d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > John Sirmons -- AMA And Advice Thread > Competitive Powerlifter / Personal Trainer
Prev13456721Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50.00
May 26 2013 07:30pm
more of a personal question: how did it feel going from bodybuilding to powerlifting? diet wise? mentally? size-wise did u gain considerable amount of mass as you gained strength or did you pretty much stay about the same?
Gold: 4,874.00
May 26 2013 08:39pm
Looking to compete in bodybuilding and then powerlifting in hopes of becoming a personal trainer.

Let me know if you have any advice or tips

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 26 2013 10:51pm
Quote (TheOak @ May 26 2013 02:56pm)
I live like 30min from tampa

Alright so I'm going to get my feet wet in some PL meets.

Thoughts on knee sleeves? looking to get the rehbands

Which organizations would a natural trainee want to stick with?  I also wld like to be able to use: belt,sleeves,chalk... im not sure what orgs have certain rules.

Training/prepping template suggestions?
My goal is still bodybuilding but I do want to try and run a couple powerlifting templates.  I ran Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 for months and enjoyed it but definitely dont see it as a means to peaking for a pl meet.

any general advice for a first time competitor?

I'm sure I'll be back with more precise questions once I dig into the information itself.

Knee sleeves are good to keep your knees warm and have virtually no carry over to your max. Get TK brand. Tommy Kav

Any federations will be fine. SPF is my favorite and I lift raw. Check the feds rules, not using wraps or a belt is kind of dumb imo.

There is a powerlifting version of 531 where Jim talks about how to prepare for a meet.

First timer, just have fun, dont worry about what you weigh. When it gets closer to the meet post and I'll give more specific tips.

Quote (RecenT @ May 26 2013 09:14pm)
I'm not entirely too sure of how this concept, skip loading, works. It seems like what you are doing is eating and on a certain week ( assuming an important week where a contest may occur ) you et a shitload of carbs then drop it all after the contest. I tried to see if there's something else like a book he has made or something but so far Ive only been able to find Q&A's of his system.

You do it weekly, not just for the contest.
His Q and As pretty much cover it in depth. Look at intensemucle.com that's his website
Quote (ElCubanito @ May 26 2013 09:30pm)
more of a personal question: how did it feel going from bodybuilding to powerlifting? diet wise? mentally? size-wise did u gain considerable amount of mass as you gained strength or did you pretty much stay about the same?

It felt fucking awesome. I've learned some of lifes biggest lessons in the gym, and doing 1 rep maxes takes a certain mindset and
As long as you eat, you'l gain size. When I graduated high school I was 130, I'm now 220 about 7 years later.

Quote (Alpha @ May 26 2013 10:39pm)
Looking to compete in bodybuilding and then powerlifting in hopes of becoming a personal trainer.

Let me know if you have any advice or tips

Thanks

What do you want to know specifically, it's hard to do both. Pick one to be good at, or be average at both.
Gold: 0.00
May 27 2013 10:52am
Been a while now that my bench press has stayed the same (around 225~) and today i was incredibly frustrated because i am not progessing with my bench

All my other lifts have gone up, but i cant seem to get my bench to increase (my chest is most lagging body part as well).

I am on a leg/push/pull and i alternate between 2 routines for my push day

Incline bench
flat bench
cable crossover
seated db shoulder press
machine isolation bench or flies
tricep push down
db shrug

or

incline db bench
flat bench
repeat of top

don't do dips with weights anymore because it hurts my shoulders.

I don't care how much i can bench as whats important to me is my squat, deadlift and vertical jump, but its been pissing me off for a while now so i am going to try and improve on it

any ideas?
Gold: 53.50
May 27 2013 12:57pm
Is your career a personal fitness trainer? I think thats something I would like to do, but I don't know if it is a stable and providing career to which I can travel/live a good life with my significant other. Of course I still believe in concept but it doesn't mean I won't grow later to change and learn. There are dumbass personal trainers out there, and I could possibly be one of them lol. Most of my learning have been reading and research from myself. Haven't taken any classes regarding personal fitness. My passion in fitness is to help people lose/gain weight--those who lack motivation and dedication so I can change them. I don't want to train people who is seeking to be a body builder and such.
Gold: 4.00
May 27 2013 01:33pm
Quote (7_Deadly_Sins @ May 26 2013 10:07am)
Train the shit out of your tris/lats and rear delts. Try resetting just the bench and see if that helps, and then hammer the muscle grounds I mentioned before this.

What do you think about this?

Monday:
5/3/1 Bench
3x10 Bench
5/3/1 Deads
3x10 Deads

Wednesday:
5/3/1 Press
3x10 Press
3x10 Skullcrushers
3x10 DB Tricep Extensions
4x10 Rear Delt flys
3xF Chinups

Friday:
5/3/1 Squats
3x10 Squats

Gold: 30.00
May 27 2013 02:39pm
i've been injured for about three months and i need some advice.

three months ago i decided to stop lifting because my shoulders felt painful in a way i had never experienced before. after resting a few weeks i decided to visit a doctor, since the pain remained the same.
i was injected some corticosteroids, but i didn't feel any improvement , so i took some tests. according to the results, i suffer from: supraspinatus tendonitis, sobacromial syndrome and bone edema.
apparently, all this stuff is dued to the shape of my acromion, which is long and sharp and leads me to get tendonitis pretty often.

now, as the pain is starting to disappear, i've been told by the doctor to do some rehab exercises, and my current "workout" consists of: band resisted internal and external shoulder rotation, wall pushups, assisted dips (and by assisted i mean i'm lifting like a 20% of my bw) and db shrugs.
i've been doing this for two weeks; i still feel pretty weak.
in addition to this, i'll visit a physical therapist from time to time, as soon as i finish my exams.

and now i have some questions:
- are there any back/chest/arms exercises which barely involve shoulder movement, that can be done with bands/db/bb and light weight you would recommend? it's been so long since i last worked those bodyparts that i'm starting to feel the atrophy in some areas.
- are there any supplements you would recommend in my case?
- i've been squatting light weigth due to the bar resting on the affected area. should i keep doing so? should i squat as if nothing had happened? should i stop doing squats for a few weeks?

thank you very much in advance; i reallly appreciate your help

This post was edited by DoNI on May 27 2013 02:41pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 27 2013 09:50pm
Quote (fitz @ May 27 2013 12:52pm)
Been a while now that my bench press has stayed the same (around 225~) and today i was incredibly frustrated because i am not progessing with my bench

All my other lifts have gone up, but i cant seem to get my bench to increase (my chest is most lagging body part as well).

I am on a leg/push/pull and i alternate between 2 routines for my push day

Incline bench
flat bench
cable crossover DROP THESE, WORTHLESS
seated db shoulder press DO STANDING BB OVERHEAD PRESS OR SIDE LAT RAISES
machine isolation bench or flies DO REAR DELT FLYS
tricep push down DO THESE HEAVY, AND ADD IN 1 MORE COMPOUND EXCERISE FOR YOUR TRIS, JM PRESSES, CLOSE GRIP, DIPS ETC
db shrug WORK LATS MORE

or

incline db bench
flat bench
repeat of top

don't do dips with weights anymore because it hurts my shoulders.

I don't care how much i can bench as whats important to me is my squat, deadlift and vertical jump, but its been pissing me off for a while now so i am going to try and improve on it

any ideas?

Above.
You mainly need to work your tris and rear delts for a good bench.
Come back in 1 month and tell me how you are doing with your bench.

Quote (RecenT @ May 27 2013 02:57pm)
Is your career a personal fitness trainer? I think thats something I would like to do, but I don't know if it is a stable and providing career to which I can travel/live a good life with my significant other. Of course I still believe in concept but it doesn't mean I won't grow later to change and learn. There are dumbass personal trainers out there, and I could possibly be one of them lol. Most of my learning have been reading and research from myself. Haven't taken any classes regarding personal fitness. My passion in fitness is to help people lose/gain weight--those who lack motivation and dedication so I can change them. I don't want to train people who is seeking to be a body builder and such.

Not at all. Something I do on the side for fun and extra income.
It's pretty stable if you can get into a good gym and get your clients results. the main people you will be training are every day joes and jannets, so you wont really have any super awesome clients except for once in a blue moon.
good luck :)

Quote (Aimed_Shot @ May 27 2013 03:33pm)
What do you think about this?

Monday:
5/3/1 Bench
3x10 Bench
5/3/1 Deads
3x10 Deads
WHY NO ACCESSORIES HERE? WHY 3 DAYS A WEEK?

Wednesday:
5/3/1 Press
3x10 Press
3x10 Skullcrushers
3x10 DB Tricep Extensions
4x10 Rear Delt flys
3xF Chinups

Friday:
5/3/1 Squats
3x10 Squats
TRAIN HAMSTRINGS. WHY ARE YOU NOT TRAINING ABS?

Caps

Quote (DoNI @ May 27 2013 04:39pm)
i've been injured for about three months and i need some advice.

three months ago i decided to stop lifting because my shoulders felt painful in a way i had never experienced before. after resting a few weeks i decided to visit  a doctor, since the pain remained the same.
i was injected some corticosteroids, but i didn't feel any improvement , so i took some tests. according to the results, i suffer from: supraspinatus tendonitis, sobacromial syndrome and bone edema.
apparently, all this stuff is dued to the shape of my acromion, which is long and sharp and leads me to get tendonitis pretty often.

now, as the pain is starting to disappear, i've been told by the doctor to do some rehab exercises, and my current "workout" consists of: band resisted internal and external shoulder rotation, wall pushups, assisted dips (and by assisted i mean i'm lifting like a 20% of my bw) and db shrugs.
i've been doing this for two weeks; i still feel pretty weak.
in addition to this, i'll visit a physical therapist from time to time, as soon as i finish my exams.

and now i have some questions:
- are there any back/chest/arms exercises which barely involve shoulder movement, that can be done with bands/db/bb and light weight you would recommend? it's been so long since i last worked those bodyparts that i'm starting to feel the atrophy in some areas.
NEARLY ALL PRESSING MOVEMENTS ARE A COMPOUND MOVEMENT. SO NOT REALLY. MAYBE TRY PUSH UPS AND SEE IF IT HURTS THE AREA.
- are there any supplements you would recommend in my case?
ASPIRIN TO HELP WITH INFLAMMATION. SPECIFICALLY SPEAKING THOUGH NONE OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD. RESEARCH CISSUS AND SEE WHAT YOU FIND, I'VE USED IT BEFORE FOR JOINT PAIN.

- i've been squatting light weigth due to the bar resting on the affected area. should i keep doing so? should i squat as if nothing had happened? should i stop doing squats for a few weeks?
DEPENDING HOW YOU HOLD THE BAR, IT COULD HURT YOUR SHOULDER. IF YOU CAN INVEST IN A BELT SQUAT BELT, SO YOU CAN STILL SQUAT BUT NOT HAVE THE WEIGHT ON YOUR BACK AND DAMAGE YOUR SHOULDER EVEN MORE. IF IT DOESNT HURT YOUR SHOULDER SQUAT. REMEMBER TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND BE SMART, DONT MAKE A 2 MONTH INJURY INTO A 8 MONTH ONE. ADDITIONALLY, TRAIN WHAT YOU CAN WITH YOUR INJURY. MEANING DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO STILL MAKE PROGRESS.
ALSO TRY TO DO ZERKER SQUATS, THE BAR RESTS IN YOUR ELBOW, IT HURTS KIND OF TO DO, BUT YOU GET USE TO IT, THAT WAY THE WEIGHT IS NOT DIRECTLY ON YOUR SHOULDER.

thank you very much in advance; i reallly appreciate your help

HOW DID YOU HURT YOUR SHOULDER?
I'M ABOVE IN CAPS
Gold: 0.00
May 27 2013 10:12pm
alright thanks a lot for the advice, how does this push day look like? and i know you emphasized lats, but thats for my pull days and my lats have gotten a lot stronger since i never used to do them.

incline bench
weighted dips (i have been doing a lot more mobility, maybe it wont hurt anymore)
flat bench
overhead press bb
incline db delt fly
tricep push down 2 hands
tricep push down 1 hand
db shrug

ty
Gold: 1,803.00
May 27 2013 10:25pm
A split that will give me big muscles would be great *sarcasm*

But really I'd like a muscle building / hypertrophy 5 day split.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev13456721Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll