d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > 2013 Nfl Draft Cornerback Rankings
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
Feb 14 2013 07:14pm
Quote (Randolph @ Feb 11 2013 02:58pm)
I'm going to rank and give a quick analysis of some of the top talents per position in this year's draft.  I am going to make a new thread for each position and will keep old threads listed in each new thread.

Keep in mind, this is purely my opinions.  I am not saying this will be the order, this will be how players turn out or anything along those lines, it's just simply my own personal thoughts.

If you'd like a specific position to be done next, feel free to post, I don't mind jumping around.  If not, I'll go in order (QB, WR, RB, TE, OT, etc...)

Cornerbacks:

1) Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington – That’s fucking right! Trufant is the best corner in this draft. I’ve had a boner for him for quite some time now but all I was able to see from him was highlights and you can never take that as what the guy can do because it is what it is, just highlights. Now seeing him at the Senior Bowl I’m sold, he is the top talent at corner this year. He has size, speed and length, is physically gifted, can cover and recover if he falls behind. He’s ferocious and very physical with receivers. The guy is the real deal.

2) DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama – OK OK, Milliner is probably the most NFL ready and best corner in this draft but I honestly think Trufant will end up as the top talent from this draft or at least challenging Milliner for the spot. Anyway, Milliner has the size and speed to hang with NFL receivers. He can cover man to man and make up for any mistakes with his athleticism.

3) Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State – Banks has had a knee injury nagging him all season long so hopefully he’ll be healed up and ready by the time the combine rolls around. He’s tall, lengthy, athletic and fast. He’s going to be best fit in a zone-based system.

4) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State – I believe Rhodes is the biggest corner in this draft (weight wise, not size). He’s 6’2’’ and 215 last recorded so we’ll see what he comes in at at the combine. His size is even more remarkable knowing that he runs a projected 4.44 40. Now, we’ll see what he runs and weights at the combine but that combination of size and speed is incredibly valuable to me and I can’t wait to see what he does in the NFL.

5) Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers – Ryan has all the talents to be a man coverage corner in the NFL, the only knock on him is he never really faced any NFL talent. Only time will really tell how he will do, from what I’ve seen, he’s a safe pick.

6) Will Davis, CB, Utah State – Davis is incredibly athletic and had himself a good senior season. He’s not overly fast but he’s not slow by any means. He had an average senior bowl so he needs to make up for that at the combine.

7) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State – Taylor is a relentless and gritty defender who doesn’t give up. He has size and speed to play at the NFL level and has shown that he has some nice man-coverage skills.

8) Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State – Poyer was a little banged up this season but it was nothing all that major, I believe he only missed 1 game. He has good speed to go with his size but he’s going to need to have himself a good combine to ensure that he’s taken in the second round. There’s a chance he can fall possibly all the way to the 4th with a poor outing at the combine.

9) Robert Alford, CB, Southeast Louisiana – This is my sleeper at corner this year. Alford is a bit undersized (5’9’’, 186) but he makes up for his size with a relentless motor and seemingly true passion for the game. Think Tim Tebow but can actually play the position he plays lol. Alford can play man or zone coverage and can be a key contributor on special teams. It’ll be tough for him to be an every down corner with his size but I’m not writing him off as a nickel/special teamer only yet. Paired up with a true number 1 corner, I think Alford could play every down across from that corner, whoever it may be (please sum Cardinals in round 3 or 4).

10) Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State – McFadden is a little undersized at 5’9’’ but he’s a former wide receiver turned corner so you know he has some ball skills. He can cover fairly well and will make for a nice slot corner.

11) David Amerson, CB/S, N.C. State – Ugggh, what to say about Amerson? Well, he’s the tallest corner in the draft but still maintains some top speed. He has talent but he lacks discipline. He tries too hard to make the big play, gambles and gets burnt. He’s also fairly easily fooled by double moves. He can be a major steal with some proper grooming but he can also flop horribly.

12) Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut – Wreh-Wilson is big and physical and has some natural talent but he will be best suited in a zone blocking system.

13) Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois – Hawthorne plays man coverage very well. He’s physical and fast and brings some kick return ability to the table as well.

14) Tyrann Mathieu, CB/S, LSU – The fuck up of the year imo lol. Mathieu was on pace to join Patrick Peterson and Morris Claiborne as first round LSU corners taken 3 years in a row. Even with Mathieu’s lack in height (5’9’’) he was still incredibly talented and a first round talent. Then he went and fucked it all up with off the field issues and LSU kicked him off the team. He’s able to do pretty much anything you can ask a corner to do but his character issues are a concern. Look for New England or Baltimore to take a chance on him and groom him into a great player.

15) Tharold Simon, CB, LSU – Simon is a big, physical corner who isn’t afraid to throw a receiver around. He has some ball skills but he’ll be best set in a zone system.

16) Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia – Commings is 5’11’’ and 223lbs. He’s short and stout but he is a freaking walking muscle lol. The guy is built. He’s physical at the line and will smack a receiver around without hesitation. His coverage skills are lacking but he has deceptive speed for his weight which allows him to make up for anything he’s lacking skill wise. He needs some time to be groomed but he can turn into something with proper guidance.

17) B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary – Webb has some man coverage ability that shows he has some nice potential given time to develop. He needs to bulk up some but his greatest asset his is leadership. He’s shown the ability to be a true team leader and that is always a characteristic you can’t overlook. You can’t teach that and every team always wants high character guys in their locker room. Sprinkle in some talent and you have a great player.

18) Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut – I don’t know all that much about Gratz other than he has some cover ability and can play the run well.

19) Demontre Hurst, CB, Oklahoma – Hurst is just decent. He’s reliable but he’s not going to be a star in the league. Solid size and speed but with a good combine, could help his stock, maybe sneak into the third round.

20) Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech – Sweeting has some physical ability and speed. He has some decent ball skills but hasn’t done anything that I’ve seen to really wow me.

21) Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa – Hyde is a sleeper prospect of mine. He has a very nice combination of size and speed and his coverage ability is very sound all around. He may want to make the move to safety though in the NFL.

22) Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi – Slay was overlooked due to Johnthan Banks’ success. He has some decent man-coverage ability to go with a big frame and solid speed. He could be one of the bigger steals of this draft at the corner position.

Other Positions

QB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66429688&f=204
RB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66443964&f=204

DT/NT: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=66457812&f=204
Gold: 107,018.00
Feb 14 2013 07:29pm
TE next! o.o
Feb 14 2013 07:35pm
Quote (GoAGoA @ Feb 14 2013 06:29pm)
TE next! o.o

Alright, tomorrow.
Gold: 5,651.69
Feb 14 2013 07:38pm
Banks knee is fine now btw
Good rankings but I hope mathieu goes to a team I like one of my favorite players
Gold: 94.01
Feb 14 2013 07:48pm
Oh how a years time has destroyed Amerson's stock.
Feb 14 2013 08:18pm
Quote (Guards @ Feb 14 2013 06:38pm)
Banks knee is fine now btw
Good rankings but I hope mathieu goes to a team I like one of my favorite players

Yeah I knew it wasn't anything to be concerned with, just knew he sat out the Senior Bowl so wanted to make sure he'd be all good for the combine.

Quote (TkM @ Feb 14 2013 06:48pm)
Oh how a years time has destroyed Amerson's stock.

Unfortunately. But, the good news is I believe he can bounce back. I think he'll do well at the combine and whether he play corner or safety, do well in the NFL.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 15 2013 08:20am
Yessss!
Gold: 0.00
Feb 15 2013 08:55am
Milliner >
Gold: 20,355.12
Feb 15 2013 10:01am
Desmond Trufant is pretty amazing.
Gold: 1,255.00
Feb 15 2013 10:23am
Trufant going to Seattle to learn from his big bro B)
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll