d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1201020112012201320142039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,804.50
Jul 7 2017 08:17pm
i saw red lentil pasta at the store, which has a slightly higher percent of protein and fiber ratio with respect to calories compared to whole wheat pasta. is it more nutritious than whole wheat pasta, or is it just a gimmick?

http://tolerantfoods.com/our-products/organic-red-lentil-pasta-8-oz-rotini/
Gold: Locked
Jul 8 2017 03:23am
My question is: are protein bars good for you and are they better before or after a workout? (Whether it's more of a lifting session or cardio)

Right now I'm not trying to gain weight anymore, and I guess I'm trying to cut (but maintaining is just fine as well). I sometimes take a protein bar before going to the gym and then take a shake during/after.
Or how I've done it the past few days is take the shake during/after and have a protein bar after.

I usually don't take creatine, but I just noticed one of the bars I've been eating 3/4 times this week has 3G of creatine in it (I'm sure such a little amount won't help me neither harm me).

When I did some research online I see everyone/most people saying not to eat the bar if you are cutting and to eat it if you are trying to bulk. Then they say if they need a protein bar they would rather just make it themselves (wonder how they make it and how it tastes).

I wanted to get your opinion on this matter.
Thanks
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jul 11 2017 01:17pm
Quote (Greet @ Jun 23 2017 11:28am)
Since I eat my first meal before I exercise, should I still take BCAAs? I usually do this: eat breakfast, go shoot the basketball around for 30min-1hr, then lift for 1-1:30hr. Should I take BCAA's prior to basketball, or after basketball before/during my workout?

Prior to the actual lifting workout (not the cardio).
Jul 11 2017 01:17pm
Quote (Bourse @ Jun 23 2017 05:23pm)
related to this, I still can't squat with weight, knee hurts too bad

what exercises can I do to work my legs that wouldn't hurt the knee? I tried lunges, leg press, both hurt :(( Deadlifts feel fine, so I'm doing a decent volume of it, works my posterior chain just fine, but I have no "pressing" movement of the legs of any sort right now in my training

also, do you have any exercise recommendation to strengthen those bitch knees of mine pls? Thank you very much sir, you are the best

Wear a good knee brace and either do leg press machine, or just leg extensions/leg curls with the deadlifts.

The knees will get better with time, including the R.I.C.E. method.
Jul 11 2017 01:19pm
Quote (Gjeely @ Jun 23 2017 06:24pm)
Hi! I am new in this section so.

5F8 155 LBS. I'm trying to bulk to 160 and maintain it also building more muscles than fat.
I do bodyweight training at home so I am maybe a little bit limited for building size.
What I eat during the day:
Breakfast: Chicken (breast or in canned) or turkey + 1 egg+ vegetables.
Snack: Protein shake
Second Meal: Tuna with 2 breads and some brocolis on the sides
Third Meal: Chicken/rice/beef/vegetables/macaroni

So after my third meal should I take something else too? Remember I want to be really lean but maintain at least 160. I feel if I go more than 160 I will be too big for my size.

Thank you!

EDIT: sometimes I go out with friends.. and I don't want to eat junk foods. What could I buy or eat? I don't mind going to a supermarket or whatever.

This is very broad. Depending on the actual size of each meal as well as the condiments used in preparing, you may or may not be OK. Your general BMR, with no exercise is about 1,800. Every hour of intensive exercise adds 500 cals of need. So a day with 1 hr exercise would put you around 2,300 cals. As long as you are eating the proper cals for the day, you will be fine.
Jul 11 2017 01:22pm
Quote (KCCO @ Jun 26 2017 12:55pm)
Hey ray was hoping for some insight here- everyday after lunch at work regardless of what I eat (salad, pasta, wrap) I have to take poop like immediately after. Doesn't happen on the weekends or anything only during the week and it's everyday. Mom-Friday. What's causing this? I eat breakfast at around 630 am and lunch around 12-1. Is there any way to stop?

Fairly normal issue caused by gastrocolic reflex which causes peristaltic waves and GI constriction. Basically, your body is signaling to evacuate based on a lack of room for additional food (or so it perceives). This is a commonplace of people with fast metabolisms or minor GI issues. The solution would be to eat foods with very low fiber and avoid drinks like coffee/tea. Eventually it will retrain your GI system.
Jul 11 2017 01:24pm
Quote (Nevada @ Jun 28 2017 10:05pm)
I did 80 diamond push ups in set of 20's about 4 days ago
Diamond push ups I do them once in a while but tbh pretty hard to keep a good form doing them, I have a hard time keeping my elbows tucked near my chest and I heard you can also damage your elbows too if you keep the diamond too close like I did
Anyway, my front shoulder kinda hurt a little if I move it in a certain way now (Only my right side front shoulder)

I can move my whole arm no problem feel nothing, but if I flex my shoulder forward a bit while I move my right elbow up to the side I get some disconfort in the shoulder
Nothing crazy, nothing painful at all just disconfort a bit with little pain if I only move my shoulder a certain way

Anyway, sucks because I am moving a new place this weekend and starting tomorrow I have to move heavy fournitures...hopefully It dont get worse
I've massaged some ice pain reliever blue thingy liquid on my shoulder last night but it did nothing

If u got any tips let me know

R.I.C.E (rest ice compression elevation). Sounds like minor inflammation. Ice the area 4x a day, for 20 mins each time, keep the area elevated (already easy because it is), use a brace if it gets really bad (doubtful), and avoid any lifting (kinda difficult now, right?)

Also, take ibuprofen and omega-3's to assist with lowering the inflammation.
Jul 11 2017 01:25pm
Quote (Fioravanti @ Jul 4 2017 03:29pm)
Diamond push ups can cause severe harm to your wrists and elbows because they are not in a natural position. Most likely you tried to revert some of the pressure off of your wrists by tightening the muscles in your back thus putting too much strain on it.

Please be advised that this sticky is for me to answer questions only. Regardless of the helpfulness or validity of your reply, this rule is paramount to avoid bad information being spread.

Thank you for complying with the rules.
Jul 11 2017 01:26pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Jul 7 2017 10:17pm)
i saw red lentil pasta at the store, which has a slightly higher percent of protein and fiber ratio with respect to calories compared to whole wheat pasta. is it more nutritious than whole wheat pasta, or is it just a gimmick?

http://tolerantfoods.com/our-products/organic-red-lentil-pasta-8-oz-rotini/

Any pasta made with quinoa, lentils, or other bases that are more nutritious than wheat will always have better macros. Now, whether or not you need those specific macros for your diet, depends on what else you're eating. Regular pasta is fine, but obviously macros must be considered no matter what.
Jul 11 2017 01:28pm
Quote (chelsea11 @ Jul 8 2017 05:23am)
My question is: are protein bars good for you and are they better before or after a workout? (Whether it's more of a lifting session or cardio)

Right now I'm not trying to gain weight anymore, and I guess I'm trying to cut (but maintaining is just fine as well). I sometimes take a protein bar before going to the gym and then take a shake during/after.
Or how I've done it the past few days is take the shake during/after and have a protein bar after.

I usually don't take creatine, but I just noticed one of the bars I've been eating 3/4 times this week has 3G of creatine in it (I'm sure such a little amount won't help me neither harm me).

When I did some research online I see everyone/most people saying not to eat the bar if you are cutting and to eat it if you are trying to bulk. Then they say if they need a protein bar they would rather just make it themselves (wonder how they make it and how it tastes).

I wanted to get your opinion on this matter.
Thanks

It depends on the bar. I advocate sticking to bars that are free of artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, etc. I also recommend sticking to whey protein, egg protein, and beef protein - opposed to vegetable or soy protein. That being said, Quest Bars (the natural ones) are the best overall on the market right now. High fiber, 20g protein, no artificial additives, filling, and taste good.

You can eat protein bars whenever, just make sure they fit into your normal diet routine (macro wise). Post workout, a whey protein isolate shake is superior.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1201020112012201320142039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll