d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > John Sirmons -- AMA And Advice Thread > Competitive Powerlifter / Personal Trainer
Prev123421Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.50
Warn: 20%
May 25 2013 02:45pm
Quote (7_Deadly_Sins @ May 25 2013 08:42pm)
Shit head answer. Lose weight and get stronger

Actual advice, well that depends. Military people who want to be good specifically at pull ups would get different advice, so tell me if you want to be good at JUST pull ups, or better at pull ups in general.

Anything with bands or chains will help, ESPECIALLY bands because they are actively pulling against you.
For specific exercises box squats will help you tremendously, so will jumping on boxes(hold dumbbells or weight vest)

You basically want to train for power, so any variation of squats, good mornings dead lifts etc. They all complement each other, and will have a carry over. You'll want to do them heavy so you get stronger and that will translate into you being faster and having better explosive strength. I'll say it again, get some bands and chains and you'll love them. I can not put it into words how explosive they will make you.

I'd recommend you look into speed work that Westside does as that helps build explosiveness, then apply it to your training. When you have a general grasp of it come back and I'll clear up any confusing parts.

Westiside is a conjugate system, so there is no set template. I just finished a wave and I am starting a new one.

On ME days (M/W) we do a squat or bench varation, and I decide on which I need to do at the gym. My personal weakness for lower body is hams, so I do a lot of good mornings. For bench, tris are weak on me, so I try to do something that hits tris extra hard.

F/S is DE. I had a hurt foot so I didnt do them yesturday, but todays workout was this
Balastic bench with dumb bells hanging about 1.5 feet, 9x3
drop weight, keep the DBs hanging 3x10
Rolling tri kick backs 5x15
1 arm DB row 3x20
tri push down 5x20
Hammer curls 3x10
Rear delt flys 1x15 2x10
Band pull aparts 3x25
Heavy side bends 3x10

Every 3 weeks I completely change accessories, except a couple because I 1. Have limited machines, BUT I do change my rep ranges and weight.

When I meant template I meant your current custom template, I'm aware that Westside isn't a set template lol.

Looks good though.
Gold: 0.01
May 25 2013 02:47pm
Quote (xGeArz @ 25 May 2013 15:45)
When I meant template I meant your current custom template, I'm aware that Westside isn't a set template lol.

Looks good though.

Dyer, Sirmons, JerBear tearing up Tampa. Make it happen boys.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 25 2013 02:51pm
Quote (carteblanche @ May 25 2013 01:44pm)
how many years have you been doing it for?

what lifting-related injuries have you had? were they your fault (eg: bad form, overworked, etc) or were they unpreventable?

knowing what you know now, knowing how much time and hard work it took, knowing the rewards, would you recommend powerlifting to a normal person? at what age is it too late to start weight lifting? 30, 40, 50, etc

Doing what westside? maybe a year
In general? 7
Lifting seriously? 3-4

Injuries..1. from doing incline BB Press. I hurt my left wrist some how, still bothers me today but barely, I need to get it looked at by my body therapist. That one was kind of a fluke, I kept going and even did tris after while it was hurting so I made it worse. I learned from that to listen to my body and its beter to miss 1 workout than 4 or 20,(Which is why I took yesterday off and did high rep stuff)
2. Dead lifting 495..I've done 495 probably 50 million times. I hurt my back very badly, real bad strain because I didn't work out my abs. I had Shane ask Louie and his first questions was does he train abs. I now hit abs 4x a week HEAVY and HARD. That one was preventable.
3. One time I was squatting and tl;dr I got my finger nail pinched in the squat rack, it had a ton of blood in it and was very sensitive. I went home, heated up a needle and tried to poke it, didn't work. Heated it to where the needle was white and poked it, blood squirted up a whales blow hole.
4. When I was training in gear I had a single ply bench shirt(titan) and long story short it was aggravating my left bicep very bad. It'd be like a sharp pain shoot through it. I never found out what did it, but I stopped using a shirt and it went away on its on.

When you lift its just a matter of time until you get hurt, pre hab is very important and listening to your body. You WILL get hurt, but you can minimize it, learn from other peoples mistakes and try not to get hurt.

I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone one. It takes a certain person to power lift and you can quickly tell if you are cut out or not for it. I'd rather squat 1000 pounds than look like I can squat 1000 pounds.
At what age? As long as you are above ground you can do it. A lot of people get caught up with trying to win the whole meet, I am guilty of that too. But you are only beating yourself at every meet. try to improve your total and you'll be fine. My next meet I dont care how I place, i just want a better total.
Quote (Diggins @ May 25 2013 01:53pm)
Do you want to come hangout with me down in Tampa?

Sure, I hate driving though so I never will. haha No seriously, I HATE driving.
Retired Moderator
May 25 2013 02:52pm
Quote (RecenT @ May 25 2013 01:54pm)
I have a ton of questions! It would be awesome if we can talk more in depth whether it is here or on Facebook (you live in Valdosta right?).
A little about myself first; I am asian and an ectomorph. I also have pectus excavatum but it is not bothersome to me though I would like to reduce the concavity through exercise (testing to serif exercise would reduce in the long run). My body type and ideal would be of someone like byung-hun lee (Storm Shadow) of G.I Joe.

What I want to do is be able to train people. Training people to me is a side hobby I would say, something I like to do and wouldn't mind it being a career although I am very hesitant on having it as my main career as I do not know if I can live off of it as well as I would like.

There is a certain way I want to train people, and I would like to give you all of my opinions and how and would simply like an input(s). Right now I am about to head to work so I will explain later tonight if you don't mind.

do you live in Georgia? But yea I do live in Valdosta.
If its not personal here is good, so others can learn from it. If it's personal facebook is fine with me.
Gold: 122.00
May 25 2013 02:53pm
ok skullcrushers question...all the way behind head or to forehead...
Retired Moderator
May 25 2013 02:55pm
Quote (xGeArz @ May 25 2013 04:45pm)

Looks good though.

Oh yea. It's pretty much like what I posted for W too.
On leg days I'll do the main lift, either ME or DE, then some quad work(leg press heavy then some kind of ham work(I'm buying a reverse hyper soon). Then hips, i'll probably start doing the floor hip thrusts again, then I do abs with bands and I super set that with Tri push downs bands. i train tris 4x a week.

After this week I'll post some of my workouts if you'd like.

Quote (Diggins @ May 25 2013 04:44pm)
Bro, why you ignoring me?

I got you breh.

This post was edited by 7_Deadly_Sins on May 25 2013 02:57pm
Retired Moderator
May 25 2013 02:56pm
Quote (SagaBoi @ May 25 2013 04:53pm)
ok skullcrushers question...all the way behind head or to forehead...

Both, changes the ROM and makes it a new exercise.
You can also do dead stop skull crushers on the ground where you stop it on the ground the go up with it.
Be careful with them though because if your elbows are not use to them, they'll hurt bad.
I'd recommend doing 3-5x30 with lighter weight so you can get your tendons and shit use to the motion then go up heavier when your elbows are ready.

Quote (EwokHellKite @ May 25 2013 02:40pm)
Do you lift?

Not even once.

This post was edited by 7_Deadly_Sins on May 25 2013 02:57pm
Gold: 419.00
May 25 2013 03:00pm
What kind of static or dynamic stretches do you do pre and/or post workout?
Retired Moderator
May 25 2013 03:02pm
Quote (ixtankerxi @ May 25 2013 05:00pm)
What kind of static or dynamic stretches do you do pre and/or post workout?

None. If I do them, I do it as a mini workout.

Before I do lower body I stretch my hips by standing, and facing a poll I hold. Then Kick my leg to the side. I do that for both.
Then I turn and look straight and kick my leg out straight and let it come all the way back where my foot almost hits my butt.
Gold: 192.00
May 25 2013 03:07pm
just out of curiosity, are those your raw lifts, or suited? (I thought I remember you mentioning doing suited stuff before)

on training:

have you ever played with wave sets before for strength/max attempts? and what are you thoughts even if you have or haven't done it before (based on the explanation below)?

i'm not sure if that is the correct name for it, but what i am referring to for example could be:
5x 65%
3x 80%
4x 70%
2x 85%
3x 75%
1x 90%
2x 80%
1x 100%

I don't remember the exact reps/percentages that I used a few years ago, but it was very similar to the example I believe. I think that point was to mess with CNS and I actually had my clean PR with it at the time.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123421Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll