d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev14784794804814822039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 5 2010 03:46pm
hey, i stumbled across a post that kind of scares me while just reading.

If you are eating carbs, high intensity cardio will, in my opinion, burn just as much fat as low intensity. Although high intensity cardio seems to inhibit fatty-acid mobilization and metabolism during actual exercise, it seems to cause a massive post-exercise fatty-acid mobilization. Basically, you burn carbs during high intensity cardio and burn more fat later on because of it. For about an hour after some high intensity cardio, your body is metabolizing fat to replenish intra-muscular triglycerides and other recuperate.

If you are in ketosis, you are not eating very many carbs. High intensity cardio *requires* glucose/glycogen because of the muscle fiber type used. This means that you should not do high intensity cardio while in ketosis --- your body will catabolize a lot of muscle in the process of obtaining glucose from amino acids and glycerol (cortisol and glucagon). This will not happen as much with low intensity cardio in ketosis, because you will be using mostly type 1 (oxidative) muscle fibers that can more easily burn fatty acids.

sounds like hiit is bad for keto? ive been doing 40min hiit ED

This post was edited by Kiston on Aug 5 2010 03:51pm
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Aug 5 2010 09:09pm
Quote (jk9116 @ Aug 5 2010 12:45am)
Could u give me a few tips/workouts for my upper chest? Ive been doing incline bench but im still not seeing any real results...

Besides incline bench, try incline dumbbell press, dumbbell pullovers, and seated military press. All of these can work the top portion of the chest...just keep in mind that proper form is absolutely necessary. Some people have fairly stubborn upper chests, just keep at it...try to start your workout with upper chest and end the workout with middle/lower chest.
Gold: 1,556.68
Aug 5 2010 09:26pm
what about inner chest?
Aug 5 2010 09:27pm
Quote (Bluff @ Aug 5 2010 08:12am)
Hey, I'm James. I'm 19 years old approx 6'4 and 208 pounds (weighed a few days ago.) I'm not looking to become a pro body builder or even close to that. I like working out as a hobby and passion and I want to get better at it. I recently cut from 232 to my 208 I am now. I was wondering if I should cut more before I bulk or just start working my muscles now.

Secondly, I'm horrible at making my own workout schedules. I usually just free style normally... It works decent but I don't progress like others do.

I was wondering if this would be a good schedule to start off.

Mon: Bi's, Tri's
Tues: Cardio/ABS
Wed: Shoulders/Chest
Thurs: Cardio/ABS
Fri: Back/Legs
Sat: Off/Rest
Sun: Off/Rest

I like having the weekends off, I think that's why my schedule seems to suffer sometimes. I tend to be off weekends and I like to hangout with friends and get my sleep in from working all week.
I do 10-12 reps usually on each machine, when I bench I use the Smith machine because of elbow and my sprained wrist (It's about healed up but my elbow is perminate damage from a break that didn't heal correctly.) I was wondering if you could create a good schedule around what I'm all ready used to doing? If you could list the machines since I don't know all the names of the workouts that would be cool too (I'll google them)

I'm really really trying to lose my stomache to make it to where I can see results from working my abs. I keep debating on cutting more but I'm not sure so I guess I'll ask you.

If you could post on my thread or PM me that would be good, I don't log on here but every so often.

hey there. here are some general guidelines to help you.

First off, if you are between 12-15% BF or higher, it's time to cut. if you are any lower than that, you are safe to bulk. 15% bf is generally the max I allow myself before a cut.

here are some resources to help you

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298006373

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250196

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250791

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=304616466

anabolic cutting diet
Aug 5 2010 09:29pm
Quote (My_Acc_Is_Bazur @ Aug 5 2010 10:09am)
Hey Raynor, I'm Chris from Hungary, and I would like to ask if I'm doing the right thing.

I used to be over 200 lbs, and I decided to lose some weight, I weigh about 160-165 lbs at the moment, I'm ~5'10.5. I'm jogging 1 hour every day, trying to keep my pulse between 120-160. I'm eating 2-3 hours often, usually 5-7 times a day. I'm eating about 2300-2500 calories a day, my treadmill says I'm burning about 800 kcals by jogging every day. I try to eat as much protein as I can, and not too much carbohydrates. I'm tryig to lose some more weight, am I doing the right thing? Do you have any advices? I have a pretty muscular body (well, not as muscular as yours, but you get what I'm saying :)), but because of this little fat, it's not really showing, what can I do to get rid of this few lbs?

Thanks in advance!

ps: I'm 18.

165 lbs at 5'10 is pretty lean as it is. I would recommend you go on a clean bulking cycle and build some more lean muscle mass before going on another cut. This will help your body to burn more calories on its own (from increased lean muscle mass). It will also give you the appearance of looking leaner and better built.

For more info on clean bulking, please see the post right above this one for the links to my previous posts.
Aug 5 2010 09:33pm
Quote (Boxa @ Aug 5 2010 04:47pm)
Hey Raynor,

Hoping you could help me out.  Having a difficult time trying to come up with a way to maintain strength/lbm while trying to train for a half-iron triathlon.

Most accurate body measurements to date are: 6'4 258.8lbs (Couple weeks into cutting and kind of stagnant atm because feeling uninspired to cut).

Have no problem training daily, taking w/e supps you recommend, following a diet to the T.  Diet cannot include canned tuna (just hate how it tastes).

If you could point me in the right direction split/training focus wise along with diet I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Boxa.

Hey there. Well if your goal is to maintain strength while preparing for a triathlon....there is going to be a problem. Inherantly strength is decided by slow twitch muscle fibers capable of the brief anaerobic movement. When you train for anything that is as cardiovascularly intense as a triathlon, you are going to utilize fast twitch muscle fibers for sustained endurance, as well as cardiovascular strength for increased output. The problem here is that if you want to maintain STRENGTH, you are going to sacrifice speed and general endurance (unless you are a genetic freak of nature mesomorph who has the ability to run like a kenyan and lift weights like a nord.

So with all this in mind...tell me exactly what you want. Do you want strength and size RIGHT NOW...or do you want to focus on this triathlon? if so, you will have to sacrifice strength temporarily...but you can focus on the rebound later. I will be glad to help you out with some stuff either way...just let me know.

Aug 5 2010 09:46pm
Quote (Kiston @ Aug 5 2010 05:46pm)
hey, i stumbled across a post that kind of scares me while just reading.

If you are eating carbs, high intensity cardio will, in my opinion, burn just as much fat as low intensity. Although high intensity cardio seems to inhibit fatty-acid mobilization and metabolism during actual exercise, it seems to cause a massive post-exercise fatty-acid mobilization. Basically, you burn carbs during high intensity cardio and burn more fat later on because of it. For about an hour after some high intensity cardio, your body is metabolizing fat to replenish intra-muscular triglycerides and other recuperate.

If you are in ketosis, you are not eating very many carbs. High intensity cardio *requires* glucose/glycogen because of the muscle fiber type used. This means that you should not do high intensity cardio while in ketosis --- your body will catabolize a lot of muscle in the process of obtaining glucose from amino acids and glycerol (cortisol and glucagon). This will not happen as much with low intensity cardio in ketosis, because you will be using mostly type 1 (oxidative) muscle fibers that can more easily burn fatty acids.

sounds like hiit is bad for keto? ive been doing 40min hiit ED

this is not exactly true and I'll tell you why.

While the muscles/liver are full of glycogen and the body is not in ketosis, the body will burn glycogen as fuel first for any aerobic activity. After the glycogen is totally depleted, the body shifts to peptide breakdown and fat breakdown. The body does not go into full ketosis after glycogen is depleted (contrary to popular belief). The reason for this is because the body still recalls that it is in a glycogen environment because of it's daily nutrition of carbs. When you strip the body of carbs for consumption and start feeding it mostly fats and protein, you make the body start the gradual process of switching over to ketosis. This can take UP TO 2 weeks...or as little as 2 days....depends on the person.

Anyway, back to the topic. So assuming you are NOT in ketosis...after glycogen is depleted it is indeed true that your body will not begin to burn fat until after the cardio. But here is the catch. If glycogen depletes during cardio (low or high intensity), and your body is NOT in ketosis...the first thing to be catabolized for energy is MUSCLE. That's right, the body begins to break down muscles for fuel in approximately 90% muscle and 10% fat. This progressively changes over the next 45-60 minutes and eventually fat and muscle are burned at approximately even amounts. The only way to stop this is to pump BCAA's before/during/after exercise in order to confuse the body into not breaking down essential peptides. Fat burning will still occur.

During ketosis however, the body is no longer burning glyocogen first. Glycogen is already depleted and has been for quite a long time. The body immediately uses lipids as energy, however the process is much slower and sustained longer than glycogen burning. Because of this, HIIT cardio is OPTIMAL because it gives the body a chance to recover between "sprints" (or any short burst of speed/intensity along the way). When you stick to a set pace the whole time, although less strain on the muscle fibers is present, it is less efficient at fat burning because of the reduced caloric load.

In essence, less HIIT is required for the same effect as long term low intensity cardio. You can do 20-30 mins of HIIT and stop which will generally keep muscle wasting at a VERY low percentage compared to 45-60 minutes of low intensity sustained cardio. It has been found that keto groups suffered less muscle wasting during HIIT in the 20-30 minute mark than control groups of others who relied on glycogen as fuel normally but were glycogen depleted prior to the cardio. In addition it was found that the keto group started suffering massive muscle loss after highly sustained cardio sessions (60+ minutes if I can remember).

So basically the key is:

for keto losses, keep to HIIT and keep it short...20-30 mins max at a time (i shoot for 30 mins post workout and 15 mins pre-workout)

for non-keto losses, keep to sustained cardio for 45-60 mins unless glyogen is pre-depleted, then stick to HIIT as well.

Aug 5 2010 09:49pm
Quote (Honestly @ Aug 5 2010 11:26pm)
what about inner chest?

DB pullovers can work, also try DB cork-poppers....these are basically where you lay on a bench, take 2 DB's and position them on the middle of your chest with your knuckles facing each other and elbows facing out. proceed to push the weights straight out over your chest using only your elbows. Keep the weights over the inner part of your chest and squeeze with every rep.

Another good idea for middle chest is to do DB pec flies...and twist your wrists toward you at the top of each rep. this helps gets the focus of the pump towards the inner chest rather than middle of each pec.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 5 2010 09:54pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Aug 6 2010 03:46am)
this is not exactly true and I'll tell you why.

While the muscles/liver are full of glycogen and the body is not in ketosis, the body will burn glycogen as fuel first for any aerobic activity. After the glycogen is totally depleted, the body shifts to peptide breakdown and fat breakdown. The body does not go into full ketosis after glycogen is depleted (contrary to popular belief). The reason for this is because the body still recalls that it is in a glycogen environment because of it's daily nutrition of carbs. When you strip the body of carbs for consumption and start feeding it mostly fats and protein, you make the body start the gradual process of switching over to ketosis. This can take UP TO 2 weeks...or as little as 2 days....depends on the person.

Anyway, back to the topic. So assuming you are NOT in ketosis...after glycogen is depleted it is indeed true that your body will not begin to burn fat until after the cardio. But here is the catch. If glycogen depletes during cardio (low or high intensity), and your body is NOT in ketosis...the first thing to be catabolized for energy is MUSCLE. That's right, the body begins to break down muscles for fuel in approximately 90% muscle and 10% fat. This progressively changes over the next 45-60 minutes and eventually fat and muscle are burned at approximately even amounts. The only way to stop this is to pump BCAA's before/during/after exercise in order to confuse the body into not breaking down essential peptides. Fat burning will still occur.

During ketosis however, the body is no longer burning glyocogen first. Glycogen is already depleted and has been for quite a long time. The body immediately uses lipids as energy, however the process is much slower and sustained longer than glycogen burning. Because of this, HIIT cardio is OPTIMAL because it gives the body a chance to recover between "sprints" (or any short burst of speed/intensity along the way). When you stick to a set pace the whole time, although less strain on the muscle fibers is present, it is less efficient at fat burning because of the reduced caloric load.

In essence, less HIIT is required for the same effect as long term low intensity cardio. You can do 20-30 mins of HIIT and stop which will generally keep muscle wasting at a VERY low percentage compared to 45-60 minutes of low intensity sustained cardio. It has been found that keto groups suffered less muscle wasting during HIIT in the 20-30 minute mark than control groups of others who relied on glycogen as fuel normally but were glycogen depleted prior to the cardio. In addition it was found that the keto group started suffering massive muscle loss after highly sustained cardio sessions (60+ minutes if I can remember).

So basically the key is:

for keto losses, keep to HIIT and keep it short...20-30 mins max at a time (i shoot for 30 mins post workout and 15 mins pre-workout)

for non-keto losses, keep to sustained cardio for 45-60 mins unless glyogen is pre-depleted, then stick to HIIT as well.

sweeet. thanks!
Gold: 120.00
Aug 6 2010 07:16am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Aug 5 2010 10:33pm)
Hey there. Well if your goal is to maintain strength while preparing for a triathlon....there is going to be a problem. Inherantly strength is decided by slow twitch muscle fibers capable of the brief anaerobic movement. When you train for anything that is as cardiovascularly intense as a triathlon, you are going to utilize fast twitch muscle fibers for sustained endurance, as well as cardiovascular strength for increased output. The problem here is that if you want to maintain STRENGTH, you are going to sacrifice speed and general endurance (unless you are a genetic freak of nature mesomorph who has the ability to run like a kenyan and lift weights like a nord.

So with all this in mind...tell me exactly what you want. Do you want strength and size RIGHT NOW...or do you want to focus on this triathlon? if so, you will have to sacrifice strength temporarily...but you can focus on the rebound later. I will be glad to help you out with some stuff either way...just let me know.

Yeah, that's the snag I've been running into. Essentially I want to lean out a bit right now anyway towards the 235-240 range so prepping for the triathlon is more important.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev14784794804814822039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll