d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Bill Maher Attacks Islam As A Bad Idea > Ben Affleck Defends It
Prev12345614Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Oct 7 2014 12:24pm
Sam Harris talking about Islam -> nothing worth my while.

Quote (Skinned @ Oct 7 2014 05:00pm)
They only connected during the medieval times in the great experiment of theocracy after the fall of Rome.

well, the Pope certainly had good relations with Charlemagne and Pepin, but the only theocracy of those times was the Papal state that Pepin granted. later rulers would regularly disagree or even war with the Pope.
the autocratic Eastern Roman Empire (and the Russian Empire which heavily drew from Eastern Roman tradition) could be considered to be somewhat theocratic even when compared to the divine rights of European kings, if that's what you're referring to. Calvin's Geneva and the Papal States are the only examples of proper theocracies that i can name off the top of my head (if prince-bishoprics aren't counted.)
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 7 2014 05:00pm)
Before and since they've been separate and with good reason.  It has served us well, Islam hasn't had that separation and they are worse off for it.

the Kingdom of Sweden followed the Mosaic law alongside with its' secular laws after the Reformation and the church held many secular duties as well. we can pretty much trace the modern state churches of Sweden and Finland to the Reformation and the ties between worldly and religious authorities. it's also worth noticing that the last seriously taken Caliphat - the Ottoman Empire - sought to westernise their law while preserving religious law (and the Sultan's authority as a Caliph) during the so called Tanzimat period.
the legacy of French and American enlightenment secularism might skew your view a bit here :P
Gold: 14.88
Oct 7 2014 01:09pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 7 2014 06:00am)
I love how you libertarians worship the free market until it does something you don't like.  People being fired for stuff their employer doesn't like is part of the free market.  If you want job security, start a union.  Ugh.

The free market is no place to find morality or values concerning expression. It is economic, and ought to be left separate from other elements of society. Outside of the production of goods, those free market principles are some of the most damaging notions you can unleash upon society. Those who still find Capitalism and a Free Market correctly realize that those institutions are still helpful for creating the on-the-surface triumphant man. However, he is empty, he has no values. He lacks all meaning and his life is without understanding.

The age becomes meaningless, the barriers between all melt away and individuality disappears. You're only left with the masses, every niche market is made mainstream, every consumer is melted down into one. This is not the dangers of Marxism, but of Capitalism and the free market too. Materialism and mob authority, steered and directed appropriately, accomplishes the goal all the same. A world free from race, gender, nations, values. A world without identity.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Oct 7 2014 01:29pm
Religion and Politics don't mix.
Islamic ideals are the opposite of democratic ones.
People often get confused.
Gold: 500.00
Oct 7 2014 05:33pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 7 2014 09:00am)
Nobody thinks that.  Bill Mahr seems to be able to say controversial things without getting fired, I'm a liberal and I'm okay with that.

uh

pretty sure he's the only one that got fired over 911

Gold: 17.00
Oct 7 2014 05:44pm
I wonder if bill mahr being Jewish has something to do with it. Even tho nI kinda tend to be on bills side because its hard to detach the violent acts from the so called religion.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Oct 7 2014 05:58pm
they just arrested 15 people in Australia planning to do public beheading's and had more arrests in London for the same thing.

I heard they found them by just searching on the internet for people who think Zionism is a real thing!
Gold: Locked
Oct 7 2014 06:15pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 7 2014 08:26am)
Its been awhile  :lol:

I wish him, Shay, or other strong, leftist, posters posted more, would take the case load off me a little.

I still have Thor and Viv  :lol:

The left "having" Viv is like the right "having" HST.
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 7 2014 06:25pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Oct 7 2014 07:15pm)
The left "having" Viv is like the right "having" HST.

Gold: 119,903.34
Oct 7 2014 06:59pm
Quote (Gastly @ Oct 7 2014 01:24pm)
Sam Harris talking about Islam -> nothing worth my while.

well, the Pope certainly had good relations with Charlemagne and Pepin, but the only theocracy of those times was the Papal state that Pepin granted. later rulers would regularly disagree or even war with the Pope.
the autocratic Eastern Roman Empire (and the Russian Empire which heavily drew from Eastern Roman tradition) could be considered to be somewhat theocratic even when compared to the divine rights of European kings, if that's what you're referring to. Calvin's Geneva and the Papal States are the only examples of proper theocracies that i can name off the top of my head (if prince-bishoprics aren't counted.)

the Kingdom of Sweden followed the Mosaic law alongside with its' secular laws after the Reformation and the church held many secular duties as well. we can pretty much trace the modern state churches of Sweden and Finland to the Reformation and the ties between worldly and religious authorities. it's also worth noticing that the last seriously taken Caliphat - the Ottoman Empire - sought to westernise their law while preserving religious law  (and the Sultan's authority as a Caliph) during the so called Tanzimat period.
the legacy of French and American enlightenment secularism might skew your view a bit here :P

Would be hard for it not to. The colonies separate from Britain and France helped and then get the idea it would be cool to get rid of royalty as well and cut their King's head off in public.

Gold: 18,470.03
Oct 7 2014 07:52pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 7 2014 06:33pm)
uh

pretty sure he's the only one that got fired over 911

Gilbert gottfried got fired over 911

This post was edited by nineinchnailz on Oct 7 2014 07:52pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345614Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll