d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Voter Id Good Idea? Or Illegal Poll Tax? > Decisions Are Across The Board
Prev123414Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Oct 16 2014 12:36pm
Quote (Vereor @ Oct 16 2014 01:29pm)
People are lazy?  Let me ask you, how much to you enjoy waiting at the dmv for anything?

i'm sure it's easy to say all poor people are lazy and it's because they're lazy that they're poor

ooooor maybe the truth is something else

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/146006217/why-new-photo-id-laws-mean-some-wont-vote

When Thelma Mitchell, a retired state employee, learned that her old employee ID (which was issued by the state and included her photo) wouldn't meet Tennessee's new voter ID law, she went to a motor vehicle office to obtain a valid photo ID. The agency asked her for a birth certificate, but she didn't have one and was denied her request for a new ID.

Mitchell, 93, has never had a birth certificate. She wasn't born in a hospital and was delivered by a midwife, in Alabama in 1918. Birth certificates, particularly for African-Americans in the South, weren't regularly generated at the time. As a result, Mitchell may not be able to vote this year for the first time in decades.

"I got so mad" about being turned away, Mitchell said in an interview. "I was holding my peace to keep from telling him off. So I didn't get to vote."
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 16 2014 12:37pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 16 2014 02:35pm)
Free!! damn..  costs $5.00 here  damn tightassed farmer republicans  ;)

This was used as a direct answer to the Democrats very successful Get Out The Vote! it affects the poor and the minorities

those who don't have cars and don't need a drivers license it's going to cost not only for the license but for the state certified birth certificate as well and then for the copy.

this is and might as well be considered a poll tax.

...yet they'll lay out a couple of hundred bucks to see a Pitbull show and somehow manage to get there and back .
Gold: 25.00
Oct 16 2014 12:41pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 16 2014 01:36pm)
i'm sure it's easy to say all poor people are lazy and it's because they're lazy that they're poor

When Thelma Mitchell, a retired state employee, learned that her old employee ID (which was issued by the state and included her photo) wouldn't meet Tennessee's new voter ID law, she went to a motor vehicle office to obtain a valid photo ID. The agency asked her for a birth certificate, but she didn't have one and was denied her request for a new ID.

I don't think its lazy in that sense at all, its just like "man I really don't want to go sit at the dmv"

I think they added in a bunch of rules to make stuff like this count, drivers licenses that are like 10 years expired, etc. It has a good amount of leniency I believe.
Oct 16 2014 12:49pm
Quote (Mangix @ Oct 16 2014 01:41pm)
I don't think its lazy in that sense at all, its just like "man I really don't want to go sit at the dmv"

I think they added in a bunch of rules to make stuff like this count, drivers licenses that are like 10 years expired, etc. It has a good amount of leniency I believe.

the motivation for these laws have nothing to do with preventing voter fraud, it's about preventing people from voting and you don't have to look far to see plenty of examples of the results republicans were looking for with these laws - legitimate voters being turned away for not having the right ids

and claiming that voter id laws lead to greater voter turn out makes no sense at all - explain how increasing the number of conditions that must be met in order to get something done gets more people doing it

This post was edited by duffman316 on Oct 16 2014 12:51pm
Oct 16 2014 12:56pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 16 2014 01:49pm)
the motivation for these laws have nothing to do with preventing voter fraud, it's about preventing people from voting and you don't have to look far to see plenty of examples of the results republicans were looking for with these laws - legitimate voters being turned away for not having the right ids

and claiming that voter id laws lead to greater voter turn out makes no sense at all - explain how increasing the number of conditions that must be met in order to get something done gets more people doing it

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hdzaxc.jpg

a bunch of tweets don't actually qualify as evidence, just so were clear here lol. However, I don't know the exact specifications that Texas was rolling with, it was probably too strict
But how do they increase? Because people regard confidence in the system which is SORELY lacking currently, in many facets.

Though I'm glad my state is trying to take the most middle of the grown approach to it by allowing exceptions for certain types and ages of IDs.
Oct 16 2014 01:00pm
Quote (Mangix @ Oct 16 2014 01:56pm)
a bunch of tweets don't actually qualify as evidence, just so were clear here lol. However, I don't know the exact specifications that Texas was rolling with, it was probably too strict
But how do they increase? Because people regard confidence in the system which is SORELY lacking currently, in many facets.

Though I'm glad my state is trying to take the most middle of the grown approach to it by allowing exceptions for certain types and ages of IDs.

point with the tweets was that it isn't just poor black people being affected - poor people probably don't have twitter accounts anyway

you'll have to explain the sorely lacking bit as afaik voter fraud is "virtually non existent" (the phrase i see come up over and over)

perhaps similar to voter id laws we should pass more gun laws to ensure people are who they say they are when attempting to purchase firearms - would result in increased gun ownership to boot considering the wonders it did for voting

This post was edited by duffman316 on Oct 16 2014 01:02pm
Oct 16 2014 01:05pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 16 2014 02:00pm)
point with the tweets was that it isn't just poor black people being affected - poor people probably don't have twitter accounts anyway

So its not targeted at poor people? Glad we on the same page lol. And I just made the twitter comment because how easy shit like this is to do with a right click in google chrome.

Also, as a twitter user... there are a lot of poor people who use twitter, just like there are middle class or wealthy. Pretty much everyone has an iphone or something today. Go to the subway in a heavy poor population city. Go to the most ghetto area you can think of. Everyone on that damn sub or bus has their iphones in their palms and beats on their head.

http://i.imgur.com/1BZAoUJ.png (just made this for you)

you'll have to explain the sorely lacking bit as afaik voter fraud is "virtually non existent" (the phrase i see come up over and over)

confidence in the entire political system is what I was speaking towards. Integrity matters. Voter integrity too. People are constantly concerned that their vote doesn't even matter. Not necessarily because of fraud, but because they don't trust the system. Anything that makes the system seem more secure and working as it should, would be positive in my eyes.

perhaps similar to voter id laws we should pass more gun laws to ensure people are who they say they are when attempting to purchase guns

I'm fine with stricter ID laws for gun purchasing, I mean, it can take a life so it is kind of important. Though I'm assuming that was a joking dig at the outrage of stricter gun laws.

This post was edited by Mangix on Oct 16 2014 01:07pm
Gold: 0.76
Oct 16 2014 01:07pm
Honestly at least in my state the whole thing would be redundant, because you have to have a proof of residency to get a voter registration card, and you have to have a registration card to vote
Oct 16 2014 01:09pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Oct 16 2014 02:07pm)
Honestly at least in my state the whole thing would be redundant, because you have to have a proof of residency to get a voter registration card, and you have to have a registration card to vote

what is proof of residency for you guys? Its stupidly easy here. When I signed up for a voter reg after moving I was baffled, to say the least.
They asked me my address (which I didn't "technically, legally" live at) and that was it.
They signed me up. The only requirement on my end was...
When the voter card arrived at my house, I needed to mail back the card if it was the wrong address.
I didn't even need my id, ss, or anything when signing up

Like what the fuck haha.

I probably could have told them my name was Mr. Popageorgeo or w/e
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 16 2014 01:43pm
Quote (Mangix @ Oct 16 2014 01:20pm)
We still got a mountain of absolute and utter hatred from our loving lefties

Nothing more tasty than liberal tears.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123414Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll