d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > If Life Were A Pop Quiz
Prev110111213Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 152.00
May 16 2012 12:52pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ May 16 2012 02:45pm)
You're right because people are assholes

Yup.

Plus there are some people who think it is right to end all life because they believe it is mostly negative.

This post was edited by Voyaging on May 16 2012 12:52pm
Gold: 0.00
May 16 2012 12:54pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ May 16 2012 12:46pm)
The idea that 120M people in America are as fanatical as the people in Jesus Camp is fucking laughably stupid.

I'd laugh if I wasn't scare of their agenda.

Quote (AEtheric @ May 16 2012 12:47pm)
No, no, no. You see, the button doesn't kill people, it's the person with the button who kills people. For fuck's sake, everything isn't inherently dangerous. I could bash your head in with a fucking rock and end up saying "rocks don't kill people, people kill people.' Sure, that might be true, but to quote Ainede, it sure as hell makes it easier.

Are you arguing, therefore, that science is dangerous? If so, how?

All this "weapons make it easier to kill people" talk has nothing to do with how science is dangerous. Are you going to argue that mathematics is dangerous because engineering depends on mathematics and guns depend on engineering?
Gold: 722.53
Warn: 10%
May 16 2012 12:57pm
Quote (Derkaderk @ May 16 2012 12:54pm)
I'd laugh if I wasn't scare of their agenda.

Are you arguing, therefore, that science is dangerous? If so, how?

All this "weapons make it easier to kill people" talk has nothing to do with how science is dangerous. Are you going to argue that mathematics is dangerous because engineering depends on mathematics and guns depend on engineering?

Sure, science created guns and nukes, but that's one step away from the true danger, the nuke or gun itself. I'm not arguing that science is dangerous, I'm arguing that the nuke or gun itself is dangerous. Science has saved far far more lives than it has exterminated, although in the future that could change. For now, i believe science does more good than not, and isn't as much dangerous as a nuke or gun itself. Even if you say that guns or nukes themselves don't kill people, they're part of the equation. Without the nuke or gun you woudln't be able to kill people except with your fists or a rock, and therefore you are far less likely to get into a tangle with someone.
May 16 2012 12:59pm
Quote (AEtheric @ May 16 2012 12:57pm)
Sure, science created guns and nukes, but that's one step away from the true danger, the nuke or gun itself. I'm not arguing that science is dangerous, I'm arguing that the nuke or gun itself is dangerous. Science has saved far far more lives than it has exterminated, although in the future that could change. For now, i believe science does more good than not, and isn't as much dangerous as a nuke or gun itself. Even if you say that guns or nukes themselves don't kill people, they're part of the equation. Without the nuke or gun you woudln't be able to kill people except with your fists or a rock, and therefore you are far less likely to get into a tangle with someone.

True, I agree. Without a nuke, a single person couldn't threaten a country at all
Gold: 7,252.72
May 16 2012 01:01pm
Quote (AEtheric @ May 16 2012 02:57pm)

...yup , them Romans were most excellent rock throwers :wacko:
May 16 2012 01:02pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ May 16 2012 01:01pm)
...yup , them Romans were most excellent rock throwers  :wacko:

I meant without any means of violence. But sure, nit-pick if you want. :(
May 16 2012 01:03pm
A few times in this thread I made a point I want to develop. I would appreciate it greatly if you all could help me.

(I want to make something clear, I'm a secularist and a skeptic so the things I'm about to say do not reflect my beliefs.)

I wonder if an appeal to the fanatics spiritual side would loosen religions hold on their mind. Like I said a few times before in this thread, I doubt an unimaginably intelligent being would construct such a cut and dry and simplistic test for humanity. There is only one answer, it's in this book. Maybe if we could present the argument that God is a super-being with an elevated consciousness, and the key to his kingdom could never be ignorance, but instead enlightenment. Maybe with an incredibly well timed assertion that the bible wasn't created by god, it was created by... I don't know.. the super devil? Whatever..

The point of the book would be to force man to ignore the clues god left for us, to never let us reach the potential he created. The book is here to prepare us for an afterlife of obedience and worship. A loving god wouldn't demand ignorance, and worship from his children. I also doubt God would need to threaten us to get its way.

Sorry.. WAY out there haha.
May 16 2012 01:04pm
Quote (Voyaging @ May 16 2012 06:52pm)
Yup.

Plus there are some people who think it is right to end all life because they believe it is mostly negative.

Bond villains?
May 16 2012 01:06pm
Quote (TrouNce @ May 16 2012 01:04pm)
Bond villains?

Or TricisHUGEs.
May 16 2012 01:07pm
Honestly I'd push a button to implode the earth just to see what would happen
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev110111213Next