d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Neo Segregation - An Issue Of Race
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Sep 9 2014 10:41am
Quote (killg0re @ Sep 9 2014 10:39am)
Some have more than others, therefore have more use when geniuses are needed.

Has it gotten to the point in our society that we cannot celebrate positive differences without someone having sour grapes?

A positive difference for one race would make another inferior. So, no.
Gold: 9,039.20
Sep 9 2014 10:42am
Quote (PixileDust @ Sep 9 2014 10:41am)

Not necessarily, it simply makes them insecure wankers.
Gold: 152.00
Sep 9 2014 10:46am
Quote (PixileDust @ Sep 9 2014 12:41pm)

Inferior at that particular thing, not inferior as a whole or ethically less important.
Sep 9 2014 11:26am
Gold: 20.00
Sep 9 2014 12:43pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 9 2014 10:46am)
Inferior at that particular thing, not inferior as a whole or ethically less important.

What is a whole other than a composition of parts?
Sep 9 2014 06:26pm
Quote (PixileDust @ Sep 9 2014 12:43pm)
What is a whole other than a composition of parts?

Well, i'm not one to deny the reality of something because it makes someone uncomfortable.

The validity of something doesn't rely on your sensibilities.

Gold: 2,900.49
Sep 10 2014 08:00am
Furthermore, the bad kind of inequality is only caused by acts people commit that are disadvantageous to society.

Rawls states this as a logic conclusion, much like 2+2=4.

You seem like you're familiar with his argument, so I'm -- how does he propose to calculate the advantage or disadvantage to society, caused by inequality, with mathematical certainty?

There's some bullshit rambling coming up, so you're free to ignore what I post below if you so choose.

I'm curious how we make some ethical principle that's based entirely on an action's relationship to society, because while humans do general exist in a society they aren't necessarily mutually inclusive, I mean not all humans live in society while we could make a claim that all humans, for example, have bodies, or experience pleasure and pain (barring some medical accident or something), so how would Rawls' argument hold up if you have a group of, say, four humans stuck on an island. Would it remain the same, with "society" being defined now as the group of four people or would ethics and whatnot just be damned and whatever happens happens?

I guess I'm wondering if there's value to be had in establishing some form of fairness, regardless of how it "benefits society" (I'm sure he goes to length to explain what he means by this).
Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 10 2014 09:18am
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 10 2014 10:00am)
You seem like you're familiar with his argument, so I'm -- how does he propose to calculate the advantage or disadvantage to society, caused by inequality, with mathematical certainty?

There's some bullshit rambling coming up, so you're free to ignore what I post below if you so choose.

I'm curious how we make some ethical principle that's based entirely on an action's relationship to society, because while humans do general exist in a society they aren't necessarily mutually inclusive, I mean not all humans live in society while we could make a claim that all humans, for example, have bodies, or experience pleasure and pain (barring some medical accident or something), so how would Rawls' argument hold up if you have a group of, say, four humans stuck on an island. Would it remain the same, with "society" being defined now as the group of four people or would ethics and whatnot just be damned and whatever happens happens?

I guess I'm wondering if there's value to be had in establishing some form of fairness, regardless of how it "benefits society" (I'm sure he goes to length to explain what he means by this).

I don't think advantage and disadvantage should be looked at as something to institutionalize and craft a set of rules for.

Its better for individuals to become familiar with the patterns and then use that knowledge to make the best of what they have.

The moment you try to make more complicated rules about interaction you change the incentives of interaction and create a new set of problems that are difficult to understand let alone control. The strong will find ways around the new rules and the weak will be at greater disadvantage because they don't fully understand the new incentives.

People who overcome poor environments understand the pattern of interactions in that way.
Gold: 286,210.50
Sep 10 2014 09:30pm
Quote (killg0re @ Sep 9 2014 11:46am)
So?

More geniuses exist in some races than others, they're just better.

Equality doesn't exist, it is a thought-terminating concept that was never anything more than an assumption to begin with.

nazi
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll