d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Voter Id Good Idea? Or Illegal Poll Tax? > Decisions Are Across The Board
Prev1234514Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 83.30
Oct 16 2014 01:47pm
I'm ok with introducing mandatory voter ID as long as the first time the ID's are free.
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 16 2014 01:48pm
Quote (balrog66 @ Oct 16 2014 02:47pm)
I'm ok with introducing mandatory voter ID as long as the first time the ID's are free.

But what about the disenfranchised black man who managed to get to the government offices for his food stamps and welfare, but has literally no way to get to the DMV? What about him?
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Oct 16 2014 01:59pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Oct 16 2014 02:16pm)
I just find it hilarious that people oppose it. I also find it absolutely hilarious that so many people don't have an ID. Makes you wonder how they even exist in today's society.

Some people don't have all day to post on jsp - there to busy with Life - Work/Marriage/Kids/School
That they even show up to vote is a miracle - requiring VALID id is just another obstacle to the poor.

Quote (Mangix @ Oct 16 2014 02:56pm)
a bunch of tweets don't actually qualify as evidence

peoples personal story does count as evidence - regardless of the form they take.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Oct 16 2014 02:03pm
Gold: 0.00
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 16 Oct 2014 18:09)
...every voter should present a valid photo I.D. - no exceptions . I don't want to hear any sob stories about being too poor to afford one - get it or stay home .

Can't they be provided to everyone for free? How much does it cost anyway? a couple of cents per person?
Gold: 83.30
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 16 2014 07:48pm)
But what about the disenfranchised black man who managed to get to the government offices for his food stamps and welfare, but has literally no way to get to the DMV?  What about him?

As a Dutchman would say it, unfortunately peanut butter.
Gold: 24,402.34
Oct 16 2014 02:02pm
Quote (card_sultan @ 16 Oct 2014 14:59)
Some people don't have all day to post on jsp - there to busy with Life - Work/Marriage/Kids/School
That they even show up to vote is a miracle - requiring VALID id is just another obstacle to the poor.

If you don't have valid ID you can't get a job.
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 16 2014 02:04pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 16 2014 01:06pm)
http://www.thenation.com/blog/181942/voter-suppression-backfires-texas-and-wisconsin

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2014/1016/Arkansas-Supreme-Court-becomes-latest-to-strike-down-voter-ID-law

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/politics/texas-voter-id-law/index.html

There are I believe 21 states with voter ID legislation still up in the air at this time, Texas as you can see just turned over a ruling made earlier this month the District court of Appeals turned over a ruling by A State Superior Court Justice putting a halt to the voter ID law. claiming that it was too close to the voting time to make a change now. I call that BS. and quite a bit of it..it is Texas after all. stopping the voter ID law requires nothing more of the polling judges or the voters, while re-instituting it puts many of the poorest voters at a severe disadvantage. I applaud Arkansas for their ending the ID demand. and Wisconsin. I think Gov. Walker has just about painted himself into a corner he won't get out of between attempting to get the voter ID law passed, and his mul headediness regarding the state minimum wage. but I may save that for another thread.

what are your thoughts on voter ID's and is this something that the Supreme Court should step in on?

The liberals are upset in TX because they only accept state issued ID, which happens to include conceal-carry licenses (because you have to prove citizenship), but not college IDs (where they do not make such consideration). On its face, it seems blatantly partisan, but is completely logical given the citizenship check done prior to issuing those IDs.

In WI, they only put a stay on the law because it's too close to the election.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Oct 16 2014 02:08pm
Quote (Cellmat @ Oct 16 2014 04:02pm)
If you don't have valid ID you can't get a job.

not true - maybe with some jobs - I know my brother had out of Province ID for years, and still found work easy.

There are many situations which can make your ID not valid and alot of employers need the work done more than they care about id

You can start up your own business without valid id too.
Gold: 25.00
Oct 16 2014 02:16pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Oct 16 2014 02:59pm)
peoples personal story does count as evidence - regardless of the form they take.

so this would be evidence to you?

i made it for duffman to show him how illogical it is to consider tweets evidence, it took longer to upload the image than to alter the text in chrome.

It also takes about 15 seconds to make a new twitter account to post things.

Tweets are far from "evidence"

Though I feel I should add that YES personal stories are evidence, so a hand written letter/complain to the BOE, an interview with someone, etc are valid. Though, a tweet is not anything to base judgement of a law off of.

This post was edited by Mangix on Oct 16 2014 02:36pm
Gold: 270.56
Oct 16 2014 02:58pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 16 2014 10:36am)
i'm sure it's easy to say all poor people are lazy and it's because they're lazy that they're poor

ooooor maybe the truth is something else

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/146006217/why-new-photo-id-laws-mean-some-wont-vote

When Thelma Mitchell, a retired state employee, learned that her old employee ID (which was issued by the state and included her photo) wouldn't meet Tennessee's new voter ID law, she went to a motor vehicle office to obtain a valid photo ID. The agency asked her for a birth certificate, but she didn't have one and was denied her request for a new ID.

Mitchell, 93, has never had a birth certificate. She wasn't born in a hospital and was delivered by a midwife, in Alabama in 1918. Birth certificates, particularly for African-Americans in the South, weren't regularly generated at the time. As a result, Mitchell may not be able to vote this year for the first time in decades.

"I got so mad" about being turned away, Mitchell said in an interview. "I was holding my peace to keep from telling him off. So I didn't get to vote."

not a scenario likely to happen often, or for much longer at that.
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 16 2014 10:49am)
the motivation for these laws have nothing to do with preventing voter fraud, it's about preventing people from voting and you don't have to look far to see plenty of examples of the results republicans were looking for with these laws - legitimate voters being turned away for not having the right ids

and claiming that voter id laws lead to greater voter turn out makes no sense at all - explain how increasing the number of conditions that must be met in order to get something done gets more people doing it

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hdzaxc.jpg

-The first tweet could be problematic, ill agree. but with any photo id an some form of government, even if temporary, that should be enough.
-second photo kinda upsets me though. i may be wrong, but you typically have to be a resident of the county in which youre voting in. if youre in a state and haven made it a point to get the state id you now reside in, thats your fault. however, being that it is a government issued form of ID, it should be fine for proving your elegibility.
-third tweet ill also agree is stupid. funny side story, i couldnt order a beer with an expired ID at a restuarant. when it came time to pay, i told them to check my id. I refused to pay as my ID was expired they couldnt identify me properly. once their logic backfired on them, they vowed a change in policy and gave me my meal free.
-same as above somewhere.

I'm not saying they need to be as drastic as some of the above examples, but theres no reason to not have some form of government issues ID, be it an ID, License, Military ID, etc.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234514Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll