d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Gary Johnson , Potus 2016 > You Know You Want To.
12323Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 109.01
Mar 11 2016 04:43pm
‘I feel abandoned by the Republican Party,’ Johnson said, ‘The Republican Party has left me by the wayside.’
https://garyjohnson2016.com/

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm

I know there is alot of you who arent to thrilled with what's being offered on the Republican and Democrat party , many of you describe yourselves as fiscally conservative and socially liberal, here's someone who embodies that principal as much as any politician could and with a record as governor doing just that. I ask you to give this Libertarian candidate a closer look and to vote for him for POTUS.

Johnson was born in 1953 in Minot, North Dakota. His father was a public school teacher, while his mother worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Johnson graduated from Sandia High School in Albuquerque in 1971, He attended the University of New Mexico from 1971 to 1975 and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree. It was there that he met his future wife, Denise "Dee" Simms.

While in college, Johnson earned money as a door-to-door handyman. His success in that arena encouraged him to start his own business, Big J Enterprises, which was founded in 1976. When he started the business, Johnson was its only employee. His major break with the firm was receiving a large contract from Intel's expansion in Rio Rancho, which increased Big J's revenue to $38million. Over-stretched by his success, Johnson enrolled in a time management course at night school, which made him heavily goal-driven. He eventually grew Big J into a multi-million dollar corporation with over 1000 employees. By the time he sold the company, in 1999, it was one of New Mexico's leading construction companies.

As governor, Johnson followed a strict small government approach. According to former New Mexico Republican National Committee member Mickey D. Barnett, "Any time someone approached him about legislation for some purpose, his first response always was to ask if government should be involved in that to begin with." Having run on a promise of lowering the 10% annual growth of the state budget, in his first six months in office, Johnson vetoed 200 of 424 bills put in front of him, a national record of 48% of all legislation, and used the line-item veto on most remaining bills. Johnson frequently angered Democrats in the Legislature by using a governor's line-item veto powers to cut money from the Legislature's budget bill." In 1995, he called on the Republicans in Congress to eliminate the budget deficit through proportional cuts across the budget.

In his first budget, Johnson proposed a wide-ranging cut in taxes – repealing a tax on prescription drugs, cutting income tax by $47million, and cutting gasoline tax by 6 cents per gallon.

Second term

In 1998, Johnson ran for re-election as governor against Democratic Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez. He campaigned on continuing the programs of his first term: improving schools, but cutting state spending, taxes, and bureaucracy, along with using his veto power frequently. Johnson won by a 55% to 45% margin, making him the first Governor of New Mexico to serve two four-year terms after term limits were expanded to two terms in 1991.

In 1999, Johnson became one of the highest-ranking elected officials in the United States to advocate the legalization of marijuana. Saying the War on Drugs was "an expensive bust," he advocated the decriminalization of marijuana use and the concentration on harm reduction measures for all other illegal drugs. "He compared attempts to enforce the nation's drug laws with the failed attempt at alcohol prohibition. Half of what government spends on police, courts and prisons is to deal with drug offenders."He suggests that drug abuse be treated as a health issue, not as a criminal issue. His approach to the issue garnered supportive notice from conservative icon William F. Buckley, as well as the Cato Institute and Rolling Stone.

Johnson is an avid triathlete who bikes extensively and abstains from all recreational drug use, caffeine, alcohol, and some sugar products. During his term in office, he competed in several triathlons, marathons and bike races. In 1997, he took part in the Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii. He went on to finish the Hawaii Iron Man five times,[21] the last time finishing the marathon run, 3.8-kilometre swim and 180-kilometre bike ride only two hours behind the winner. In 2003, he reached the summit of Mount Everest "despite toes blackened with frostbite." He once ran 100 miles in 30 consecutive hours in the Colorado Rockies.

Wins the War of idea's and is sexy to boot.
:drool:

2016 Vote for someone , instead of just voting against someone in the lesser of two evils game. Voting for evil is still putting evil in power.

Quote (thundercock @ Mar 1 2015 05:45pm)
He's actually one of the few viable Libertarian candidates. I hope he runs for the GOP again because he actually has governing experience. He needs to be vetted more, but I can see some of his ideas gaining traction on both sides of the aisle.

Quote (Skinned @ Mar 1 2015 05:50pm)
He is a beast. He sparked my interest in the party. I looked at the Libertarian lineup in my state, by district and by race, and it was a huge freakshow.

I would have voted for him, but I live in Ohio so my vote actually matters. People still give me shit for voting for Nader two races in a row.

Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 1 2015 06:43pm)
I like Gary Johnson, wouldn't even be mad if he were elected. Looks like other non-libertarians like him too.

:thumbsup:

Quote (Cover3 @ Mar 1 2015 07:14pm)
I agree, he's very likable, I hated how they totally stiffed him in the last GOP candidates campaign after one or two debates at most.. he counterbalanced some of the nonsense that went on there along with Paul(and some others on certain things).

Quote (cambovenzi @ Oct 19 2012 08:50pm)
I'll be voting for Gary Johnson. Ron Paul isnt even counted as a write in in my state.
The revolution became large in 08 and has fought its way into the main stream this election cycle. He was far and away the best candidate in the republican race.
He is Exceptionally consistent and honest and boldly stands up against bad government policies that no one else really talks about. Guys like Romney are too scared it will hurt their election chances to take a stand against what is wrong. Men like Dr Paul and Governor Johnson are also some of the only anti-aggressive-war candidates.
A package of freedom and fiscal conservatism is popular in a day in age where we are trillions in debt, overtaxed, over-regulated, and our rights are being infringed on. What can I say?
Johnson is pretty much on the same page on all major issues.

Here is his "graph"

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Mar 11 2016 05:07pm
Gold: 8,933.00
Mar 11 2016 04:51pm
I don't see how that could be his "graph," seeing as he matches me at about 75-80 percentile and I'm closer to the top.
Gold: 109.01
Mar 11 2016 05:04pm
Quote (Santara @ Mar 11 2016 05:51pm)
I don't see how that could be his "graph," seeing as he matches me at about 75-80 percentile and I'm closer to the top.

Funny you say that, you posted this back during the 2012 run. Yeah I'd have expected something more inline with you, me and camb.

Since it was you that posted it, I didnt fact check it, but I just posted the new graph from the source. I dont see his views as changing much between 2012 and now.

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Mar 11 2016 05:07pm
Gold: Locked
Warn: 20%
Mar 11 2016 05:09pm
Quote (Master_Zappy @ Mar 11 2016 04:04pm)
Since it was you that posted it, I didnt fact check it
that is a mistake right there

Gold: 2,004.41
Mar 11 2016 05:12pm
Good thing he went with MS-Paint advertisements, he understands he's just there to be there. No need to spend any money.
Gold: 7,525.35
Mar 11 2016 05:14pm
Best candidate left by far in my view.

I'm glad he decided to run again.
The other "Libertarian" candidates were terrible and several were not particularly libertarian either. (crazy mcafee, slimy peterson, and an array of really awkward people that few have heard of)
He fits the bill of what Rothbard wanted out of a Libertarian candidate: Someone who is credible, who the American public can identify with as a leader, and someone who is conceivable as a president and has good debating skills. Someone who isn't going to waffle or sellout.

Earlier I was reading about how some of the right/left libertarian/authoritarian axis charts are flawed for not considering economic liberty to be libertarian and they just push candidates farther to the right instead.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Mar 11 2016 05:18pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Mar 11 2016 05:21pm
Quote (Sakuraba @ Mar 11 2016 05:12pm)
Good thing he went with MS-Paint advertisements, he understands he's just there to be there. No money to spend.

ftfy

I will be voting for Kasich in the republican primary and failing a victory by him in a contested convention will be voting Johnson in the general. I will even raise my right hand ant pledge my vote aloud, "heil Johnson!"
Gold: 260.11
Mar 11 2016 05:36pm
I'd feel left by the Republican party too, as should any reasonable person. They've left "we've got a job to do" town and been camping out on "batshit crazy" mountain since a bit before they got beat by the black guy.
Gold: 2,620.00
Mar 11 2016 07:00pm
So when Bernie Sanders complains about a corrupt campaign finance system, libertarians think it is stupid, but when Gary Johnson does it, it is amazing?

He looks like a well-principled candidate that I would like, and I generally like libertarianism, but I'm just saying both Sanders (and Trump) have made similar points about special interests and buying politicians to what he said about winning liberty in 1776.
Gold: 260.11
Mar 11 2016 07:55pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Mar 11 2016 07:00pm)
So when Bernie Sanders complains about a corrupt campaign finance system, libertarians think it is stupid, but when Gary Johnson does it, it is amazing?

He looks like a well-principled candidate that I would like, and I generally like libertarianism, but I'm just saying both Sanders (and Trump) have made similar points about special interests and buying politicians to what he said about winning liberty in 1776.

The difference is Johnson isn't going to do anything about it, just complain and fix nothing, and in some ways exacerbate the problem by removing limits.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12323Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll