d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Rip Key Bridge
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 5 2024 01:15pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 5 2024 01:12pm)
Still seems a bit fishy to me. As I said... way too convenient of an excuse.

The most likely logical explanation = "too convenient"?

so you'd be more convinced if it was a more complicated and "less convenient excuse"? odd take.
Gold: 1.66
Apr 5 2024 01:23pm
Cargo ships melt steel beams.
Gold: 16,514.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 5 2024 01:47pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 5 2024 12:12pm)
Still seems a bit fishy to me. As I said... way too convenient of an excuse.

Ghot's razor: the simplest answer with the least amount of assumptions is.....way too convenient
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 5 2024 02:18pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 5 2024 03:15pm)
The most likely logical explanation = "too convenient"?

so you'd be more convinced if it was a more complicated and "less convenient excuse"? odd take.

OK... I'll pretend you didn't understand what I said. :/
Gold: 8,933.00
Apr 5 2024 06:07pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 5 2024 08:32am)
Well... I still think the explanations offered about the incident are just too pat. I still think the explanations are BS.

As for your experience, you haven't offered anything except a few pics.
Nothing about tonnage, size, etc.

I still don't believe that a cargo ship that size wouldn't have backups. Hell... wouldn't be required by law to have backup generators... etc.

You can argue all you want, but I'll stick with what I think happened. :)

Seems the Dali has FOUR generators, two of which are backups.
As I said long ago... I don't believe there was a power failure.

I already told you: I was a master helmsman. That means I was qualified to drive (operate throttles and steering) a guided missile cruiser (10,000 tons) in the USN. I have driven into and out of ports, and alongside refueling and resupply ships at sea, through the Suez Canal, and other critical evolutions. Ordinary helmsmen drive in the open ocean. Ordinary helmsmen aren't qualified to operate the emergency steerage (directly in the steering room which I showed you). I know how to handle ships, and I know what to do in emergencies. I've also operated the capstans on the foc'sle for deploying and hoisting anchors, and understand how a ship handles while one is being deployed or hoisted. I also understand that large vessels don't have huge batteries on board for starting engines and generators, and rely on existing power (shore power or already running generators) to start other equipment. Emergency (aux) generators function as the battery for getting main engines and generators started if you've lost power on your main generators. I've also explained to you that steering control is functionally useless shortly after losing propulsion control (it has ONE engine).

Now, what's YOUR experience on ocean going ships?
Gold: 10,655.00
Apr 5 2024 07:12pm
Quote (Santara @ Apr 5 2024 08:07pm)
Now, what's YOUR experience on ocean going ships?

I was "trained" on them. All different kinds.
I was an electronics tech for 7 years... I had to FIX anything electronic. LOL

I can also read... The Dali had FOUR generators. Two operate and two backup. I know the control panels. I know how fast generators can be switched.

You can believe what you want. Here's a news flash... I can believe what I want, as well.
You need to grow up bro. People are allowed to have their own opinions... even if they differ from yours.

Once again... I "repaired" the stuff you're assuming you understand, cause you can steer a boat. ^^

I'm done with this... have a nice day, and try to remember... none of this is personal. :)

This post was edited by Ghot on Apr 5 2024 07:14pm
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 5 2024 09:39pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 6 2024 06:12am)

I can also read... The Dali had FOUR generators. Two operate and two backup. I know the control panels. I know how fast generators can be switched.

You can believe what you want. Here's a news flash... I can believe what I want, as well.
You need to grow up bro. People are allowed to have their own opinions... even if they differ from yours.

Once again... I "repaired" the stuff you're assuming you understand, cause you can steer a boat. ^^

I'm done with this... have a nice day, and try to remember... none of this is personal. :)

Telling people to grow up as the 70 year old that spouts absurde garbage on this site through the years then argues with people half his age online who constantly call you out. Peak irony.

Ghotted.

This post was edited by SBD on Apr 5 2024 09:40pm
Gold: 1,155.00
Apr 6 2024 05:13am
Quote (SBD @ Apr 5 2024 10:39pm)
Telling people to grow up as the 70 year old that spouts absurde garbage on this site through the years then argues with people half his age online who constantly call you out. Peak irony.

Ghotted.

this is the pot calling the kettle "non-white".
Gold: 8,933.00
Apr 6 2024 07:20am
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 5 2024 08:12pm)

ETs are not electricians. You're trying to bullshit a bullshitter. Fixing circuit boards is not the same thing as keeping the lights on.

Having 4 generators doesn't mean they run 4 generators all the time. It is standard to not run aux generators except to light off main generators. It is also standard to only run 1 main generator at a time.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll