[FROM AN ANONYMOUS PRIVATE MESSAGE]
I AM POSTING THIS QUESTION AND REPLY TO HELP ALL OF YOU, BUT KEEPING THE PERSON'S IDENTITY PRIVATE =)
I am wanting to turn my diet around and start to excercise to lose weight, cause im kinda getting too far over
So I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to start losing weight and what kinda foods I should eat, I've never done this before so I have no idea for myself.
I'd be glad to help you. I'm happy to see that you're trying to make a positive change for your body. However, let me tell you right now, it will NOT be easy...and after a few days or weeks of training you will feel like you want to quit. I'm warning you in advance, DO NOT QUIT! You must stay true to the diet and exercise and if you do, you will thank me years from now when you look like a greek god! haha
with that said and done, lets get to business. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible as I don't want to make it difficult to read.
Eat frequently (every 2-3 hours) smaller meals/snacks. Make sure to consume plenty of lean protein and HDL (good) fats...with NO SIMPLE Sugars/Carbohydrates (white flour, white rice, sugary foods/drinks) and only a small amount of complex carbohydrates (whole grains and vegetables) consumed during the first 3 meals.
Sample meal plan is as follows, with all meals seperated 2-3 hours each -
Breakfast (eat within the first 15 minutes of waking up!) - 1/2 cup oatmeal (splenda/xylitol and cinnamon can be used to sweeten it, 3 scrambled eggs, ice water (drink ice water to raise your metabolism)
Meal 2 - 1 can of tuna fish with 6 whole grain crackers or 1 slice of whole grain bread and ice water (you can use mustard and low fat mayo on the tuna as well as veggies)
Meal 3 - Salad with grilled chicken (use 100% extra virgin olive oil and vinegar as the dressing, all veggies and chicken, no croutons or cheese)
Meal 4 - 40 gram Protein Shake (drink this right before workout) [make sure to get a good protein shake like Optimum Nutrition 100% natural whey from bodybuilding.com]
Meal 5 - 40 gram Protein shake (drink this right after workout)
Meal 6 - 1 cup 2% milk cottage cheese with mixed nuts and cinnamon (really tasty)
There you go...that's the sample meal plan, you can feel free to change it up to fit your needs but you need to retain some primary directives which I will list below.
1. Only drink ice water, plain coffee/tea (caffeine is good), or diet soda (no sugar).
2. During first 3 meals you can eat complex carbs (brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, vegetables and fruits, whole grain cereals like oatmeal or shredded wheat etc) no more carbs after the 3 meals.
3. Make sure to only eat lean meats! (chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, lean beef, and fish)
4. READ THE LABELS OF FOOD YOU EAT! Make sure you aren't eating foods loaded with sugar or carbohydrates...or processed foods with lots of sodium, WATCH THE SODIUM! No more than 2,000 mg sodium per day TOTAL.
5. NO FAST FOOD (PERIOD)
6. If you eat at a restaurant, make sure to order food that is custom made to your diet (IE: grilled chicken and broccoli, Bison Burger with no bun, Grilled Fish w/ veggies, etc)
7. NO DESSERTS! If you have a huge sweet tooth, try to drink diet soda and check out protein bars made with no sugar (two great kinds of protein bars are the Labrada Lean Body Gold Cookie Twist, and the Zero Impact Pumpkin Supreme...if you wanted to eat these they replace one of your 6 meals).
Some other good foods I didn't list are: 2% Milk and cheese, Beans, Shrimp and Shellfish, Peanut Butter (100% natural no sugar added), Salsa (use on eggs, very tasty), etc.
Ok now to go with your lovely diet, here's some good ideas for exercise
First of all, join a gym...it is WELL WORTH the money. if you can not join a gym, go to my post here: which explains a great workout routine from home - http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=21269614&view=findpost&p=121866700
If you do decide to join a gym...or work out at home...the best policy is the following -
Work out for 1-2 hours a day (minimum of one hour) doing the following muscle groups and exercise ideals -
Monday - Chest/Back : Start with 15 minutes of cardio (treadmill, bike, or power walking) - don't go too fast or too hard, you don't want to lose your breath, just get warmed up. Then hit chest and back for a total of 20 sets (10 sets of each muscle group)
Tuesday - Cardio and Abs : Do 45 minutes of cardio (teadmill, bike, power walking, swimming, etc) and do 100-200 reps of good ab work (crunches, situps, leg raises, etc)
Wednesday - Shoulders and Legs - Start with 15 minutes of cardio warmup then do 20 sets total (10 sets of each muslce group)
Thursday - Cardio and Abs : Do 45 minutes of cardio (teadmill, bike, power walking, swimming, etc) and do 100-200 reps of good ab work (crunches, situps, leg raises, etc)
Friday - ARMS!!! - Start with 15 minutes of cardio warmup then do 20 sets total, 10 biceps and 10 triceps.
Saturday - Cardio and Abs : Do 45 minutes of cardio (teadmill, bike, power walking, swimming, etc) and do 100-200 reps of good ab work (crunches, situps, leg raises, etc)
Sunday - REST!! Take a break!
Also make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
Also, try to get some supplements - they really help -
1. Get Multivitamins (NOW! Adam)
2. Jet Fuel or Atrophex (good fat burners)
3. Protein Powder (Optimum Nutrition 100% natural Whey)
Ok Hope this helps! If you like the guide I made you and the time I took to do it for you, please feel free to donate
PM me if you need anything else! Good Luck and Be Safe!