d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev14764774784794802039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Aug 3 2010 07:20pm
Quote (Tear @ Aug 3 2010 06:39pm)
raynor,
just wondering if you had any updated pics.

been a while since we saw one :P
curious to how your progress is going

hey there.

last one I posted was about 40 pages back when someone called me out saying I wasn't real....so I took a pic of me in the mirror with a "skc raynor @ jsp" note in my mouth (lol)

anyway...I haven't really had time to take any new pics...I haven't really been making much physical progress either...medical school and work pretty much run my life. My normal gym time has decreased to only 2 hrs a day 5 days a week now...it's unfortunate...but gets the job done as far as trivial gains and mostly maintenance is concerned.

also I had a minor pectoral tear in my left pec a few weeks ago as well as a minor tear in my right rotator cuff both of which have decreased my workload
Aug 3 2010 07:30pm
Quote (kbk @ Aug 3 2010 08:43pm)
Hi Raynor,

My main background with training is cardio.

Currently I am doing Insanity and playing a lot of soccer (usually 6-7 hours a week)
I am aiming to cut body fat, I weigh 161 and I'm 5'9, honestly I am happy at this weight but I'd like to have that lean "cut" look, or an athletic build might make more sense.

I probably eat way too little for my activity level, roughly 1500 calories a day which are clean (this being a good day eating wise) and then another 3-400 calories from crappy foods usually.

With a calculation (I can dig up the formula if people want it) I should be eating roughly 2900 calories a day maintenance.
If I am cutting body fat, should it just be -500 calories? 2400 clean calories a day?

I am following the insanity diet which is very high protein and carbs, I'm not following it religiously and I've seen gains (I'm on week 4, I've missed a couple days as well sadly.)

As far as weight training has gone, I've been focusing mainly on my cardio.
I have weights in my basement, a bench/squat rack but I don't have a lot of weight.
I was thinking of doing a 3 day split, since I don't have a lot of weight should I focus on volume, doing a low rep scheme with low weight would be pointless right?
If my goals are to get lean what split would you recommend ?

hey there.

first of all, yes 1,500-2,000 cal is probably too little for a highly active individual.

For cutting, take your BMR + daily activity caloric expenditures (working out, running, daily chores, walking etc) and that will give you your total daily caloric needs....for you possibly as much as 3,000 calories.

From there, take 500 calories off...and this should net you approximately 1 lb of fat + 1 lb of water weight lost per week.

However, you must eat frequently...every 2-3 hours (no more than 3 hours) in order to sustain basal metabolism. Secondly, drink lots of water...proper hydration makes a huge difference as well.

Next, as far as weight training goes, yes - go for high volume and don't neglect bodyweight exercises like dips, pullups, pushups, situps, squats, etc. These are all very important for volume training.

for leaning out, try this 3 day split:

Day 1 - Chest/Back/Bis/Forearms
Day 2 - Quads/Hams/Calves
Day 3 - Shoulders/Traps/Tris/Abs
Gold: 73.71
Aug 3 2010 07:34pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Aug 3 2010 08:30pm)
hey there.

first of all, yes 1,500-2,000 cal is probably too little for a highly active individual.

For cutting, take your BMR + daily activity caloric expenditures (working out, running, daily chores, walking etc) and that will give you your total daily caloric needs....for you possibly as much as 3,000 calories.

From there, take 500 calories off...and this should net you approximately 1 lb of fat + 1 lb of water weight lost per week.

However, you must eat frequently...every 2-3 hours (no more than 3 hours) in order to sustain basal metabolism. Secondly, drink lots of water...proper hydration makes a huge difference as well.

Next, as far as weight training goes, yes - go for high volume and don't neglect bodyweight exercises like dips, pullups, pushups, situps, squats, etc. These are all very important for volume training.

for leaning out, try this 3 day split:

Day 1 - Chest/Back/Bis/Forearms
Day 2 - Quads/Hams/Calves
Day 3 - Shoulders/Traps/Tris/Abs

Thanks for the quick response man, I appreciate it.

Beachbody insanity involves alot of these bodyweight movements.
Lots of plyometrics, really based on squats, lots of variations, there are also some push ups.
I have one of those iron gyms that hook onto the door frame but I am pretty weak at pull ups/chin ups so I'm going to work on it asap.

For the split:
How many sets would you reccomend and exercises per muscle group, for rep range I was thinking the 12-15 area?
Gold: 0.00
Aug 3 2010 08:04pm
hey, again how much muscle can you put in a year approxmitaely ( i am 160 pounds )
I plan to stick on compound exercises for 6 months and add isolations the next 6 months
You suggest me to go heavy heavy, because I dont really see progress?
Thanks and I read you should eat 20% of your body weight protein per 2-3 hours, this is true? If not teh rest gets convereted to fat?
ty, and also no carbs on off days, but carbs okay on on working days ? ty

O and 1 moer tihng: To gain forearm mass, peopel told me to do Deadlifts alot, and the way I should grab the bar is palms down for both hands right? Not one hand under and one hand over

This post was edited by Riches on Aug 3 2010 08:07pm
Aug 3 2010 08:38pm
Quote (cseitz71690 @ Aug 3 2010 09:18pm)
What do you recommend as HIIT?
I'm a meathead so I don't run at all. Lol :P

any cardio is good for HIIT...personally I alternate between stationary bike, eliptical, and treadmill.

now if you want some ideas on how to do HIIT properly...use this as reference.

keep your heart rate no lower than 135, and no higher than 165.

Here is a sample using running on foot (no treadmill) as an example:

1. Jog until you reach a heart rate of 120-125.

2. Immediately after that, begin your sprint for approximately 45 seconds or until heart rate hits 160-165.

3. After reaching target heart rate, begin to jog again to slowly bring the heart rate down

it is optional to throw in walking for short periods of time to recover after sprints or heavy jogging...consider this in your HIIT.

Essentially HIIT keeps your target heart rate, while also stressing your body to increased levels, and confuses the muscles at the same time.

Aug 3 2010 08:39pm
Quote (kbk @ Aug 3 2010 09:34pm)
Thanks for the quick response man, I appreciate it.

Beachbody insanity involves alot of these bodyweight movements.
Lots of plyometrics, really based on squats, lots of variations, there are also some push ups.
I have one of those iron gyms that hook onto the door frame but I am pretty weak at pull ups/chin ups so I'm going to work on it asap.

For the split:
How many sets would you reccomend and exercises per muscle group, for rep range I was thinking the 12-15 area?

at least 10 sets per muscle group...15 is better.

as far as exercises go...3 is sufficient. If you want to do 4 or 5, go ahead...more is sometimes better....but don't go too crazy...overtraining is very easy with splits...just keep your sets to no more than 20 per muscle group and you should be fine.

Aug 3 2010 08:44pm
Quote (Riches @ Aug 3 2010 10:04pm)
hey, again how much muscle can you put in a year approxmitaely ( i am 160 pounds )
I plan to stick on compound exercises for 6 months and add isolations the next 6 months
You suggest me to go heavy heavy, because I dont really see progress?
Thanks and I read you should eat 20% of your body weight protein per 2-3 hours, this is true? If not teh rest gets convereted to fat?
ty, and also no carbs on off days, but carbs okay on on working days ? ty

O and 1 moer tihng: To gain forearm mass, peopel told me to do Deadlifts alot, and the way I should grab the bar is palms down for both hands right? Not one hand under and one hand over

on average, depending on bodytype, diet, training, genetics, etc. a person can build approximately 5-15 lbs of LEAN MUSCLE MASS per year. Most people miss the mark and build approximately 2-3 lbs of pure lean mass per year even when working hard because of nutritional, genetic, and training shortfalls. Remember, with every few pounds of lean mass comes a few pounds of water, and sometimes a few pounds of fat.

Always go heavy when trying to build strength and size....by going heavy, try my 5x5 plan.

every 2-3 hours you need to be eating...and when you eat...make sure you're getting a decent amount of protein....at 160 lbs, If you were 10% BF, your lean mass would be 160 - 10% (16 lbs) = 144 lbs. So you'd need to eat approx 150g protein per day to maintain your muscle mass and density. For bulking, double that. So 300g per day, split into 6 meals = 50g per meal. This is also assuming shakes to be meals...so keep that in mind. Try not to take in more than 60g protein per meal, most of the excess will not properly metabolize.

edit:

also carbs....like I said before....if you are CUTTING....then no carbs at all....if you are bulking...then carbs every day all day with every meal....just make sure to use the RIGHT carbs at the RIGHT times (complex throughout the day, simple pre- and post- workout)

and also for forearms...just do some regular forearm training 2x a week...don't worry about overhand deadlifts to build forearms....if you want pure forearm increases...stick to a lot of front/rear/side wrist curls with DB, cables, and BB. You can also try DB twists, farmer walks, and curling with bent wrists (with fingertips facing the forearms)

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Aug 3 2010 08:46pm
Gold: 1,556.68
Aug 3 2010 11:49pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jul 27 2009 11:33am)
First of all, thank you Urbain for addressing this problem first.

Honestly - I thank you for trying to help (if that is what you were trying to do) but please keep these terribly misinformed comments and advice to yourself. I suggest you stick to asking questions and researching this thread - rather than offering advice. I mean no disrespect to you, but that answer was potentially devastating to anyone who would actually take it to heart and apply it.

As for you bnrhodes2,

I would recommend a traditional amateur strength routine

do 5x5 format to start - if you find that 5x5 doesn't work out as well for you, try doing more weight or less weight depending...and see which one feels better for an averaged number of reps.

Day 1 (Monday) - Chest
· Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Incline Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Decline Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Cable Crossovers – 5 sets of 8-12 reps (do not use 5x5 for this!)
OTHER CHEST EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell Bench Press, Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell Decline Bench Press, Dumbbell Flies, Pec Deck, Weighted Pushups, Wide Chest Press, Overhead extensions. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 2 (Tuesday) - Back
· Barbell Deadlift - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Lat Pulldown - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Seated Cable Row - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Dumbbell Rows - 5 set of 8-12 reps
OTHER BACK EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lower Back Extensions, Underhand High Cable Rows, Rack Pulls, Good-Mornings, Dumbbell Deadlifts, Close-Grip Pulldowns, or Barbell Rows. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 3 (Wednesday) – Legs
· Barbell Squats - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Seated Machine Leg Extensions - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Seated Machine Leg Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Standing Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
· Seated Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER LEGS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell leg lunges, Leg Hip Abbduction Machine, Leg Hip Adduction Machine, Laying leg curls, Front Squats, 1 Leg Squats. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 4 (Thursday) - Shoulders
· Military Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
· Dumbbell Shoulder Presses - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Dumbbell Front Raises - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER SHOULDERS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lateral Dumbbell Raises, Barbell Shrugs, Arnold Presses, Straight Bar Cable Pulldowns, Herculean Pulls. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 5  (Friday) - Arms
· EZ-Bar Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
· Dumbbell Concentration Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
· Olympic Bar Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Weighted Dips - 5 sets of 5 reps
· Tricep Cable Pulldowns  - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
· Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks - 5 sets of 8-12 reps

For diet - stick to the golden rule -

eat every 2-3 hours, complex carbs only during the first 4 meals of the day, after that only lean meats + green veggies (or shakes and of course cottage cheese before bed). Drink 1-2 gal of water per day, get lots of rest on the weekends, make sure to sleep at least 8 hours a night.

Add in as much cardio activity as you want, but take heed to make sure you are eating enough to prevent catabolism. Depending on your weight height and BMR, you might need anywhere between 2,000-4,000 calories a day just to sustain metabolism. Then you need to figure you will also need 300 calories extra for every 1 hour of exercise you do to break even. For building mass you are going to need approx 500 cal more taken in than burned, for burning fat you need to lose about 500 cal more than you take in.

bumping a good post or something
Gold: 1,556.68
Aug 4 2010 12:08am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 18 2009 06:32pm)
let me be clear....

CENTRUM IS SHIT! DO NOT USE! WASTE OF MONEY!

Orange triad is a fantastic product...highly recommend for all ages.

as far as the guy and the situation...

tall thin hispanic male...talking like a street punk about how he's gonna beat me down....looking down at me because he's like 6'1 and I'm only 5'7. I lose my temper and tell him off....

he swings at me like girl and misses completely...so I grab him by the neck and throw him into his car...he turns around clutching a knife (the wrong way of course) and tries to stab me over-handed....I grabbed his wrist with my left hand (in the process the knife pierced my left index finger) disarmed him...kicked the knife away....then went to work. First sweeping him to the pavement and smashing his face into the asphalt. I rolled him over and delivered a few striking blows to the mouth, jaw, and cheekbones. He started coughing violently and was spitting out blood so I put him into lateral recumbent recovery position and held my hand to his neck in case he decided to get wise again...I called the police with my free hand and they arrived with me covered in his blood standing over him like a deranged sociopath. They detained me initially but after the story was clear I was released. His background was clear...repeat violent offender on his 3rd strike...because he attacked me first and tried to stab me...he is going to get put away for quite some time. I will gladly testify against him in court...his friends and family can talk shit and try to come after me, but I really don't give a shit...send them all.

edit - the police were also curious why I didn't shoot him when he came at me with the knife. (I am an armed civilian - and in FL the law states that you can use deadly force when threatened for life or limb while standing your ground) - I responded that it was because if I shot him...given my luck...the legal system probably would've crucified me.

maybe another lol

Quote (SKCRaynor @ Nov 18 2009 02:04pm)
well if its for general sports conditioning....you are going to have to do very specific routines for different sports...but one thing most sports have in common is high endurance, the ability to run or perform vigorous intense movements without getting tires, and proper body strength (including fast-twitch response).

try this

regular mon-fri weight training plan (1.5 hours a day)

but in addition to weight training do this:

mon - shuttle runs (suicides) until failure, followed up by hanging from a bar until failure 5 times. Take a 15 min break then begin weight training. After weight training, do 45 mins of cardio at the fastest pace you can handle on a treadmill also with the largest incline. 3.5mph at 10 incline is pretty good if you can keep it up for 45 mins straight.

tues - high jumps until failure, followed up by holding two dumbbells of light weight (maybe 5lbs) at your sides in the top end of a lat-raise. Just hold them there until failure. do this 5x. After weight training, do 45 mins of intense bike cardio.

weds - Jumping jacks for 15 minutes, followed up by 15 minutes of stair climbing. after workout you will do sled pulls (improvise if your gym doesn't have one) and do sled pulls until failure.

thurs - swimming!! swim for an hour (intense swimming with different strokes) work out as usual and then SWIM AGAIN for another hour.

fri - cable training for movement. 30 minutes of solid cable training for a particular movment (for boxing do cable punches, for baseball do cable swings and throws, etc. do regular strength training, then do 45 minutes of actual jogging cardio...no treadmill.

this is a good beginner plan for true sports conditioning. if you are looking to build up for a specific sport...then you need to change some stuff here to accommodate.

This post was edited by Honestly on Aug 4 2010 12:28am
Aug 4 2010 07:02am
Quote (Honestly @ Aug 4 2010 01:49am)
bumping a good post or something

thanks for that....you've been extremely helpful on here Honestly.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev14764774784794802039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll