d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Americans To Celebrate National Day Of Reason > Another Atheist Victory In The States
Prev12345611Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 19 2016 07:21pm
Quote (IceMage @ 20 Apr 2016 00:54)
It's not important for people to create new holidays which contrast the current religious holidays, unless those people are psychologically empty and desperate for attention.

It's like your guy's inner child is coming out and saying "Billy gets to celebrate his birthday today, I deserve presents too".

I think it's more a protest against a government sanctioned holy day that excludes around a quarter of the population. Seperation of church and state and all that.

Not like they're asking for atheist Easter or anything. Though I wouldn't put it past Sam Harris to go for that idea.

Atheists in America feel angry, oppressed and disenfranchised. Id say they're somewhat justified in that as well. Don't think they always go about it the right way but I get why they do... And its nothing to do with spiritual emptiness.
Gold: 2,620.00
Apr 19 2016 07:23pm
Quote (Scaly @ 19 Apr 2016 20:21)
I think it's more a protest against a government sanctioned holy day that excludes around a quarter of the population. Seperation of church and state and all that.

Not like they're asking for atheist Easter or anything. Though I wouldn't put it past Sam Harris to go for that idea.

Atheists in America feel angry, oppressed and disenfranchised. Id say they're somewhat justified in that as well. Don't think they always go about it the right way but I get why they do... And its nothing to do with spiritual emptiness.

Sam Harris is opposed to atheists behaving like their own religous group. He doesn't want a day. He has written a couple essays about this topic.
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 19 2016 07:23pm
Quote (GetOnYourKnees @ Apr 19 2016 09:01pm)
I pray to see the day when atheists outnumber christians in the USA.

See what I did there?

...which is an odd thing to even think about considering you don't live here .
Gold: 10,151.00
Apr 19 2016 07:26pm
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 19 2016 06:21pm)

No one is excluded you dolt. Majority of the population is for the holiday, or indifferent to this holiday. Why do you think a few percentage of the population have the right to deny the majority to self determination. Gtfo with your authoritarian like nonsense

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Apr 19 2016 07:31pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 19 2016 07:27pm
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 19 2016 08:21pm)

Why do atheists here insist on remaining ignorant of what separation of church and state actually means?

Lol, I really don't think most American atheists feel that way. The atheists I know would tell the atheists who feel oppressed and disenfranchised to stop being pussies. They generally have a "live and let live" attitude with religious people, and their lack of belief in God doesn't define them as human beings. They don't seek to add to their sense of self with more holidays, and religious holidays don't subtract from their sense of self.
Apr 19 2016 07:28pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 20 Apr 2016 01:23)

One minute you're sitting there spouting off about how influential America is and the next you're acting bemused over how someone could possibly be interested in what goes on there if they aren't American.

Pick a side Dick. Either America matters and we should care bout it or it doesn't matter and we shouldn't.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 19 2016 07:28pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Apr 19 2016 08:23pm)

Yeah.... I find it odd that foreigners(except Canadians) are interested in our politics. The last thing I would follow in the world is European politics.
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 19 2016 07:31pm
Quote (Gastly @ 19 Apr 2016 23:52)
No, it was to mourn and to celebrate the death and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It happened roughly at the same time of Pesach (Pasha/påsk/etc.), which is why the exact date varies year by year.

don't forget pesach starts this week friday
the exact day in the common year varies due to the full moon and the calendar used
which also result often in different easter dates in orthodox denominations

This post was edited by brmv on Apr 19 2016 07:33pm
Apr 19 2016 07:32pm
Quote (IceMage @ 20 Apr 2016 01:27)
Why do atheists here insist on remaining ignorant of what separation of church and state actually means?

Lol, I really don't think most American atheists feel that way. The atheists I know would tell the atheists who feel oppressed and disenfranchised to stop being pussies. They generally have a "live and let live" attitude with religious people, and their lack of belief in God doesn't define them as human beings. They don't seek to add to their sense of self with more holidays, and religious holidays don't subtract from their sense of self.

Yea. Recent converts are the worst for that sort of shit. Awful Lotta anger comes out of realising you've been lied to your whole life.

As for separation of church and state... It means the state should not promote or favour one religion over any other. The day of prayer is a clear example of the breach of that.
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 19 2016 07:34pm
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 19 2016 09:32pm)
Yea. Recent converts are the worst for that sort of shit. Awful Lotta anger comes out of realising you've been lied to your whole life.

As for separation of church and state... It means the state should not promote or favour one religion over any other. The day of prayer is a clear example of the breach of that.

...itt...sees the word religion , immediately thinks Christian . ( but not obsessed )
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345611Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll