18 2017 07:23pm
Turkey seems to be in the middle of a shift from secular to islamic dictatorship, very unlikely they will be allowed to join the eu.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 4 2017 03:58pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ 19 Feb 2017 02:23)
Turkey seems to be in the middle of a shift from secular to islamic dictatorship, very unlikely they will be allowed to join the eu.

and the climate is moving towards your post.

The coup is considered to be induced by Erdogan nowadays, who had a list of 60.000 ppl to be removed from their functions within the government, the next day. Turkish NATO employers were ordered to come back home followed by reports of torture and deaths.
The ones that remained near their work, have been given asylum by the EU.

Most important recent development is that Erdogan is trying to grasp more power, through a referendum. He's reaching for European immigrants, having a double passport, to vote. Many tend to keep a double nationality for loyalty to the country of their ancestors or to retain rights (buy a home, inherit property, burial rights). It also has a disadvantage: military service, which can be bought off, for around $1000.
/e When someone wants to remove their Turkish passport, it's being made over complicated and sometimes not even possible (ie. if you have been in court once).

Erdogan and speakers around Europe are planning events to promote the referendum and vote for more power to Erdogan.

While most countries seem to struggle with free speech and wanting to avoid giving Erdogan more power, Germany, is cancelling the meetings.

https://www.dailysabah.com/eu-affairs/2017/02/25/german-opposition-to-erdogans-rally-raises-freedom-of-expression-concerns

This post was edited by Knaapie on Mar 4 2017 04:11pm
Mar 5 2017 07:52pm
I'm actually interested in how Americans relate to freedom of speech

and giving European dual passport holding Turkish/local politicians, the right, to promote and campaign to give Edrogan more power.

Would you allow to let Turkey (a NATO member), to move towards a dictatorship ?

/e imo this is the reason for the distraction created by accusing Obama for wiretapping Trump.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Mar 5 2017 07:58pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 5 2017 08:47pm
hi there i would like to past a translated comment i found about the recent events regarding Brexit (Eu is asking 60 Billions €)

The EU is entirely right to show the English government that it should not hope through the Brexit to have the butter, butter money, and buttocks of the creamer.
The British have for 40 years profited abundantly from the European single market, seeking all sorts of bias not to participate in the necessary obligations of the functioning of Europe.

* Note that fantastic french expression (and so true)
Gold: 9,941.00
Mar 5 2017 09:26pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Mar 5 2017 06:52pm)
I'm actually interested in how Americans relate to freedom of speech

and giving European dual passport holding Turkish/local politicians, the right, to promote and campaign to give Edrogan more power.

Would you allow to let Turkey (a NATO member), to move towards a dictatorship ?

/e imo this is the reason for the distraction created by accusing Obama for wiretapping Trump.

Personally i wouldn't let them have anymore influence in western countries than the already do. Whats happening in Germany shouldn't be happening. Ask yourself this, do you think the Turks would let thousands of Germans wave German flags on Turkish streets and allowed to promote and push ideas onto Turks? I doubt it.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Mar 5 2017 09:29pm
Gold: 49,142.00
Mar 6 2017 10:26am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 4 2017 10:04am)
The pro brexit politicians basically resigned in shame over what happened. There will be no brexit

You say this like its a good thing. A people democratically vote against what you liberals like, you dislike the final result, you hope the vote is ignored.

Pretty much what the EU is all about.

Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 6 2017 11:08am
Quote (ssdrmstre @ 6 Mar 2017 17:26)
You say this like its a good thing. A people democratically vote against what you liberals like, you dislike the final result, you hope the vote is ignored.
Pretty much what the EU is all about.

low informed, protest vote, farrage and the whole crew left the place, proof it was a brilliant idea... :)

Mar 6 2017 11:17am
I have to rectify post 23.

Erdogan is sending Turkish ministers to speak for him.
Mar 20 2017 04:10pm
Count down for article 50 has started. The UK will revoke EU membership on may 29th.

I think them rejoining the EU might be sooner than Turkey joining the EU now.
(no chance any time soon)

/e: There is still a 2 year negotiation period. In where debts will have to be settled first. In a form of unfinished collaboration in programs.
I've heard amounts around 60-80bil as a debt for the UK. That might ofc, be a harsh demand set by the EU at this time.
After that, new trade deals will have to be made within these 2 years as well.

There is a serious time pressure in settling the debt soon and this pressure might not benefit the UK.

This post was edited by Knaapie on Mar 20 2017 04:35pm
Gold: 11,700.00
Mar 20 2017 04:51pm
bottom line is that article 50 will be invoked and the uk will be outside the eu two years thereafter
maybe the eu council will grant the uk a short extension in view that the eu will not immediately respond to the uk invoking arcticle 50, but any such extension is very unlikely to be more than a few months
there is a 'mathematical' chance that the uk withdraws it's invocation of article 50 within the 2 year negotiation period but i consider it very unlikely without a significant shift in uk politics - what is the chance of a general election in the uk being called within the next two years and the result being very strongly in favour of the pro-eu politician? any comment "SCALY"?
result is that the uk will not be an eu member come 2020

is there any chance turkey will be an eu member before 2020?
even if turkey would be granted joining rights today, the processes involved (turkey would need to adjust/implement a lot of legislation) would ensure that the joining date would certainly not be before 2020
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll