d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Should Hardcore Be Renamed To Kinda Hardcore? > Khc > Hc
12314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 742.00
Apr 5 2013 12:13pm
This seems more realistic, Hardcore would be completely losing your character, whereas on PoE's KHC mode you get to keep him forever anyways.

Kinda Hardcore is consistent with the actual behavior, so this will prevent people from having false expectations.

Let me know what you think, I might make a suggestion topic on GGG forums.
Gold: 6,082.50
Apr 5 2013 12:16pm
No, it would just look unprofessional.
Gold: 3.00
Warn: 30%
Apr 5 2013 12:22pm
Eggson brings up a great point and I think we should continue to push the issue.

If you don't completely lose your character, it cannot be defined as Hardcore. The only term that really fits this type of gamemode is "kinda". Now it's still Hardcore cause it's not Softcore but it's just not Hardcore enough to be called Hardcore, therefore we put Kinda in front of it to boost the expecatations.

Discuss men
Gold: 450.00
Apr 5 2013 12:33pm
What is the difference? Your character and equipment are permanently removed from the hardcore league if you die. Hardcore players will cease using the character if it dies - the only significance is that the items impact the default economy after death occurs. If the player continues to play default instead, they have simply ceased to be a hardcore player - and nothing of value is lost.

edit: It sounds like you're just using this as a facade - as a default player that's upset because his economy is being trashed by the constant stream of high-end equipment trickling down from hardcore.

This post was edited by Fireknight on Apr 5 2013 12:35pm
Gold: 742.00
Apr 5 2013 12:40pm
Quote (Fireknight @ Apr 5 2013 06:33pm)
What is the difference? Your character and equipment are permanently removed from the hardcore league if you die. Hardcore players will cease using the character if it dies - the only significance is that the items impact the default economy after death occurs. If the player continues to play default instead, they have simply ceased to be a hardcore player - and nothing of value is lost.

edit: It sounds like you're just using this as a facade - as a default player that's upset because his economy is being trashed by the constant stream of high-end equipment trickling down from hardcore.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to assume things about me (even went through an edit just to do it), but I'll respectfully ignore it since it's not the case.

My issue is with the name of the leagues, the "Hardcore" term in all other games refers to permanent loss of your character, which is simply not the case in PoE. If all it does is move the character to a different league, why are they not just named League 1 and League 2? To me, and I am sure that for many other real hardcore gamers, the thrill of Kinda Hardcore league is simply not enough to qualify as Hardcore.

I realize of course that this is just my opinion, and the purpose of the topic is to politely discuss it. There is no need to attack anyone or assume shit about other people.

Gold: 740.00
Apr 5 2013 12:45pm
i have read several posts from mr. eggson over at d3 section and i have to say; yet another great point from u.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 5 2013 12:48pm
Hardcore is hardcore. When a HC player's character dies it gets deleted to free up the name anyway. Also the game does not encourage you to sell your stuff for fg in SC once a HC character dies, then reroll HC. The game mode should not be renamed just because a fraction of players uses non-igc.
You could probably argue that for players who actively play SC and HC at the same time, HC is not as harsh - but who does that?

This post was edited by tt_toby on Apr 5 2013 12:55pm
Gold: 10.00
Apr 5 2013 12:50pm
if you're a hardcore player, dying is pretty much permanent.. enough said.
Gold: 450.00
Apr 5 2013 01:00pm
Quote (eggson @ Apr 5 2013 01:40pm)
I'm not sure why you felt the need to assume things about me (even went through an edit just to do it), but I'll respectfully ignore it since it's not the case.

My issue is with the name of the leagues, the "Hardcore" term in all other games refers to permanent loss of your character, which is simply not the case in PoE. If all it does is move the character to a different league, why are they not just named League 1 and League 2? To me, and I am sure that for many other real hardcore gamers, the thrill of Kinda Hardcore league is simply not enough to qualify as Hardcore.

I realize of course that this is just my opinion, and the purpose of the topic is to politely discuss it. There is no need to attack anyone or assume shit about other people.

This isn't "other games". GGG decided that permanently removing someone from the hardcore league was good enough. If you're upset that the character isn't deleted when death occurs, take it upon yourself to do so - there is nothing preventing you from deleting a dead hardcore character. The fact of the matter is that when a hardcore player dies, they will either remain on softcore (not effecting you), or they will remake on hardcore (effectively accomplishing the same thing that would happen if the character had been deleted).

Actually, simply deleting the character isn't good enough. It's not actually hardcore unless the human behind the character dies when the character does. What constitutes "hardcore" is entirely arbitrary.
Gold: 12,713.00
Apr 5 2013 01:05pm
Quote (Fireknight @ Apr 5 2013 12:00pm)

Actually, simply deleting the character isn't good enough. It's not actually hardcore unless the human behind the character dies when the character does. What constitutes "hardcore" is entirely arbitrary.

This is the best argument.

The problem with Eggson's argument is that you're basing this off D2/3's definition of what "Hardcore" is. Sure they were one of the pioneers of dungeoncrawl games, but that doesn't mean that their definition of what "Hardcore" is, is the absolute definition of all games.

Because GGG does not subscribe to Blizzard or D2/3, I don't see why they have to agree with their terminology. Sure it's not as "Hardcore" as D2/3 but POE is NOT Diablo. There's no reason to compare the two on every single object in the game, and I don't see why Blizzard's definition is the absolute, non-redefinable meaning of the word.
Go Back To Path of Exile Topic List
12314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll