d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > John Sirmons -- AMA And Advice Thread > Competitive Powerlifter / Personal Trainer
Prev12345621Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 175.00
May 25 2013 11:58pm
Besides hitting them hard an heavy , do you have an Ab "routine" that you follow/ care to share ?

Thanks
Gold: 0.00
May 26 2013 03:06am
Hey,

so last week I decided to change programs from Bill Stars Intermediate 5x5 to Pendlay's 5x5 Advanced program. I felt I was having a hard time moving up weights in a linear progression even after 2 deloads and that it was time to move on to a more advanced program. As you know, 5x5 intermediate all sets are ramping weights while Pendlay's 5x5 advanced is 5 sets all same weight. I downloaded the excel sheet, and plugged in this number for my squat: 405lb for 2 reps, my best being 435lb for 2 reps. According to the sheet, it recommended week#1 to start at 274lb for all 5 sets squat. Week 1 wasn't too bad, but then week#2, 308 lb for 5, it was really hard to get all 5. And next week I am supposed to do 342lb for 5 again. Is it really normal for one to be able to do this much volume after changing from a program that used ramping weights? It is almost two times the volume I used to do, eventho its even distributed in 5 sets. And what is more scary, is that on Week#9 I am supposed to do 405 for 3 sets of 3. Is it possible to get used to that much volume in just a few weeks?

Second question, my bench press is quite low compared to my other lifts (225lb). It feels that 5x5 isn't enough for bench press, but it worked wonders for my deadlift and squat. I decided to replace the 5x5 bench to Mike Macdonalds 8 week Bench routine which consist of benching 3 times a week, including paused sets and close grip sets. Eventho I progressed at the same rate as 5x5, the weights felt very doable every week, contrary to 5x5 which felt like I was gonna fail everytime. Now that I am doing pendlay's, I am afraid of incorporating Mike macdonalds to the new 5x5, because it requires me to bench 2x a week, and adding bench to the third day on a already very taxing program feels like overtraining. Would you say I stick to Pendlay's 5x5 advanced without any tweaks? Or should I keep doing mike macdonalds and just add bench to the Push Press/Deadlift day?

Lastly, I am currently doing weighted hyperextensions for assistance but it got to a point that I felt I wasnt getting much from it. I decided to switch to good mornings but I don't really feel it on my erectors and glutes. Maybe I am not flexible enough to go low or maybe I am doing it wrong, so I started doing seated good mornings and I do feel it a lot more, but I am worried I could be getting a lot more from doing it standing. What would you say has a better carry over to deadlifts and squats?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
May 26 2013 03:23am
Love it, John.
Love you man..
Warn: 10%
May 26 2013 04:44am
Glad to see you'll be more often here John :)
And sorry for intruding but
Quote (Ladsy @ May 25 2013 09:19pm)
bulking to 105 so the weight is only gonna increase, not just pull ups, everything

pull ups specifically because im in a competition

Have you thought of a gtg program. My pull ups blew up when I started doing pull ups every day. Went from like 12-15 pull ups at 85kgs to 30 pull ups at 98 KGS (my best ever done).
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 26 2013 09:55am
Quote (RecenT @ May 25 2013 08:20pm)
Lol yeah... I was the one "looking for a roommate". I was in Valdosta for college but not anymore.
Anyhow, here is my plan.

From assumption, a lot of trainers are extremely strict on diet since we all can agree that diet is the biggest factor in losing/gaining weight and healthiness. In today's society, I believe that we live to enjoy ourselves. That can range as far as to eating, and although healthy foods can be enjoyable, it is likewise that junk food is just as enjoyable as well. To each their own, we have our preference and its very unlikely that some of us don't want to eat healthy all the time as an enjoyable meal. We want to taste something different that a healthy meal wouldn't have in terms of taste-bud.

My proposition is to re-adjust their eating style rather than forcing them to eat healthy all the time. People just don't give a fuck, just like smoking, but it doesn't mean they have to be obese. I want to incorporate the daily food they want to eat ( because a want is much more fun in life than a need ) but reduce the amount of portion and substitute the rest in fruits and other condiments of healthy choices. Of course I would always encourage them to cook a healthy meal, as that is my goal but also understanding that we don't have to give up a certain category group of food known as "junk".

Personally I believe anything can be done simply based on their mentality even if the are eating shit food. What do you think about a trainer giving this type of "training". Do you think it will work ( I have yet to experiment but I have people who are willing to be test subjects ). To say the least, can we adjust the diet to balance healthy food with junk instead of all healthy food and still be able to achieve our goal in aesthetics or numbers in weight?

Clean food is just better processed by the body and also has healthy fats in it unlike most junk food; not to mention all the preservatives etc.
You should read Skip loading or shit loading. Ken Skip Hill is a guy I know of whos made it famous online.
You basically eat clean, then carb load on Sundays, which is as much carbs as you can get in, with no fats.

Quote (bnrhodes2 @ May 25 2013 08:35pm)
It wasn't that confusing really as there is a pattern.

We'll say for my example for hang clean:
5x195  65%
3x235              80%
4x205  70%
2x250              85%
3x220  75%
1x265              90%
2x235  80%
1x295              100%

So, if you tease it apart, it would be like doing a set of 5,4,3,2 with increase of 10-15lbs interspersed with a set of 3,2,1,1 with increases of 15-30lbs. Your body actually can't perceive small changes in load very well  when you are dealing with higher loads(surprisingly - at least according to Weber's Law), so toward the end the weights start to mess with your head a bit when you are bouncing around with the percentages - it didn't get more difficult from my experience though.

The way you just described is very similar to how I've done maxes with squat/bench, which I never really plateaued on.
ex (my bench max - I liked having more gradual jumps in weight, as in never more than 60lbs between sets):
15xBar
12x95
10x135
8x195
4x255
2x315
1x345
1x365
1x385
1x405

I did get stuck with olympic lifts though, so my coach had me do the wave thing as described above for a few workouts when they stalled and it resulted in a PR.

I have presented this to both burns and boxa and one point or another in the past, and neither of them have dealt with it either. I just didn't think this was that "out there" for 3 of the more established lifters here to have never seen it/done it before.

The pattern its self is not confusing, just the sequence its self is whats confusing and I personally think its very counter productive.

Oly lifts are mostly technique and not much strength involved(shit storm I'm sure) thus they are tricky to progress on.

Quote (Ladsy @ May 25 2013 10:19pm)
bulking to 105 so the weight is only gonna increase, not just pull ups, everything

pull ups specifically because im in a competition

I'd suggest you implement a program specifically designed for pull ups then into your training. Also don't underestimate accessories when wanting your pull ups to go up.

http://www.lamarineofficerprograms.com/The_Armstrong_Workout.pdf
Check this out and let me know what you think.

Quote (HyphyIll @ May 25 2013 11:05pm)
Love it, John. Don't forget that you turn off the instinct to control the weight when you go big on deadlift..a woman with 150lb deadlifts is left with only 5 lbs to control it laterally, you still be around 150 lateral, maybe less..There's a civil war kicking up, John..write Air Force and Army generals and Navy admirals with your reasons you can make this place better and how you can help..my free weight? 965 standing on my shoulders in the cage...Love you man..

ralph, pls
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 26 2013 10:07am
Quote (Helicopter @ May 26 2013 12:15am)
yoo currently prepping for a bb show.. tried to design my program so i can gain strengths while cutting down. doing a legs/push/pull/rest repeat thingy 3~ reps on bench squat n dead w accessory movements in the "hypertrophy" range on the first l/p/p/r then once i repeat i do all hypertrophy rep range stuffs.. completely dumb? any tips for helping me gain strenf and get ripped as hell?

To be able to recovery from really hard workouts you need a lot of food. In addition, you joints are drying out because you are losing body fat and water weight weekly so I'd advise you to be careful doing it heavy.

I'm not sure of your diet how far out you are or anything like that, but the best advice I can give is to stick to the program that built you your hard earned muscle in the first place. Going into a body building show you want to maintain muscle mass as gaining it is difficult without the correct diet, and it depends if you are an enhanced lifter or not too.

Hope that helps.

Quote (Aimed_Shot @ May 26 2013 01:50am)
Any thoughts on a stalling bench?

Training 5/3/1. 3.5-4k cals. Squat deadlift and even standing press have been increasing consistently but my bench has just been stuck right around 225 for a while now. Hesitant to change up programming too much because 5/3/1 has been working very well for my other lifts

Appreciate it

Train the shit out of your tris/lats and rear delts. Try resetting just the bench and see if that helps, and then hammer the muscle grounds I mentioned before this.

Quote (45sz @ May 26 2013 01:58am)
Besides hitting them hard an heavy ,  do you have an Ab "routine" that you follow/ care to share ?

Thanks

Sure, nothing special.
I use bands from WBB and I do crunches with them 2x a week, KK the super strong powerlifter does them exclusively for his ab routine. my sets are 4x30 I'll probably bump this up soon to 5x30 or use my stronger bands.
2x a week I do heavy side bends 5x10.
Next wave I'll likely implement leg raises for 5x20 until I can go heavy.

Quote (Hardcliff @ May 26 2013 05:06am)
Hey,

so last week I decided to change programs from Bill Stars Intermediate 5x5 to Pendlay's 5x5 Advanced program. I felt I was having a hard time moving up weights in a linear progression even after 2 deloads and that it was time to move on to a more advanced program. As you know, 5x5 intermediate all sets are ramping weights while Pendlay's 5x5 advanced is 5 sets all same weight. I downloaded the excel sheet, and plugged in this number for my squat: 405lb for 2 reps, my best being 435lb for 2 reps. According to the sheet, it recommended week#1 to start at 274lb for all 5 sets squat. Week 1 wasn't too bad, but then week#2, 308 lb for 5, it was really hard to get all 5. And next week I am supposed to do 342lb for 5 again. Is it really normal for one to be able to do this much volume after changing from a program that used ramping weights? YOU'D BE SURPRISED HOW MUCH VOLUME YOU CAN HANDLE IT JUST TAKES TIME TO BUILD UP TO IT. It is almost two times the volume I used to do, eventho its even distributed in 5 sets. And what is more scary, is that on Week#9 I am supposed to do 405 for 3 sets of 3. Is it possible to get used to that much volume in just a few weeks? YES, MAKE SURE YOUR DIET IS IN CHECK

Second question, my bench press is quite low compared to my other lifts (225lb). It feels that 5x5 isn't enough for bench press, but it worked wonders for my deadlift and squat. I decided to replace the 5x5 bench to Mike Macdonalds 8 week Bench routine which consist of benching 3 times a week, including paused sets and close grip sets. Eventho I progressed at the same rate as 5x5, the weights felt very doable every week, contrary to 5x5 which felt like I was gonna fail everytime. Now that I am doing pendlay's, I am afraid of incorporating Mike macdonalds to the new 5x5, because it requires me to bench 2x a week, and adding bench to the third day on a already very taxing program feels like overtraining. Would you say I stick to Pendlay's 5x5 advanced without any tweaks? YES DONT CHANGE THE PROGRAM, HE IS A  VERY GOOD STRENGTH COACH AND I'M SURE HAS TRAINED EVERY VARIATION OF THE PROGRAM. Or should I keep doing mike macdonalds and just add bench to the Push Press/Deadlift day?

Lastly, I am currently doing weighted hyperextensions for assistance but it got to a point that I felt I wasnt getting much from it. I decided to switch to good mornings but I don't really feel it on my erectors and glutes. Maybe I am not flexible enough to go low or maybe I am doing it wrong, so I started doing seated good mornings and I do feel it a lot more, but I am worried I could be getting a lot more from doing it standing. What would you say has a better carry over to deadlifts and squats? BOTH ARE EXCELLENT, DO BOTH TO CHANGE IT UP. WHEN I DO ANY MOVEMENT I RARELY FEEL IT IN THE MUSCLE GROUP, MOSTLY IN MY STOMACH LIKE A SICK FEELING. TRUST ME THAT MUSCLE GROUP IS GETTING WORKED.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thanks for the thought out post. I'm in caps.

May 26 2013 12:32pm
thanks for the insight bro!
Gold: 1,310.23
May 26 2013 12:56pm
Quote (Diggins @ May 25 2013 03:47pm)
Dyer, Sirmons, JerBear tearing up Tampa. Make it happen boys.

I live like 30min from tampa

Alright so I'm going to get my feet wet in some PL meets.

Thoughts on knee sleeves? looking to get the rehbands

Which organizations would a natural trainee want to stick with? I also wld like to be able to use: belt,sleeves,chalk... im not sure what orgs have certain rules.

Training/prepping template suggestions?
My goal is still bodybuilding but I do want to try and run a couple powerlifting templates. I ran Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 for months and enjoyed it but definitely dont see it as a means to peaking for a pl meet.

any general advice for a first time competitor?

I'm sure I'll be back with more precise questions once I dig into the information itself.

This post was edited by TheOak on May 26 2013 12:57pm
May 26 2013 01:02pm
Quote (TheOak @ May 26 2013 02:56pm)
I live like 30min from tampa

Alright so I'm going to get my feet wet in some PL meets.

Thoughts on knee sleeves? looking to get the rehbands

Which organizations would a natural trainee want to stick with?  I also wld like to be able to use: belt,sleeves,chalk... im not sure what orgs have certain rules.

Training/prepping template suggestions?
My goal is still bodybuilding but I do want to try and run a couple powerlifting templates.  I ran Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 for months and enjoyed it but definitely dont see it as a means to peaking for a pl meet.

any general advice for a first time competitor?

I'm sure I'll be back with more precise questions once I dig into the information itself.

also curious for all of above
Gold: 53.50
May 26 2013 07:14pm
I'm not entirely too sure of how this concept, skip loading, works. It seems like what you are doing is eating and on a certain week ( assuming an important week where a contest may occur ) you et a shitload of carbs then drop it all after the contest. I tried to see if there's something else like a book he has made or something but so far Ive only been able to find Q&A's of his system.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12345621Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll