d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1345672039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jul 28 2008 01:36pm
Quote (PureOwnage2 @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 08:38am)
Hi quick question, sorry no fgz or i would donate biggrin.gif

After this football season i want to cut but my mom(Im only 15) wont allow me to take any substances(I mean like protein or any whey stuff, Nothing at all she thinks if i needed it the docter would give it to me? WTF? lol) Anyway. I need a good meal scheldule. I have tried in the past but i fail because i dont know what to eat and then i just give up. Lol. Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

Hey there, no problem -

If your mom wont buy you supps (which is damn unfortunate) you can still accomplish much without them.

The meal plan for cutting you can find here - http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=21269614&view=findpost&p=121866700 (its part of post #18)

That will GREATLY help in cutting....if you need anything else, let me know!

Gold: 0.00
Jul 28 2008 01:41pm
Some info about myself:

6'1
240 LBS
17 years old

MAXES:

Bench: 235
Squat: 335
Clean: 250
Deadlift: 475
--------------------------------------------

But heres the problem, I play football and weight lift on a daily basis. Last year as a Junior in HS I felt as if I couldn't raise my squat max at all, but all my other lifts I was seeing improvements. But the year before that I was maxing out on squat at 370~ LBS but I couldn't get any improvements on my bench. Any insight here? I don't understand how my DL could consistently improve but my squat lower.

Currently I'm only taking Muscle Milk and Multi-V

EDIT: Also looking to cut up a bit so a nice eating schedule would be nice.

This post was edited by Intensity on Jul 28 2008 01:44pm
Jul 28 2008 01:51pm
Quote (Intensity @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 03:41pm)
Some info about myself:

6'1
240 LBS
17 years old

MAXES:

Bench: 235
Squat: 335
Clean: 250
Deadlift: 475
--------------------------------------------

But heres the problem, I play football and weight lift on a daily basis. Last year as a Junior in HS I felt as if I couldn't raise my squat max at all, but all my other lifts I was seeing improvements. But the year before that I was maxing out on squat at 370~ LBS but I couldn't get any improvements on my bench. Any insight here? I don't understand how my DL could consistently improve but my squat lower.

Currently I'm only taking Muscle Milk and Multi-V

EDIT: Also looking to cut up a bit so a nice eating schedule would be nice.

Hey there..well the best option for increasing strength in a particular exercise is the 5x5 plan. Basically its 5 sets of 5 reps going up at least 5lbs per week (this really WORKS!!) It will add weight to every exercise you do, no questions...unless you hit the wall....if you hit a wall, you need to have a spotter help you crank negatives of 25-50 lbs higher weight, then hit the 5x5 next week.

5x5 fully explained can be found here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

also I would heavily work on your bench - it seems like you're a natural puller (vs a pusher), and while this is good for practical strength purposes, for football, pushing power is vital! Try to hit the bench harder than usual to bring it closer to your fairly impressive deadlift!

Donations are appreciated but not required heart.gif

HOPE THIS HELPS! Good Luck, Stay Safe!

Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 60%
Jul 28 2008 01:53pm
as i said in my pm to you, im have been working out for 3 month or so, and i got problem with my left side, its definetly smaller and weaker than the right one, i though about putting some more pound on the left one, but peps told me it wasent good.. what could i do exactly?
Gold: 124.00
Jul 28 2008 01:56pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 20:26)
on the topic of stretching to reply to several posts -

Yes, stretching is VITAL in growth, maintenance, and protection from injury!! You must stretch before and after working out (sometime during if you feel exceptionally tight)

The best stretching guide can be found here: (complete guide with videos and pictures) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stretches.htm

If you stretch before and after workouts, you will notice less muscle soreness, greatest range of motion (which equals greater strength and agility in most cases), and a much lower chance of injury during workout.

In conjunction with stretching, make sure to take joint-support supplementation if you can (Glucosamine, Condroiton, and MSM)

Hope this helps!

Nothing have shown that stretching reduces the chance of getting injured. Pre lifting stretching even showed a higher incidence of injury in a long term study. Pre lifting stretching will also reduces force production meaning you will actually lift less.
Stretching and muscle soreness doesn't seem affect eachother either.
So the only posetive effect I can see is greater range of motion.
Jul 28 2008 02:05pm
Quote (My_Lesson @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 03:56pm)
Nothing have shown that stretching reduces the chance of getting injured. Pre lifting stretching even showed a higher incidence of injury in a long term study. Pre lifting stretching will also reduces force production meaning you will actually lift less.
Stretching and muscle soreness doesn't seem affect eachother either.
So the only posetive effect I can see is greater range of motion.

Although your comments lack ACTUAL application...the truth is that the studies involving these are bias and can be contradicted with other studies.

The truth of the matter is, range of motion and muscle warmness as well as a full stretch provide for a lessened chance of injury because muscle have been given a larger range for which to operate. If you perform a complex action without a good stretch before, you can risk hyerextension and/or hyperflexion which is painful and can cause massive injury.

I beg to differ from 9 years of experience in this field in actual experience, as well as 4 years as a personal trainer. I've known hundreds of people from both schools of thought and the truth is, stretching before and after yields greater gains, less injury, and less soreness. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jay Cutler, Franco Columbu, Mariusz Pudjenowski, and many other power lifters, bodybuilders, and strongmen would agree.

Hope this gives some help.
Gold: 124.00
Jul 28 2008 02:23pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 21:05)
Although your comments lack ACTUAL application...the truth is that the studies involving these are bias and can be contradicted with other studies.

The truth of the matter is, range of motion and muscle warmness as well as a full stretch provide for a lessened chance of injury because muscle have been given a larger range for which to operate. If you perform a complex action without a good stretch before, you can risk hyerextension and/or hyperflexion which is painful and can cause massive injury.

I beg to differ from 9 years of experience in this field in actual experience, as well as 4 years as a personal trainer. I've known hundreds of people from both schools of thought and the truth is, stretching before and after yields greater gains, less injury, and less soreness. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jay Cutler, Franco Columbu, Mariusz Pudjenowski, and many other power lifters, bodybuilders, and strongmen would agree.

Hope this gives some help.

I haven't seen a study that shows that stretching reduces the chance of getting injured or that it would affect muscle soreness so I would really much like to read them please.
I could give you many studies that shows that it doesn't have an affect on those matters, and you could find the bias there...
Check this for example: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Mar;36(3):371-8.

I don't want to be an smartass but from my own understanding this is myths. I know many with more/less the same knowledge and long background as you that got the same conclusion as me. When someone says the opposite of course I want to know what he base it upon, I hope you understand.
Also, I can see the posetive effects of longer range of motion no question there.
Gold: 0.70
Jul 28 2008 02:23pm
Stretching maintains tendon elasticity which means it'll stay well conditioned instead of stiffening up.

I have a question.
I'm really trying to beef up my neck right now, I've read the T-nation article on it with standing against the wall with a stability ball, also those neck harnesses.

I don't have either at the moment though I'm prolly gonna get a ball soon enough. You have any tips for the meantime in terms of putting on some neck thickness?
Jul 28 2008 03:25pm
Quote (FarticusUD @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 04:23pm)
Stretching maintains tendon elasticity which means it'll stay well conditioned instead of stiffening up.

I have a question.
I'm really trying to beef up my neck right now, I've read the T-nation article on it with standing against the wall with a stability ball, also those neck harnesses.

I don't have either at the moment though I'm prolly gonna get a ball soon enough. You have any tips for the meantime in terms of putting on some neck thickness?

overall the best idea to increase neck thickness and vascularity, work on vigorous traps exercises. Dumbell and barbell shrugs with important attention paid to the neck (flexing it in addition to the traps) works wonders. My neck gained 2 inches of size in about a year from doing extra traps. I have abnormally strong traps as it is...genetics...but when I focused on my neck with the shrugs...it was incredible.

Furthermore, a rope tied around your head with a weight dangling on the end of it, making slow nodding motions really helps build and front and back of the neck...give that a shot...the easiest way is to tie a loop through a weight plate and tie the rope around the top of your head (like a headband) and let it dangle in front of you.

hope this helps
Jul 28 2008 03:30pm
[FROM AN ANONYMOUS PRIVATE MESSAGE]

I AM POSTING THIS QUESTION AND REPLY TO HELP ALL OF YOU, BUT KEEPING THE PERSON'S IDENTITY PRIVATE =)

Question:

I am wanting to turn my diet around and start to excercise to lose weight, cause im kinda getting too far over sad.gif

So I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to start losing weight and what kinda foods I should eat, I've never done this before so I have no idea for myself.

Answer:

Hey There!

I'd be glad to help you. I'm happy to see that you're trying to make a positive change for your body. However, let me tell you right now, it will NOT be easy...and after a few days or weeks of training you will feel like you want to quit. I'm warning you in advance, DO NOT QUIT! You must stay true to the diet and exercise and if you do, you will thank me years from now when you look like a greek god! haha

with that said and done, lets get to business. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible as I don't want to make it difficult to read.

Diet -

Eat frequently (every 2-3 hours) smaller meals/snacks. Make sure to consume plenty of lean protein and HDL (good) fats...with NO SIMPLE Sugars/Carbohydrates (white flour, white rice, sugary foods/drinks) and only a small amount of complex carbohydrates (whole grains and vegetables) consumed during the first 3 meals.

Sample meal plan is as follows, with all meals seperated 2-3 hours each -

Breakfast (eat within the first 15 minutes of waking up!) - 1/2 cup oatmeal (splenda/xylitol and cinnamon can be used to sweeten it, 3 scrambled eggs, ice water (drink ice water to raise your metabolism)
Meal 2 - 1 can of tuna fish with 6 whole grain crackers or 1 slice of whole grain bread and ice water (you can use mustard and low fat mayo on the tuna as well as veggies)
Meal 3 - Salad with grilled chicken (use 100% extra virgin olive oil and vinegar as the dressing, all veggies and chicken, no croutons or cheese)
Meal 4 - 40 gram Protein Shake (drink this right before workout) [make sure to get a good protein shake like Optimum Nutrition 100% natural whey from bodybuilding.com]
Meal 5 - 40 gram Protein shake (drink this right after workout)
Meal 6 - 1 cup 2% milk cottage cheese with mixed nuts and cinnamon (really tasty)

There you go...that's the sample meal plan, you can feel free to change it up to fit your needs but you need to retain some primary directives which I will list below.

1. Only drink ice water, plain coffee/tea (caffeine is good), or diet soda (no sugar).
2. During first 3 meals you can eat complex carbs (brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, vegetables and fruits, whole grain cereals like oatmeal or shredded wheat etc) no more carbs after the 3 meals.
3. Make sure to only eat lean meats! (chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, lean beef, and fish)
4. READ THE LABELS OF FOOD YOU EAT! Make sure you aren't eating foods loaded with sugar or carbohydrates...or processed foods with lots of sodium, WATCH THE SODIUM! No more than 2,000 mg sodium per day TOTAL.
5. NO FAST FOOD (PERIOD)
6. If you eat at a restaurant, make sure to order food that is custom made to your diet (IE: grilled chicken and broccoli, Bison Burger with no bun, Grilled Fish w/ veggies, etc)
7. NO DESSERTS! If you have a huge sweet tooth, try to drink diet soda and check out protein bars made with no sugar (two great kinds of protein bars are the Labrada Lean Body Gold Cookie Twist, and the Zero Impact Pumpkin Supreme...if you wanted to eat these they replace one of your 6 meals).

Some other good foods I didn't list are: 2% Milk and cheese, Beans, Shrimp and Shellfish, Peanut Butter (100% natural no sugar added), Salsa (use on eggs, very tasty), etc.

Ok now to go with your lovely diet, here's some good ideas for exercise

First of all, join a gym...it is WELL WORTH the money. if you can not join a gym, go to my post here: which explains a great workout routine from home - http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=21269614&view=findpost&p=121866700

If you do decide to join a gym...or work out at home...the best policy is the following -

Work out for 1-2 hours a day (minimum of one hour) doing the following muscle groups and exercise ideals -

Monday - Chest/Back : Start with 15 minutes of cardio (treadmill, bike, or power walking) - don't go too fast or too hard, you don't want to lose your breath, just get warmed up. Then hit chest and back for a total of 20 sets (10 sets of each muscle group)

Tuesday - Cardio and Abs : Do 45 minutes of cardio (teadmill, bike, power walking, swimming, etc) and do 100-200 reps of good ab work (crunches, situps, leg raises, etc)

Wednesday - Shoulders and Legs - Start with 15 minutes of cardio warmup then do 20 sets total (10 sets of each muslce group)

Thursday - Cardio and Abs : Do 45 minutes of cardio (teadmill, bike, power walking, swimming, etc) and do 100-200 reps of good ab work (crunches, situps, leg raises, etc)

Friday - ARMS!!! - Start with 15 minutes of cardio warmup then do 20 sets total, 10 biceps and 10 triceps.

Saturday - Cardio and Abs : Do 45 minutes of cardio (teadmill, bike, power walking, swimming, etc) and do 100-200 reps of good ab work (crunches, situps, leg raises, etc)

Sunday - REST!! Take a break!

Also make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

Also, try to get some supplements - they really help -

1. Get Multivitamins (NOW! Adam)
2. Jet Fuel or Atrophex (good fat burners)
3. Protein Powder (Optimum Nutrition 100% natural Whey)

Ok Hope this helps! If you like the guide I made you and the time I took to do it for you, please feel free to donate heart.gif

PM me if you need anything else! Good Luck and Be Safe!

-SKCRaynor

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1345672039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll