d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1191819191920192119222039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,093.37
Jun 11 2015 10:53am
Hey rey can you give me your opinion in this. I posted in the general forum, probably should have just put it here to begin with..

I went in yesterday for a stress test, I'm 29, 5'9", 178lbs +/- water weight. Kinda chubby still i guess, better than the 205 i was looking at a year and a half ago. The doctor said I did great on the physical part walking and running on the treadmill, i went to the level 4 max then he bumped it up to 7mph running uphill for 1.5minutes extra to get my heart rate up to 185.

I recently had bloodwork done too, everything came back excellent, cholesterol, blood pressure, ....getting all my nutrients and stuff they said im in pretty good health for my age group.

Anyway the scans they did on my heart with the radioactive juice that absorbs in my bloodstream came back not so good. Normally they said 55-65% is typical,(mind you these tests are designed for 60-80yr old people, doc never said the test was for my age group) but i guess my heart is only working at 47%. They have me slated to go back in july 8th to find out where the blockages/ restrictions are.

My parents both died in their 40's, dad was 43, mom was 48. Both cardiac arrest. My dad suffered half a dozen before he passed but my mom only had one. Doctors were too slow figuring out wtf was wrong. That in mind I figured I better get checked and its good that I did, obviously.

So I have a few questions I should have asked the doctor probably but didnt think of it in time.

1-Does the reduced bloodflow hinder potential gains in the gym? The doctor said I should definitely keep on working out, the nurse practicioner said it probably wouldnt matter if i quit tobacco(did last month anyway) and worked out and ate healthy, it could be hereditary and theres nothing I can do...i wanted to smack her lol.

2-would it help or hurt to double dose on some creatine, maybe dilate the arteries and veins to promote better bloodflow? I typically drink 8-10 17oz bottles of water a day.

3- are there any ways at all to help my situation? Natural supplements , daily life practices, anything. Its almost like I'm looking at a 15 year death sentence, +/-.

Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jun 12 2015 10:45am
Quote (Zigity @ Jun 11 2015 12:06pm)
following the first plan you listed will make the most sense for me

i just started a new job and often times my hours are from 5pm-11pm or later... that is a very long time to go without eating. i don't get food breaks, but i push for them every shift... it's BS, i know. i make food as soon as i get home again before bed
i try to eat as much as i can each day but don't necessarily have a meal plan. for breakfast i usually have 5 eggs, bagel w/ cream cheese banana and apple, and my other meals consist of chicken cutlets and mixed veggies/rice
should i be drinking bcaas during the long work shift?

lastly, could you just give me an example of one of the supersets in the first linked routine? for example "Incline DB Flies SUPERSET with Flat DB Flies" i want to make sure i am understanding it correctly

thanks

Take a 40-50g protein shake during your shift or slam a protein bar to solve the problem.

A superset in that case would mean that you complete the first set of incline DB flies, and immediately after finishing them, you would begin a set of flat DB flies, thus linking both sets into one large set, AKA superset.

so, 15 reps of incline flies, followed immediately by 15 reps of flat flies, all without rest between, would be a superset.
Jun 12 2015 10:53am
Quote (mykromisfit @ Jun 11 2015 12:53pm)
Hey rey can you give me your opinion in this. I posted in the general forum, probably should have just put it here to begin with..

I went in yesterday for a stress test, I'm 29, 5'9", 178lbs +/- water weight. Kinda chubby still i guess, better than the 205 i was looking at a year and a half ago. The doctor said I did great on the physical part walking and running on the treadmill, i went to the level 4 max then he bumped it up to 7mph running uphill for 1.5minutes extra to get my heart rate up to 185.

I recently had bloodwork done too, everything came back excellent, cholesterol, blood pressure, ....getting all my nutrients and stuff they said im in pretty good health for my age group.

Anyway the scans they did on my heart with the radioactive juice that absorbs in my bloodstream came back not so good. Normally they said 55-65% is typical,(mind you these tests are designed for 60-80yr old people, doc never said the test was for my age group) but i guess my heart is only working at 47%. They have me slated to go back in july 8th to find out where the blockages/ restrictions are.

My parents both died in their 40's, dad was 43, mom was 48. Both cardiac arrest. My dad suffered half a dozen before he passed but my mom only had one. Doctors were too slow figuring out wtf was wrong. That in mind I figured I better get checked and its good that I did, obviously.

So I have a few questions I should have asked the doctor probably but didnt think of it in time.

1-Does the reduced bloodflow hinder potential gains in the gym? The doctor said I should definitely keep on working out, the nurse practicioner said it probably wouldnt matter if i quit tobacco(did last month anyway) and worked out and ate healthy, it could be hereditary and theres nothing I can do...i wanted to smack her lol.

2-would it help or hurt to double dose on some creatine, maybe dilate the arteries and veins to promote better bloodflow? I typically drink 8-10 17oz bottles of water a day.

3- are there any ways at all to help my situation? Natural supplements , daily life practices, anything. Its almost like I'm looking at a 15 year death sentence, +/-.

Good afternoon.

1. Reduced bloodflow can hinder gains at the gym, and actually create higher blood pressure under stressful environments (such as weight lifting) increasing the risk of heart attack during exercise.

2. No, doubling the dose of creatine will NOT help your situation - however there are many things that WILL help.

3. YES! see below:

1. Eliminate trans fat from your diet all together (no hydrogenated oils - read all labels)
2. Reduce saturated fat intake as low as possible (you want a 4:1 ratio or better of unsaturated fat to saturated fat, per day) - avoid red meat (beef/steak/etc) and replace with white meat wherever possible (fish/chicken/etc)
3. Increase good fat consumption! Good fats, such as those from fish, avocados, olive oil, flax, EFA supplements, etc. are all extremely important. You should consume at LEAST 60g of good fat per day.
4. Decrease sugar intake dramatically - you should consume no more than 20g of sugar per day. Carbs should be from fibrous complex sources, such as whole grains and most veggies.
5. Drink at least 1-1.5 gals of water per day
6. Eliminate tobacco and alcohol from your life all together (as well as drug use if applicable)
7. Exercise at least 1 hour per day, 6 days a week, with at least 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio each day.
8. Take supplements, such as Omega-3's (with every meal), Red Yeast Rice (NOW! Brand) , Multivitamins (NOW! Adam), COQ10 (NOW! Brand), and green tea extract (NOW! brand)
9. Reduce stress from your lifestyle as much as possible. Try meditation, yoga, and always get at least 8 hours of sleep per night.
10. Reduce sodium intake to no more than 2,000mg per day, and balance it with preferably 4,000 mg potassium, 2,000mg magnesium, and 2,000mg calcium through proper diet.
Gold: 849.09
Jun 13 2015 01:17am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jun 12 2015 11:45am)
Take a 40-50g protein shake during your shift or slam a protein bar to solve the problem.

A superset in that case would mean that you complete the first set of incline DB flies, and immediately after finishing them, you would begin a set of flat DB flies, thus linking both sets into one large set, AKA superset.

so, 15 reps of incline flies, followed immediately by 15 reps of flat flies, all without rest between, would be a superset.

earlier today what I did for the flat/incline superset was as follows: 1. incline db fly 20 lbs x15/immediately followed by flat db fly 25 x15.... 2. waited 60-90sec and repeated process with 5lb increase.... 3. waited 60-90 sec and repeated with an additional 5lb increase x15-failure
too much? not enough? wasn't sure if I should follow the same procedure for single exercise sets including the warmup set etc. did I perform the superset sufficiently?
Gold: 3,804.50
Jun 13 2015 08:56pm
are hair dryers fine for hair? i'm thinking about getting one. right now i just towel dry it, and it stays wet for a while after.
Jun 17 2015 08:38am
Quote (Zigity @ Jun 13 2015 03:17am)
earlier today what I did for the flat/incline superset was as follows: 1. incline db fly 20 lbs x15/immediately followed by flat db fly 25 x15.... 2. waited 60-90sec and repeated process with 5lb increase.... 3. waited 60-90 sec and repeated with an additional 5lb increase x15-failure
too much? not enough? wasn't sure if I should follow the same procedure for single exercise sets including the warmup set etc. did I perform the superset sufficiently?

The sets were sufficient, however only YOU can determine if it was enough. Did your chest feel absolutely exhausted? Did you feel as if you pushed yourself as hard as possible?
Jun 17 2015 08:39am
Quote (carteblanche @ Jun 13 2015 10:56pm)
are hair dryers fine for hair? i'm thinking about getting one. right now i just towel dry it, and it stays wet for a while after.

Any concentrated heat source, directed at your hair, will cause damage. That being said, using a cool setting on the hair dryer will NOT hurt your hair.

Towel/Air Drying is superior in terms of long-term hair health
Gold: 849.09
Jun 17 2015 01:54pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jun 17 2015 09:38am)
The sets were sufficient, however only YOU can determine if it was enough. Did your chest feel absolutely exhausted? Did you feel as if you pushed yourself as hard as possible?

Absolutely- I was more referring to if the structure was correct. Ie, I wasn't sure if SUPERSET meant literally doing 1 set, or 5 sets like the single exercises- which is why I did 3 "sets" on my SUPERSET
Jun 17 2015 04:55pm
Quote (Zigity @ Jun 17 2015 03:54pm)
Absolutely- I was more referring to if the structure was correct. Ie, I wasn't sure if SUPERSET meant literally doing 1 set, or 5 sets like the single exercises- which is why I did 3 "sets" on my SUPERSET

Yes, the structure is correct. 3 supersets is fine. Remember, you can ALWAYS add more. 3 supersets is merely a guideline at this point - but nothing is in stone. The MORE the better on hypertrophy.
Gold: 1,120.01
Jun 18 2015 12:51am
What should my carb intake be when I'm trying to cut bf%
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1191819191920192119222039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll