d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Perfect Metaphor
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Jul 21 2016 11:00am
Quote (herbdoc @ Jul 21 2016 09:45am)
Are you fucking kidding me LOL.
Because I'm sure she was just there saying no racism no no hate as a general statement right it wasn't directed towards, I don't know, Trump?

I would like to see an interview her ask her why she was holding that sign up and why she thinks Trump is a racist and why she thinks he hates people

Sure it was a message directed at Trump, and it was a calm and peaceful one. Which is why comparing it to "LIAR, CROOKED, KILLER" is silly.

Trump's own party chair has said some of his messages are textbook racism.
Gold: 2,094.99
Jul 21 2016 11:08am
Quote (ssdrmstre @ Jul 21 2016 11:51am)
I think its more of the fact that shes implying the republican party represents hate and racism by protesting like she was, not so much that republicans are for racism and hate, you know? Whatever though, ill let you hardcore liberals jerk each other off

Pretty much
Gold: 0.00
Jul 21 2016 02:09pm
Doesn't matter if she's right or wrong, who she's aiming her comment at or whether they were right to assault her. The point of my op was simply that the image of gop supporters covering the words 'no hate, no racism' with the American flag is such a perfect metaphor for the jingoistic bigotry of the party that it could be a political cartoon.

But I'm not really surprised that went over the heads of certain individuals.
Gold: 49,142.00
Jul 21 2016 03:12pm
Quote (Scaly @ Jul 21 2016 01:09pm)
Doesn't matter if she's right or wrong, who she's aiming her comment at or whether they were right to assault her. The point of my op was simply that the image of gop supporters covering the words 'no hate, no racism' with the American flag is such a perfect metaphor for the jingoistic bigotry of the party that it could be a political cartoon.

But I'm not really surprised that went over the heads of certain individuals.

that's not really whats happening though.. they're more blocking her message of "the republican party represents racism and hate", so you seeing it as a perfect metaphor is taking what was happening out of context.

I'm not saying republicans don't do the same shit all the time, but come on people, its getting old.
Gold: 18.00
Jul 21 2016 03:48pm
Quote (majorblood @ Jul 20 2016 08:47pm)
enjoyed the music

lmfao
Gold: 0.00
Jul 21 2016 06:38pm
Quote (ssdrmstre @ 21 Jul 2016 21:12)
that's not really whats happening though.. they're more blocking her message of "the republican party represents racism and hate", so you seeing it as a perfect metaphor is taking what was happening out of context.

I'm not saying republicans don't do the same shit all the time, but come on people, its getting old.

That is exactly what's happening. They are covering up a sign that says 'no racism, no hate' with the American flag. The actual hows and whys are also irrelevant to it's metaphorical value. When you slice the head off a snake you are killing a snake... but the image of a man cutting the head off a snake also has a different meaning thanks to popular colloquial metaphor. If it was Donald Trump cutting the head off a snake by the mexican border you could derive even more artistic and metaphorical meaning from that image... even though what actually happened may just be that he saw a snake and decided to kill it to avoid being bit.

Really don't understand how that's so difficult to understand.

This post was edited by Scaly on Jul 21 2016 06:40pm
Gold: 49,142.00
Jul 21 2016 07:06pm
So youre drawing a metaphor that republicans mask their racism and hate with patriotism from a situation where republicans had nothing wrong with race/hate. How is it a perfect metaphor if the situation your drawing it from doesnt support the message you see in the metaphor itself? (Ie that the republican movement masks racism with patriotism)

Again, they were only upset that the protester was implying they were racists/hatemongerers.

Please correct me if i have misunderstood you at any point.

EDIT:

Metaphor - a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract

The intent of the people in the video is different than what I think you're trying to have it symbolize. Their behavior was against being misrepresented and insulted by being called racists/hatemongerers. Please tell me how this situation is a "perfect metaphor" in that it perfectly represents the situation in America.

And you focusing only on one aspect of the video rather than their intent and perspectives that were shown in the video is the exact kind of nearsightedness I was talking about previously - everything presented in the video would be part of the metaphor.

This post was edited by ssdrmstre on Jul 21 2016 07:19pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll