d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1234562039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 124.00
Jul 28 2008 07:40am
Quote (Rucka @ Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 14:27)
I just want to jump in here... stretching is one of the key components in not only health/functionality but getting bigger. If you are a bodybuilder you should definetly look into intense stretching or "DC stretching" for those of you DCers out there.

Well, what purposes does it fill?
In which way does it help me to get bigger?
Gold: 15.21
Jul 28 2008 07:50am
Quote (My_Lesson @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 01:40pm)
Quote (Rucka @ Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 14:27)
I
just want to jump in here... stretching is one of the key components in
not only health/functionality but getting bigger. If you are a
bodybuilder you should definetly look into intense stretching or "DC
stretching" for those of you DCers out there.

Well, what purposes does it fill?
In which way does it help me to get bigger?

Great question:

In a nutshell: You're basically mimicking muscle memory by manipulating the connective tissue that surrounds/binds every muscle. This connective tissue can prevent the expansion of the muscle thus growth. So stretching and expanding the fascia, epimysium and other connective tissues will in essence allow for a muscle to "get bigger" all things being up to par.

From a physiological standpoint John Parillo believes that the deep fascia is the main concern of the bodybuilder to target, and Millwards research leads him to believe that the endomysium and perimysium are chiefly responsible for the restriction of muscle growth. The great news is that the same techniques for expansion of the fascia, work for the expansion of the endomysium and perimysium.

"There are four factors involved in fascia stretching.

1. Heat

If you are intent on truly mimicking muscle memory, you must not only stretch the fascia, but you must do it in an absolutely perfect environment or you will not reap even near optimal results! The first factor mentioned above was heat. You see a cold muscle has a limited range of motion. Our goal is to stretch the fascia past its previous limits and this cannot take place if range of motion is limited. Therefore you must adequately warm up before performing the techniques discussed shortly.

2. An incredible blood pump

Everyone here understands the extreme power of fluid! Whole canyons have been carved from water erosion! The same principle is applicable here. A tremendous back flow of fluid in a muscle group will stretch the connective tissue that restricts muscle growth. In other words the greater the pump, the more direct and effective the stretch in the fascia, epimysium, and perimysium will be!

3. Insanely Extreme Stretching

The third and most painful step in fascia expansion, is to manually stretch it. This entails stretching the target muscle group with insane intensity! By doing this you will force the girdle which inhibits enhanced mass, and enable further growth in the myofibrils( the largest aspect of a muscle fiber ).

4. Recovery!

Unfortunately, like every aspect of bodybuilding, we must have enough will power to allow the area worked to recover. You see, the pump, combined with extreme manual stretching will damage the connective tissue. In order for it to grow back and be remodeled as Millard puts it, into a larger bag, it must have a significant enough time to recover. This is not only a painful process, but like any type of extreme training is also stressful, and needs significant time to recover."

If you want more info I can point you in the right direction

But that's the general idea

hope i helped
Gold: 13.38
Jul 28 2008 08:01am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 04:19am)

Heres a sample meal plan for you.

Breakfast - Oatmeal and 3 whole eggs (the only meal you're allowed to have less than your quota of protein and a high dose of carbs)
meal 2 - 30 gram protein shake
meal 3 - tuna fish on a salad
meal 4 - chicken breast and broccoli
meal 5 - 30 gram protein shake
meal 6 - 1 cup cottage cheese and almonds w/ cinnamon (delicious before bedtime)

hope this helps!

Don't u think the meal plan is a lil awkward because the kcal intake isnt equal at every meal...just wondering? (or like 700-600-550-500-500-450 which is good 2 as u prolly know because breakfast is msot important for a bodybuilder)I know it's hard to make a meal plan without having his stats and bodytype.

Btw howcome your deadlift is a lil low compared to your bench? nice bench though, im kind of jealous although i'm not training as a powerlifter.

Your strength is quite impressive when seeing your height and weight, are you still natural? Do you think you've gotten the max out of your body for 9 year?

This post was edited by Rogier on Jul 28 2008 08:08am
Gold: 124.00
Jul 28 2008 09:01am
Quote (Rucka @ Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 14:50)
Great question:

In a nutshell: You're basically mimicking muscle memory by manipulating the connective tissue that surrounds/binds every muscle. This connective tissue can prevent the expansion of the muscle thus growth. So stretching and expanding the fascia, epimysium and other connective tissues will in essence allow for a muscle to "get bigger" all things being up to par.

From a physiological standpoint John Parillo believes that the deep fascia is the main concern of the bodybuilder to target, and Millwards research leads him to believe that the endomysium and perimysium are chiefly responsible for the restriction of muscle growth. The great news is that the same techniques for expansion of the fascia, work for the expansion of the endomysium and perimysium.

1. Heat

If you are intent on truly mimicking muscle memory, you must not only stretch the fascia, but you must do it in an absolutely perfect environment or you will not reap even near optimal results! The first factor mentioned above was heat. You see a cold muscle has a limited range of motion. Our goal is to stretch the fascia past its previous limits and this cannot take place if range of motion is limited. Therefore you must adequately warm up before performing the techniques discussed shortly.

Everyone here understands the extreme power of fluid! Whole canyons have been carved from water erosion! The same principle is applicable here. A tremendous back flow of fluid in a muscle group will stretch the connective tissue that restricts muscle growth. In other words the greater the pump, the more direct and effective the stretch in the fascia, epimysium, and perimysium will be!

The third and most painful step in fascia expansion, is to manually stretch it. This entails stretching the target muscle group with insane intensity! By doing this you will force the girdle which inhibits enhanced mass, and enable further growth in the myofibrils( the largest aspect of a muscle fiber ).

4. Recovery!

Unfortunately, like every aspect of bodybuilding, we must have enough will power to allow the area worked to recover. You see, the pump, combined with extreme manual stretching will damage the connective tissue. In order for it to grow back and be remodeled as Millard puts it, into a larger bag, it must have a significant enough time to recover. This is not only a painful process, but like any type of extreme training is also stressful, and needs significant time to recover."

hope i helped

This was news to me and it sounds interesting even tho I've never seen studys that show that stretching is posetive for muscle growth. Would like some more info about this please.
Also a question, wouldn't the stretch on the fuscia by hypertrophy of the muscle stretch them enough?
Gold: 15.21
Jul 28 2008 09:06am
Quote (My_Lesson @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 03:01pm)
Quote (Rucka @ Mon, 28 Jul 2008, 14:50)
Great question:

In
a nutshell: You're basically mimicking muscle memory by manipulating
the connective tissue that surrounds/binds every muscle. This
connective tissue can prevent the expansion of the muscle thus growth.
So stretching and expanding the fascia, epimysium and other connective
tissues will in essence allow for a muscle to "get bigger" all things
being up to par.

From a physiological standpoint John
Parillo believes that the deep fascia is the main concern of the
bodybuilder to target, and Millwards research leads him to believe that
the endomysium and perimysium are chiefly responsible for the
restriction of muscle growth. The great news is that the same
techniques for expansion of the fascia, work for the expansion of the
endomysium and perimysium.

1. Heat

If
you are intent on truly mimicking muscle memory, you must not only
stretch the fascia, but you must do it in an absolutely perfect
environment or you will not reap even near optimal results! The first
factor mentioned above was heat. You see a cold muscle has a limited
range of motion. Our goal is to stretch the fascia past its previous
limits and this cannot take place if range of motion is limited.
Therefore you must adequately warm up before performing the techniques
discussed shortly.

Everyone
here understands the extreme power of fluid! Whole canyons have been
carved from water erosion! The same principle is applicable here. A
tremendous back flow of fluid in a muscle group will stretch the
connective tissue that restricts muscle growth. In other words the
greater the pump, the more direct and effective the stretch in the
fascia, epimysium, and perimysium will be!

The
third and most painful step in fascia expansion, is to manually stretch
it. This entails stretching the target muscle group with insane
intensity! By doing this you will force the girdle which inhibits
enhanced mass, and enable further growth in the myofibrils( the largest
aspect of a muscle fiber ).

4. Recovery!

Unfortunately,
like every aspect of bodybuilding, we must have enough will power to
allow the area worked to recover. You see, the pump, combined with
extreme manual stretching will damage the connective tissue. In order
for it to grow back and be remodeled as Millard puts it, into a larger
bag, it must have a significant enough time to recover. This is not
only a painful process, but like any type of extreme training is also
stressful, and needs significant time to recover."

hope i helped

This
was news to me and it sounds interesting even tho I've never seen
studys that show that stretching is posetive for muscle growth. Would
like some more info about this please.
Also a question, wouldn't the stretch on the fuscia by hypertrophy of the muscle stretch them enough?

Sent you a PM. Stretch on the fascia by hypertrophy I believe is normally how people get bigger of course, why not aid in that process? There will come a point where simple hypertrophy will be limited by the fascia/connective tissue in which case you need to manipulate it
Gold: 25.00
Jul 28 2008 09:29am
Quote (Wopsey @ Sat, Jul 19 2008, 04:55pm)
Okay, well I'm looking for someone who knows what they are talking about to toss me some information / advice about losing weight.

Currently, I'm 17 years old (almost 18), 6'2 and 235 Lbs.

I'm not really sure how to describe this, but my body has a weird build. All of my weight is in the torso. My legs are normal (again, not sure how to describe this) in the way that they look like an average mans size (seeing as at my age / height, I'm technically obeise). My arms, neck, etc. all look normal (in the same way). However, once you get to my torso, its quite fat.

Now I don't wanna say this is all fat, I'm still quite muscular and ocasionally lift weights, however I would like to lose some weight this summer tongue.gif

As for what I eat, not going to lie it will need some changes. I usually eat whatever I want (I'm a teenager with very little bills woking 30 hours a week with plenty of money to waste) such as donuts, pizza, pop, fast food, etc.

I understand that is going to change, and hoping someone will help me with that tongue.gif

I don't take any vitamins / protein (all my friends do, one of my friends actually works at GNC and tried to get me into it with free shit, but I don't want to) and would like to stay away from doing them.

Currently I work out once to twice a week, and plan to up that to 3-5 times a week. I like to use free weights (not a big fan of the machines) and can't do much work on lower body (I have flat feet, VERY bad ankles, and this year in football I injured myself even more) unless I use the machines.

As for what I do, I usually preacher curl 60-80, bench 150-205 (205 being the most I've ever sucessfully done, then again havn't tried recently). I do this workout (honeslty have NO idea what its called) with a dumbell above my head (usually 50-60 lbs) lifting it above my head up and down, works triceps. (someone wanna tell me what this is called? Lol).

If you need any other info just ask, and I'll be more than happy to respond.

Thanks in advance for any information given wink.gif

I posted that about a week ago (prob didn't see it).

So far I've been recomended Psyllium Husk (picked some up), HIIT, and a change in eating.

I've slowly started to change, whats your take on perhaps a workout strategy / plan to change my lifestyle? tongue.gif

Gold: 0.00
Jul 28 2008 12:28pm
Hello there, welcome to the forums, and thank you very much for the incredible wealth of information you've brought to the table so far hug.gif

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140ish

Well, I have a few questions, as well. My first will be about vitamins. What vitamins/supplements should I take on a daily basis while I am NOT lifting? This summer I haven't been able to lift; I don't have access to a gym or any weights. I do pushups and bodyweight exercises, but that only does so much for me. Anyway, is there anything I should be taking just to stay healthy?

Also, come the beginning of September, I'm going to be starting a rigerous bulk (as you can see by the weight, I really need it..). It'll be a clean bulk as much as it can be. I'm going to be following a very, very similar meal plan to the one you posted in this thread: Meal 1, 3 eggs and 2 pieces of toast for carbs. Meal 2, 30g shake. Meal 3, tuna sandwich. Meal 4, 30 g shake and peanut butter and jelly sandwich (this is preworkout meal). Workout at about 2:45. Meal 5, usually chicken or beef of some sort. Meal 6, 30 g shake.

Is this diet good for a bulk, or bad? Haven't done the total cals protein and carbs yet, but I think it will be sufficient. Maybe slightly overkill, so I will probably tweak it, and I'd like some help on that.

Also, any specific vitamins I should be taking in addition to the daily ones while I'm bulking?

Thanks a bunch wub.gif
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jul 28 2008 01:26pm
on the topic of stretching to reply to several posts -

Yes, stretching is VITAL in growth, maintenance, and protection from injury!! You must stretch before and after working out (sometime during if you feel exceptionally tight)

The best stretching guide can be found here: (complete guide with videos and pictures) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stretches.htm

If you stretch before and after workouts, you will notice less muscle soreness, greatest range of motion (which equals greater strength and agility in most cases), and a much lower chance of injury during workout.

In conjunction with stretching, make sure to take joint-support supplementation if you can (Glucosamine, Condroiton, and MSM)

Hope this helps!
Jul 28 2008 01:30pm
Quote (Rogier @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:01am)
Don't u think the meal plan is a lil awkward because the kcal intake isnt equal at every meal...just wondering? (or like 700-600-550-500-500-450 which is good 2 as u prolly know because breakfast is msot important for a bodybuilder)I know it's hard to make a meal plan without having his stats and bodytype.

Btw howcome your deadlift is a lil low compared to your bench? nice bench though, im kind of jealous although i'm not training as a powerlifter.

Your strength is quite impressive when seeing your height and weight, are you still natural? Do you think you've gotten the max out of your body for 9 year?

Actually the caloric intake is as follows:

Breakfast - Oatmeal and 3 whole eggs (the only meal you're allowed to have less than your quota of protein and a high dose of carbs) 400 calories
meal 2 - 30 gram protein shake (250 calories)
meal 3 - tuna fish on a salad (300 calories)
meal 4 - chicken breast and broccoli (300 calories)
meal 5 - 30 gram protein shake (250 calories)
meal 6 - 1 cup cottage cheese and almonds w/ cinnamon (delicious before bedtime) (300 calories)

thats 1,800 calories assuming you'd be getting about 100-200 more from olive oil and other good fats for supplementation. =)

hope this helps!

Also, my deadlift is low compared to my benchpress because I do my deadlift for TWO reps. My single rep deadlift would be higher but I don't dare attempt it for fear of injury. A good rule of thumb for deadlift is strive for 2-3 reps at max...don't go for one GIGANTIC rep...as this can literally be the single most dangerous exercise at the gym. if I was to go for 1 single rep I'd probably be in the 475 area. =D

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Jul 28 2008 01:31pm
Jul 28 2008 01:35pm
Quote (kil-art @ Mon, Jul 28 2008, 02:28pm)
Hello there, welcome to the forums, and thank you very much for the incredible wealth of information you've brought to the table so far hug.gif

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140ish

Well, I have a few questions, as well. My first will be about vitamins. What vitamins/supplements should I take on a daily basis while I am NOT lifting? This summer I haven't been able to lift; I don't have access to a gym or any weights. I do pushups and bodyweight exercises, but that only does so much for me. Anyway, is there anything I should be taking just to stay healthy?

Also, come the beginning of September, I'm going to be starting a rigerous bulk (as you can see by the weight, I really need it..). It'll be a clean bulk as much as it can be. I'm going to be following a very, very similar meal plan to the one you posted in this thread: Meal 1, 3 eggs and 2 pieces of toast for carbs. Meal 2, 30g shake. Meal 3, tuna sandwich. Meal 4, 30 g shake and peanut butter and jelly sandwich (this is preworkout meal). Workout at about 2:45. Meal 5, usually chicken or beef of some sort. Meal 6, 30 g shake.

Is this diet good for a bulk, or bad? Haven't done the total cals protein and carbs yet, but I think it will be sufficient. Maybe slightly overkill, so I will probably tweak it, and I'd like some help on that.

Also, any specific vitamins I should be taking in addition to the daily ones while I'm bulking?

Thanks a bunch wub.gif

Always take your multivitamins every day (with additional supplements for specific goals....like a good stimulant fat burner if you're trying to cut (Jet-Fuel or Atrophex are exceptional) and/or joint-support products if you have a history of joint problems in your family or if you are overweight or work out vigorously more than 3-4 times a week.

Your diet sounds good for bulking - however I would add cytogainer weight gainer to the mix instead of just protein powder - the increased levels of slow acting carbs, creatine, and other nutrients really helps get the bulking process started.

Look into the following vitamins/supps for bulking cycle -

Micronized Creatine
Amino Fuel
Arginine/Ornithine
HMB
Meletonin before bed

GOOD LUCK!

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1234562039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll