d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Your Thoughts On The United Health Pullout
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 109.01
Apr 22 2016 07:35am
Quote (Santara @ Apr 22 2016 08:17am)
To be fair, I don't think it should be legal here either. If the pharmaceutical must be prescribed, then you shouldn't be able to advertise it.

Isnt that a violation of a person and companies free speech and the ability to use their funds in the market peacefully? Why cant they take their income and invest in advertising? This type of law seems like a contradiction and violation of the NAP and libertarian principles, so can you clarify this viewpoint? Are you fine with using force of law to prevent a company from advertising their goods and services like any other business?

"ask your doctor about this new amazing drug ABC!" seems perfectly legitimate.

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous): cambovenzi, Master_Zappy, Santara

:thumbsup:

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Apr 22 2016 07:37am
Gold: 8,933.00
Apr 22 2016 07:59am
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Apr 22 2016 07:35am)
Isnt that a violation of a person and companies free speech and the ability to use their funds in the market peacefully? Why cant they take their income and invest in advertising? This type of law seems like a contradiction and violation of the NAP and libertarian principles, so can you clarify this viewpoint? Are you fine with using force of law to prevent a company from advertising their goods and services like any other business?

"ask your doctor about this new amazing drug ABC!" seems perfectly legitimate.

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous): cambovenzi, Master_Zappy, Santara

:thumbsup:

So long as it is legal to restrict pharmaceutical distribution to the discretion of a physician, I see no reason to not also restrict advertising thereof. It's not legal to sell cocaine, and I don't see any reason why advertising it should be legal.
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 22 2016 08:05am
I agree that the cost is artificially inflated for a variety of reasons.

I also agree with Zappy that banning advertising is a violation of the NAP, and i don't think thats the appropriate action.
Advertising actually plays a beneficial role for a variety of reasons(product awareness, time scarcity, etc) and the fact that people are prevented from getting certain products w/o a prescription doesn't change that.
Studies show they encourage people to seek help even if the final treatment isn't necessarily the advertised drug brand.

(example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14527237
" Among the 35 percent of our sample who had a physician visit during which DTCA was discussed, 25 percent received a new diagnosis, of which 43 percent were considered high priority according to authoritative sources. More than half also reported actions taken by their physician other than prescribing the advertised drug. Despite concerns about DTCA's negative consequences, we found no differences in health effects between patients who took advertised drugs and those who took other prescription drugs.")

Big things i would look at are easing the restrictions to competition (patents and high costs of entry via FDA etc) and also legalizing the importation of prescription drugs from other countries.
If they are available cheaper elsewhere we shouldn't be prohibited from getting them. This would reduce the cost considerably. Its classic protectionism that we would reject with other goods.
(credit to Sanders for slightly opening up to this idea and making it part of his platform to a very limited degree, even if he doesn't consistently apply the logic to other areas. He wants to permit some imports from Canada)

However, thats not to say advertising is in a perfect spot right now. Their artificial market advantages/monopolies make marketing to this extent more profitable than it otherwise would be. (leading to an increased supply of advertising)

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 22 2016 08:06am
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 22 2016 09:08am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 22 Apr 2016 13:11)
...Other countries don't allow medical advertising...

found an article from 2006 on that, answering my question:
http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/29/2/30/2 which starts
The impact of advertising prescription medicines directly to consumers in New Zealand: lessons for Australia
Advertising prescription medicines directly to consumers is allowed only in the USA and in New Zealand.

so yes, have to agree that advertising drives the prices up in the united states
and probably results in overprescription as well

& WOW

checked on us prices for a medication i am currently using
cheapest supply for one month in the us is over US$200
price here (from an australian supplier) A$5.20

This post was edited by brmv on Apr 22 2016 09:29am
Gold: 45.00
Apr 22 2016 01:49pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 21 2016 08:34am)
All the patient rights and protections have been amazing too. Actual service delivery has been better. More people using primary care doctors for theirproblems than the ER. More people are doing preventative health care. Social determinants of health are being recognized. There is more mental health parity.

Lots is great things that can't be measured in terms of how much richer rich guys get profiteering from health care.

if only

This post was edited by southpark247 on Apr 22 2016 01:49pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll