d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > 2013 Nfl Draft Tight End Rankings
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
Feb 15 2013 07:11pm
Quote (Randolph @ Feb 11 2013 02:58pm)
I'm going to rank and give a quick analysis of some of the top talents per position in this year's draft.  I am going to make a new thread for each position and will keep old threads listed in each new thread.

Keep in mind, this is purely my opinions.  I am not saying this will be the order, this will be how players turn out or anything along those lines, it's just simply my own personal thoughts.

If you'd like a specific position to be done next, feel free to post, I don't mind jumping around.  If not, I'll go in order (QB, WR, RB, TE, OT, etc...)

Tight Ends:

1) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame – Eifert and Ertz are interchangeable at 1 and 2. I give Eifer the slight nod because he seems a little more reliable in the pass game and it seems like teams want TEs who are more ready to catch than block at the moment. Eifert needs to improve his blocking some more and if he can shave some time off his 40 at the combine, he should solidify the top TE spot.

2) Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford – As I said, Ertz and Eifert are interchangeable at 1 and 2 so don’t be surprised to see Ertz go first. Ertz is a bit more all-around sound than Eifert is. Ertz can catch well and is very effective when it comes to run blocking. He’s big, athletic and fast. As I said in Eifert’s analysis, Eifert is a slightly better receiver than Ertz right now but at the combine, either of these two can easily jump over the other.

3) Jordan Reed, TE, Florida – Reed is a former QB turned TE so he brings an interesting skill set to the table. He’s a bit undersized for your typical TE at 6’3’’, 240 and will probably be better fit moving to the running back position or WR. But, he also has talent and could develop into a solid TE if he can improve his blocking. It’s pretty much a wait and see scenario. Any team who wants him needs to be prepared to wait for him to develop.

4) Gavon Escobar, TE, San Diego State – Escobar has good size, speed and hands. He’s a little rough around the edges and is going to require some time to develop but he can easily turn into the steal of this draft at TE.

5) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State – Sims is big to put it simply. 6’5’’, 285lbs of pure tight end haha. He’s definitely a blocking TE but don’t sleep on his receiving ability. I’m torn between if he needs to shed some weight and boost his speed or keep his weight on and continue to develop his receiving ability at his side without sacrificing any size/strength. I think the latter is the way to go.

6) Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA – Fauria has fallen a lot in some people’s eyes but I’m still fairly high on him. He has incredible speed (projected 4.67 40) for his size (6’7’’, 258) and you just can’t teach that. He’s a solid receiver but not the best blocker so he needs to develop his ability to block. Other than that, he fits the mold for the current trend in big name tight ends.

7) Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose State – Here is what I know about Otten. He was an above average but not outstanding TE at San Jose State. He said he’d play in the Senior Bowl. Before the Bowl, he became incredibly ill (idk with what, nothing life threatening, but it wasn’t your run of the mill cold). He played in the Senior Bowl regardless, and played very well at that. He showed great mental strength to be able to push through that sickness and showed he had the ability to play TE in the NFL as well.

8) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati – Kelce has good size and speed to play in the NFL. He’s pretty solid all around. He currently is a little banged up but should be good to go for the combine and may rise up some team’s boards.

9) Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado – Kasa has an incredible combination of size and speed at 6’5’’, 271lbs and a projected 4.70 40. The former DE has shown some flashes of ability as a receiver but he is going to need to be molded by NFL level coaches to turn into something. But, all the raw talent and size is there so we shall see.

10) Vance McDonald, TE, Rice – McDonald is just a wide receiver who wasn’t good enough to play wide receiver so he’s playing tight end lol. He can’t really block for shit but he’s not fast enough to be a pure receiver. He’s short for a TE (6’2’’) but big for a receiver (262 lbs) so idk what we have here haha. I say he needs to get his weight down and speed up to become a WR, if not, forever a special teamer in my eye.

11) Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee – Rivera is quick, athletic and good in the pass game. He needs to hit the weight room to add some strength and weight so he can develop his blocking ability.

12) Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn – This is my deep sleeper this year. I have no idea how in the fuck to pronounce his last name properly but that’s beside the point haha. Lutzenkirchen has his season ended much too early with a hip injury but even before that, his season wasn’t off to the best of starts. But, that was no fault of Lutzenkirchen’s. He suffered from some horrible QB play. He’s be wide open and completely missed or overlooked. He has a good combination of size (6’5’’, 250) and speed (projected 4.67 40) and has the natural blocking ability you want to see in a TE with receiving ability sprinkled in there too.

Other Positions

QB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66429688&f=204
RB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66443964&f=204

DT/NT: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66457812&f=204
CB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66470785&f=204
Gold: 107,018.00
Feb 15 2013 07:23pm
I approve ... was curious as to who you would pick as #1 - #2 ^^
Gold: 3.00
Feb 15 2013 07:35pm
can you make de's next :D
Gold: 0.00
Feb 15 2013 08:19pm
randy has a top 5 tight end
Gold: 0.27
Feb 15 2013 09:17pm
Quote (HydraulicS @ Feb 15 2013 06:35pm)
can you make de's next :D

Ugggggggh maybe lol. I guess tomorrow or Sunday would be the best day to do them since I'll have the time but those are going to be a long one. I'll probably have 4 lists but I want to post them together (well 2 or 4 threads but at the same time).

3-4 DE
3-4 OLB
4-3 DE
4-3 OLB

Quote (kargus @ Feb 15 2013 07:19pm)
randy has a top 5 tight end

What you have done there, it is there, and I see it.
Gold: 20.00
Feb 15 2013 11:13pm
Dion sims represent
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 15 2013 11:32pm
Matt Furstenburg > all these rands
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll