d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Official Vancouver Canucks Fan Thread > We're All Canucks
Prev1480481482483484873Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,732.50
Jul 1 2018 08:12pm
while i agree what you're trying to say, canucks are in a unique situation. We don't have the leverage to sign depth guys for 1-2 yrs like other teams cuz they would pick those contending teams than the canucks. Also i dont really see any prospects being ready to take on NHL spots other than dahlen atm, cassells is no longer with the canucks and probably not making the NHL. Lind looks promising but he's no where ready anytime soon, 3 yrs is probably his earliest. Ironically the deals benning recently signed are much more useful and helpful to the canucks than his previous signing of erikksson and gagner who were brought in for specific roles, but they're not doing much for those role and just blocking roster spots for almost ready prospects. I think if prospects are ready, benning is planning on trying to use goldie/granny as trade baits. Benning didn't sign roussell or beagle to use as a tradebait and flip at deadline, he signed intending to fully use them like they are doing with Sutter. Even if beagle signed a short term, i dont think he would've fetched much anyway.

It's no surprise that Sutter contract is terrible, but it never negatively effected the canucks as a team. We don't have the luxury of 1oa or elite superstars to retain at 8-10mil cap space. Sutter is definitely earning his money, as he is relied on every night to shutdown, pk and win f/o's. He's being paid to be a slave, allow horvat to play in O zone. It would've negatively effected the canucks if we had luxury of being contenders throughout the past years.. but that's not our case lol. at least not until Boeser, EP, Hughes, Demko all achieve their expectations and become our core stars in the future, but by then Sutter's contract will be well off the books and roussel/beagle's will be close to being off if it hasnt ended.
Gold: 8,000.00
Jul 3 2018 07:39pm
Looks like Hughes is going back to NCAA if he's not guaranteed a season spot
Jul 3 2018 08:46pm
Ya he wants to dominate with his bro
Gold: 12,140.00
Jul 3 2018 08:56pm
Quote (KrWWW @ Jul 3 2018 06:39pm)
Looks like Hughes is going back to NCAA if he's not guaranteed a season spot

Doesn't really make sense. Why not just sign, see if you can win a spot (they'll heavily favor you @ camp) and if not, learn the pro game in the AHL? With how awful our D is and how often they get injured, he'll likely be a regular by the new year.

This post was edited by LuLer on Jul 3 2018 08:58pm
Jul 5 2018 07:16pm

Apparently Travis Green wanted Roussel/Beagle type players, so benning paid premium for them even though he knew he would get roasted by everyone and media.
paid premium cos shit team, not a contender etc.
benning such good guy men

though i woulda preferred matt martin lmao, he's a hitting machine and heavy like gudbranson.
i do feel a lot better knowing Roussel and Schaller is out there now whenever teams take a run at boeser.
It was pretty frustrating to watch when no one stepped up to help the rookie whenever he was targetted last season, finally gudbranson gettin some help. Funny enough, gudbranson fought both of em before haha
Gold: 2,647.74
Jul 8 2018 09:25pm
Quote (Secksii @ Jul 2 2018 03:12am)
while i agree what you're trying to say, canucks are in a unique situation. We don't have the leverage to sign depth guys for 1-2 yrs like other teams cuz they would pick those contending teams than the canucks. Also i dont really see any prospects being ready to take on NHL spots other than dahlen atm, cassells is no longer with the canucks and probably not making the NHL. Lind looks promising but he's no where ready anytime soon, 3 yrs is probably his earliest. Ironically the deals benning recently signed are much more useful and helpful to the canucks than his previous signing of erikksson and gagner who were brought in for specific roles, but they're not doing much for those role and just blocking roster spots for almost ready prospects. I think if prospects are ready, benning is planning on trying to use goldie/granny as trade baits. Benning didn't sign roussell or beagle to use as a tradebait and flip at deadline, he signed intending to fully use them like they are doing with Sutter. Even if beagle signed a short term, i dont think he would've fetched much anyway.

It's no surprise that Sutter contract is terrible, but it never negatively effected the canucks as a team. We don't have the luxury of 1oa or elite superstars to retain at 8-10mil cap space. Sutter is definitely earning his money, as he is relied on every night to shutdown, pk and win f/o's. He's being paid to be a slave, allow horvat to play in O zone. It would've negatively effected the canucks if we had luxury of being contenders throughout the past years.. but that's not our case lol. at least not until Boeser, EP, Hughes, Demko all achieve their expectations and become our core stars in the future, but by then Sutter's contract will be well off the books and roussel/beagle's will be close to being off if it hasnt ended.

I agree that the Canucks are in a weird stage, but if that's the case then why give a premium AND extra years AND NTC's? While Vancouver is not an attractive destination for FA's at the moment, neither should management be desperate for tweeners who will not put the team either above or below water. These types of players are not sure whether they can sustain an NHL-level performance in the long run, so they often trade price for a safety net and/or the chance to compete in a contender. And fundamentally, that's why these signings reek - Benning still wants to field a competitive team, even though the roster is miles away from being anything more than a sweep in the playoffs.

So he gave cushy contracts to Roussel and Beagle to... exist? It makes even less sense than overpaying Dorsett and Sbisa, when the playoffs still weren't a pipedream. They will be very difficult to move for anything at a time the team needs picks and prospects, and they will also be a problem in case existing prospects surprise and demand paydays in 2-3 years. Not to mention it keeps us from being a cap dump destination that could be levaraged to take bad contracts from other teams... so instead of using our unneeded cap room to acquire assets, Benning went ahead and incurred bad contracts for no benefit.

Jul 8 2018 11:13pm
only beagle is overpaid imo, but 8-9 other teams were also trying to sign him for 4yrs. My guess is around 2-2.5m. Roussel's contract isnt that bad, we also desperately needed a player like him. Werent u frustrated when other teams took free runs at boeser constantly, and no one did anything to help the rookie out? Like as soon as dorsett was out, they non-stop targetted boeser/horvat/baer/gold, as there was no pushback & other teams learned from this and continued. Also they have limited NTC, 15 teams for 1st/2nd year for beagle (no worries, benning didnt sign them to trade them right away), then 8 for roussell (no worries, green plans to use em and get most out of them like he does with sutter) then 5 for 3rd/4th for beagle and 4th for roussel. (no worries, if beagle or rousell becomes completely useless in 3 years, trading them away to 26 other teams, potentially 27 for scraps won't be a problem. Hell they can even retain 50% of their salaries too if they need to, or even waive them and take the hit of 3m for a year or 2. Idk why you have a huge issue with this lol. The most important thing you need to realize is that we do not have superstars like sedins in their prime anymore, and have no worries about signing pairs of 8+mil contracts. Right now Boeser will be the one needing to get paid, and we have tons of cap space for him & more years to come. Assuming EP turns into a superstar and will get his 8m+ contract, his entry lvl contract will be over when sutter and baertchi's contract is over, and Roussel/Beagle/Eriksson's will be in their last year of contract. Pretty much all the prospects developing atm will most likely be getting some sort of bridge deals or decent contracts like horvat did (IF they surprise and develop faster than normal) and when we find out which of these prospects turn elite, and start to demand hefty contract, all those overpaid contracts ur worried about will be long off the books. Also, did Tavares choose canuck as one of his options out of the last few teams? nah. So there you go, players of his calibre have no interest in our current team, we have to develop them at this point which we are currently doing, we also didnt have cap issues to take him either despite all overpaid contracts ur so worried about crippling this team.

I would also rather have these guys play majority of the defensive roles, and open up all the offensive roles for EP, Boeser, Horvat, Baertchi etc. That's the benefit the canucks will get from these players. It literally gives Green the option to confidently deploy his kids on offensive roles and have them focus on scoring and have beagle/sutter taking important draws and kill penalties. While they're doing the dirty work, kids are resting on the bench to go brock hard for scoring chances.

Also, Dowd was horrible last season, and i dont blame him because the canucks had nobody else to rely upon when sutter was resting. I would much rather have Beagle than him or Gaunce/Motte to kill penalties and take crucial/game changing draws. Dorsett and Sbisa were overpaid, but it never negatively effected the team during their time here, it didnt cost us to lose a superstar or have tampa's problem where they could gain a superstar but couldn't due to cap issues. When Dorsett was healthy, we had one of the best shutdown line in the league, it literally fucked mcjesus line up & more, and canucks actually stole few games early in the season because of his shutdown line. After he got injured and couldn't replicate the shutdown line with Archibald it all went downhill from there as our defense is like AHL tier. So idk why you're so upset about these overpaid contracts... like it literally didn't effect our team in a negative way. We made full use of them, sbisa got picked up by vegas which protected gaunce. And sbisa was doing well before he got hurt and gifted caps their cup :rofl: for his occasional pizza delivery specials.

I just find it ironic that people are keep saying take shitty contract from other teams for their picks or players not worth their contract, when they're literally the definition of being useless to our current team... and will cost us in the future when ready to compete. Like we are QQing about Erikkson's contract, yet people want MORE like his?? he's actually taking spots away for the prospects from the top 6 because he's still too good to be benched and got contracts that u'd have to PAY to get rid of... Like really? come on. Trust me, we do not want Bobby Ryan, he's good but not his contract good. If we're QQing about erikkson, why won't we QQ about Ryan's?? oh because we get some picks for taking his shit contract to gamble on more potential prospects that will be blocked by bunch of erikkson's and ryan's contract??? uhh i just dont understand the logic here. how shitty would it be if EP couldnt play because there was no spot for him due to these shitty contracts for years to come.. So do we really benefit from getting few extra picks that are gambles anyway and are blocked in our starting roster anyway? I mean i'd much rather have Roussell AND beagle (6m together) over 1 Ryan (7.25m) because Roussell/Beagle are currently much more useful to this team in terms of being tougher to play against, blocking shots, PK, faceoffs, backing up teammates, taking defensive pressure off the kids/top 6 allow the top 6 to develop vs. more players that's not worth their contract that is taking up top 6 spot and forcing propects to play bottom 6 or w/e and hoping players like Gaudette/Motte/Gaunce/Archie to become Beagle/Roussel/Schaller when they're clearly not better than them or have their playstyle. I would also rather have Gaudette develop in AHL in top 6 than be forced to develop in NHL in unfavorable situations because we have no other options other than sutter & horvat.

This post was edited by Secksii on Jul 8 2018 11:26pm
Jul 9 2018 04:05pm
woah the great wall of text

but you make good points, having defensive anchors and more grit will allow our offensive prospects to see more and softer ice time. in isolation the signings don't seem too bad. but the problem is that Benning has been approaching UFAs pretty much the same way throughout his term - always overpaying and giving safety for middling players - Dorsett, Sutter, Guds, Sbisa, etc. That might make more sense now but then he was also doing it when we needed to compete and were paying out of our assess just to fill our bottom players. guess he'll really be judged by how our youth comes along, but I really hope he's out of the city once the roster starts getting competitive again.
Jul 11 2018 05:08pm
glad boeser looks okay and still has his shot despite his wrist injury and that scary ass spine injury last season
https://twitter.com/DaBeautyLeague/status/1017180472441495553?s=20
https://twitter.com/ryanbiech/status/1017182698551402497
https://streamable.com/ijem7
https://twitter.com/NucksWatch/status/1017187971663970304
hattrick and 1 ass in dis minny beer league
his team https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh1-10sU8AAjEoD.jpg

meanwhile hughes and his bros are training with mcdavid in toronto

This post was edited by Secksii on Jul 11 2018 05:32pm
Jul 11 2018 09:07pm
praying that boeser doesn't get hodgson'd with his recovery
Go Back To Hockey Topic List