d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Watching The Nfl Is Immoral
Prev1345678Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 133,165.00
Sep 18 2014 02:44pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Sep 18 2014 01:20pm)
We have had a huge number of shitty threads recently.  HUGE number.
But this one is a whole new level of shitty.

this is all you ever contribute to any thread. Make a thread of your own then? Let us judge your thread lmk
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 18 2014 02:55pm
Quote (RUSSiABANK @ Sep 18 2014 03:44pm)
this is all you ever contribute to any thread. Make a thread of your own then? Let us judge your thread lmk

door.jpg
Gold: 18,470.03
Sep 18 2014 03:48pm
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 18 2014 10:41am)
Or MMA.

Cheerleaders occasionally fall on their heads.  Ban it.

Come on be serious. Cheerleaders? Do a third of them get brain damage? Do any of them?
Sep 18 2014 03:59pm
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 18 2014 03:10pm)
Actually, now they are.  Even our first woman president has commented on it.

The guys made a life decision and will have to deal with the consequences.  Again, just because you disagree with that decision doesn't mean they weren't capable of making it.  You guys need to get rid of this complex where you think people don't process just as well as you do.

The parallels between the NFL and the tobacco industry are plentiful. They should be forced to pay damages and fund an educational course given to all prospective athletes before they sign a contract so they can see first hand what happens to former football players.

If they provide athletes with the information beforehand I have no problem with it.
Sep 18 2014 04:02pm
Quote (RUSSiABANK @ Sep 18 2014 03:44pm)

There are 3 people who I tend to ignore as they contribute nothing to any conversation. All of them have shown up on this thread.
Gold: 63,142.89
Sep 18 2014 04:20pm
The NFL does need to be pressured to catch up with the science on this topic. They need to fairly compensate players (current and former) with health care benefits that match the health risks they are taking on by playing.
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 18 2014 04:27pm
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Sep 18 2014 04:59pm)
The parallels between the NFL and the tobacco industry are plentiful.  They should be forced to pay damages and fund an educational course given to all prospective athletes before they sign a contract so they can see first hand what happens to former football players.

If they provide athletes with the information beforehand I have no problem with it.

Marlboro doesn't pay for my hospital visits because I was a lifelong smoker... why would the NFL have to pay anything? The teams pay the athletes for their professional skills/services, and that's the contract. They are free to go get a shitty job with shitty pay like the rest of us.

Here's an honest question: do you think any current player going into the NFL is not aware of the risks of multiple concussions?

This post was edited by IceMage on Sep 18 2014 04:31pm
Gold: 119,903.34
Sep 18 2014 04:48pm
Removing the facemask from the game would solve most concussion related problems. There would just be more other head injuries to the face/eyes and in the event of a big head on hit w/o a helmet, potential fatal injury. But overall less concussion related injuries would occur.

Also players now have to go through protocols to play in games after they've had a concussion and aren't allowed to go back in the current game if they have one.

If this was the case for the 30+ years before this, it would have reduced the effects by a fair amount.

We are already seeing it in the NFL that now people are hitting lower with the new rules and stigma on hitting high. And as usual, leg injuries are going up and some bad ones have happened that otherwise wouldn't.

It's a violent sport but there was a lot of things that could have been in place in the past to limit the consequences though.

The lawsuits are mainly attacking this that the NFL did not take these precautions in the name of profits. Players knew about the risks but it's still the case the employer had their employees in danger and chose not to limit the damage. Now the NFL is in full on mitigate the damage mode. And the future of the NFL is going to be different much to other people's dismay who don't care that people are destroying their brains out there.

I mean I as far as a case they maybe were not aware of potential head injury. That's just laughable. And I'm not really going to care if former players sue the NFL. The NFL willingly took decisions to limit the spread of information related to head/spinal injuries associated with the NFL. They tried to downplay the consequences. They willingly prevented certain protocols/practices from being implemented to limit head trauma and they are negligent in their management of player safety all in the name of profits. So they have blame. And so do the people who watch it and wouldn't want the high physicality to go away because it might make players safer.

This isn't an easy topic, if you think the NFL is guilt free here, then I don't know what to tell you. But the NFL is settling and and taking a big move to try and appear like they are trying to change the culture of hitting in the sport because they know their history is dirty in regards to how they've operated and treated head injuries.
Sep 19 2014 01:10am
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 18 2014 05:27pm)
Marlboro doesn't pay for my hospital visits because I was a lifelong smoker... why would the NFL have to pay anything?  The teams pay the athletes for their professional skills/services, and that's the contract.  They are free to go get a shitty job with shitty pay like the rest of us.

Here's an honest question:  do you think any current player going into the NFL is not aware of the risks of multiple concussions?

Tobacco companies have been forced to pay out many BILLIONS of dollars. Just like the tobacco companies, the NFL tried to cover up what was happening. That's why the NFL should have to pay.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9745797/new-book-league-denial-says-nfl-used-resources-power-two-decades-deny-football-link-brain-damage

the NFL used its power and resources to discredit independent scientists and their work; that the league cited research data that minimized the dangers of concussions while emphasizing the league's own flawed research; and that league executives employed an aggressive public relations strategy designed to keep the public unaware of what league executives really knew about the effects of playing the game.

That doesn't sound like players had an informed decision. NOW that all of this has come to light I would hope players can make an informed decision. Players who have already been signed up however, have clear cause to take legal action.

The First Lawsuits Against Cigarette Manufacturers
When the first reports emerged linking cigarettes to cancer emerged in the 1950s, plaintiffs began suing cigarette manufacturers. Plaintiffs in these early cases -- usually smokers with lung cancer -- typically employed several legal theories in their lawsuits:

negligent manufacture - the tobacco companies failed to act with reasonable care in making and marketing cigarettes
product liability - the tobacco companies made and marketed a product that was unfit to use
negligent advertising - the tobacco companies failed to warn consumers of the risks of smoking cigarettes
fraud, and
violation of state consumer protection statutes (most of which prohibit unfair and deceptive business practices).

Tobacco manufacturers responded in full force, fighting each lawsuit and refusing to settle out of court. They relied on several defense strategies, arguing that:

Tobacco was not harmful to smokers.
Smokers' cancer was caused by other factors.
Smokers assumed the risk of cancer when they decided to smoke.

That defense sounds familiar.

a California jury ordered Philip Morris to pay $51.5 million to a California smoker with inoperable lung cancer.

In November 1998, the attorneys general of 46 states and four of the largest tobacco companies agreed to settle the state cases. Terms of the settlement are referred to as the Master Settlement Agreement. Highlights include:
Tobacco companies agreed to refrain from engaging in certain advertising practices, particularly ad campaigns that marketed cigarettes towards kids.
Tobacco companies agreed to pay annual sums of money to the states to compensate them for health-care costs related to smoking (a minimum of $206 billion over the first twenty-five years).
The settlement created and funded the National Public Education Foundation, dedicated to reducing youth smoking and preventing diseases associated with smoking.
Tobacco companies dissolved three of the biggest tobacco industry organizations.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tobacco-litigation-history-and-development-32202.html

I rest my case.

This post was edited by nineinchnailz on Sep 19 2014 01:19am
Gold: 152.00
Sep 19 2014 01:25am
I'm confused about the point, the players and the public have been intimately aware of the risk of consussion for years if not decades.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1345678Next
Closed New Topic New Poll