d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Taxatation Is Theft 2024
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.66
Feb 1 2024 11:40am
Quote (SBD @ Feb 1 2024 09:31am)
Your surrounding may also dictate. I live in a place of 78% unemployment, meanwhile there's tons of job vacancies but why work when you get a home for nominal $48 dollars per month rent, child tax payments, social security. You have all your major needs take care off and never have to work a day in your life.

I paid over 100K in taxes this year because I get up everyday and go to something I don't really even like so they can sit at home, perfectly sound fit people.

Am I for the abolishment of social security, social housing, child tax, etc. No. I am for the re-organization of its administration though, there's no enforcement for abuse, this includes EI, there's no structure forcing these people to act and eventually move away from those safety nets, its just here's your monthly money and a roof over your head , compliments of the guy who goes to work.

There's surely conversations to be had about how taxation and social programs are administered, no doubt. I'm just speaking to the folks who oppose taxation as a whole.

Quote (Jupe @ Feb 1 2024 09:31am)
I would gladly take glee in the suffering of free-riders

I'd make sure some of my taxes go towards you getting to enjoy some anime, gamer.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 1 2024 09:32am)
The reason humanity isn't gonna make it in the very long term is our inability to see very basic things beyond ourselves. Time and time again it's shown that people will pick the worse path for society as long as they aren't hurt as much as their neighbors. Being higher on the pole than others is prioritized even if the pole as a whole got lower.

Staunch Libertarians have such an optimistic view of human behavior, bordering on the delusional.
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 1 2024 11:41am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Feb 1 2024 10:40am)
There's surely conversations to be had about how taxation and social programs are administered, no doubt. I'm just speaking to the folks who oppose taxation as a whole.

I'd make sure some of my taxes go towards you getting to enjoy some anime, gamer.

Staunch Libertarians have such an optimistic view of human behavior, bordering on the delusional.

I guess my point is, I think a lot more people in the anti-taxation camp could be brought to a more moderate middle ground if we saw better administration.

I think COVID also moved some of the moderates into anti-tax camp.

You should have saw Canada's administration of CERB, $2,000 per month. It was as easy as going online and signing up for a very basic thing.

Then you have like the average moderate who sees news headlines like:

"Feds paid out over $442 million in CERB double payments"
"CRA fires 185 employees to date for 'inappropriately ..."
"Organized crime 'knowingly and actively' exploited federal ..."
"CRA clawing back $3.2B from suspect COVID-19 aid ..."

And that stings the average tax payer. It was like signing up for a hotmail account it was so easy and that echos across our social welfare programs and housing.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 1 2024 11:47am
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 1 2024 11:53am
At least Biden had the IRS change the brackets to match his superinflation this time around.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 1 2024 11:58am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Feb 1 2024 11:40am)

There is no such thing as a "staunch libertarian" on the right. Right libertarianism is a contradiction which is why their politics always boils down to "things I like aren't aggression and things I don't like are aggression". If they were honest they'd just admit they are Republicans.

The inability to do 2 step problems is the commonality that keeps them from realizing they are Republican and from realizing their policies would result in famine and starvation the likes of which the world has never seen.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 1 2024 12:00pm
Gold: 4,502.73
Feb 1 2024 02:36pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 1 2024 09:45am)
Actually if you make close to the median income in the country , Ontario and BC and all three territories are cheaper from a provincial tax perspective, you do save on GST/HST.

At 50K for instance you're looking at around 15.91% average tax rate in berta while BC you're looking at 14.14, Ont. 14.09, etc.

Alberta only starts to be come cheaper from a income tax level once you start surpassing the 150K annual taxable income mark.

Really its housing in Alberta that is attractive. You can live close to Calgary, just outside Edmonton, hell even in Edmonton for sub 50% of what it would cost to live in the GTA, Vancouver, etc.

The same Alberta property in Rocky Mountain View would cost 30% more on the BC side if not more since the typical Alberta properties down in that area are multi-acre properties. Granted you're that much closer to a ski-hill and that type of mountain lifestyle on the BC side vs driving an extra 40mins to an hour.

I tell most young individuals who still want to live by a city to get out of the GTA and try Edmonton or Calgary where you can easily afford a starter home.

true, it also helps that almost every profession out here makes more in berta than elsewhere, at least starting.
or you can go and work some manual labour and net 150k a year without even trying.

and not to also mention, connections out here make drastically better out comes, you can fall into positions out here so easy just by making good connections and networking.

Gold: 445.97
Feb 1 2024 03:13pm
Quote (SwamiVivekananda @ Feb 1 2024 07:17am)
My dads worked for the Chicago Tribune newspaper for over 35+ years. On the press line with a hardhat and ear plugs. He literally used ONE sick day in all that time.

In all that time he was never given an HONEST wage bump and never bitched ONCE. He joined the Tribune in the 80's before I was born(I'm 34).

When the Tribune got bought out they started laying off massive amounts of people and after 30 years doing the same shift(3:30am-1:30pm) they tossed him to the nightshift and it totally has AGED my dad 10 years. Treated my dad like shit.

My dads been dealing with depression because he knows his pension is in jeopardy and the company is doing anything to try and find an excuse to fire him or give him a severance package.

My mom is telling my dad he needs to get a new job after he technically retires soon.

That is the definition of wage slavery and mental slavery. My dad would tell you that bud.

In the 1950's post WW2 every person basically made the same wage(except doctors/lawyers) and they were able to raise a family of 5+ have a house and only 1 person had to work full time. The value of the dollar since then cratered.

I worked blue collar jobs too bud. In fact from the age of 14-25 me and a friend managed to build a relatively large lawn maintenance business which we later ended up selling to a larger landscaping company.

We worked 8 months out of the year and easily 60-80 hours a week cutting grass only. We didn't pay a DIME in taxes. Got paid cash/check only and would always put less then 10k into the bank at once. Uncle Sam didn't know a thing. I was able to buy a car/condo outright and pay for my associates degree(which I never used) and then join a philosophical organization and traveled around the world from temple to temple and got to see and experience some amazing things.

Because I never paid taxes I was basically able to retire(stop working for going on 7-8 years now) because Uncle Sam didn't get 50% of my money he got ZERO. Now this year I'm restarting a lawn maintenance business with my godson(he's 10) and I will repeat the same process because it will be years before we have even 100$ clients and the amount of money will be minimal and go right under Uncle Sam and the IRS's nose.

The only reason I made the slavery comparison was because a friend of mine(African American) was joking how he'd rather be on the cotton field again because at least they'd pay for his housing/food/water/etc. and basically his standard of living would be better because he wouldn't be mentally stressed out of his mind. He works for Target corporate and makes 150k a year. Says he's a slave to the system all the time. Got an uncle whose a pipefitter in the union and he makes 250k. Calls himself a slave too.

Sorry if I hit a string buddy. My dad probably won't live to see his pension because they worked him like a dog for 35+ years. That bothers me bud.

edit: Almost every man I know who worked a blue collar job for that amount of time basically died right after they retired. Most didn't make it to the age of 65 or whatever age it is to start collecting social security.

Here the same story a few times a year. So and So a blue collar millionaire DEAD before he could even enjoy the wealth that took him a life time to save for.

edit2: Why would anyone fucking think that somehow our generations are going to be better off? The baby boomers were the last generation to have some opportunity to own their own home and so many other things.

not a string man, just logic. it's a comparison that undermines what happened during slavery when the comparison falls flat. your dad wasn't forced to work somewhere for 35 years, respectfully.

also, back then pensions were insanely good relative to now. nowadays the private sector doesn't even get them (or extremely rare), and the gov ones are gimped af vs what they used to be. a pension or lack of one has no basis in making a comparison to working at amazon as "slave labor"

This post was edited by ChocolateCoveredGummyBears on Feb 1 2024 03:14pm
Gold: 1.00
Feb 1 2024 03:18pm
Quote (Tear @ Feb 1 2024 01:36pm)
true, it also helps that almost every profession out here makes more in berta than elsewhere, at least starting.
or you can go and work some manual labour and net 150k a year without even trying.

and not to also mention, connections out here make drastically better out comes, you can fall into positions out here so easy just by making good connections and networking.

Calgary did and still does have a pretty high concentration of head offices making it pretty attractive for young people starting who want to grow their career

I dont see the appeal of Vancouver or Toronto over Calgary. Edmonton needs some rejuvenation. but is still way better than Toronto in my opinion. I think it will happen, but ultimately it might happen in a way that some Albertan's wont like. You look Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, those cities real estate exploded again because of immigration. Lax immigration in Sask and Manitoba since they both have fast track programs.

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing a lot of immigrants buying real estate in Edmonton because its cheap. They certainly have in Calgary in the past two years.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 1 2024 03:18pm
Gold: 3,298.00
Feb 1 2024 05:02pm
Quote (ChocolateCoveredGummyBears @ 1 Feb 2024 15:13)
not a string man, just logic. it's a comparison that undermines what happened during slavery when the comparison falls flat. your dad wasn't forced to work somewhere for 35 years, respectfully.

also, back then pensions were insanely good relative to now. nowadays the private sector doesn't even get them (or extremely rare), and the gov ones are gimped af vs what they used to be. a pension or lack of one has no basis in making a comparison to working at amazon as "slave labor"

Tell that to the average Amazon worker who’s pissing in water bottles and overworked. Every person I know who worked for Amazon quit within less than a year. The people who put up with that level of wage abuse have families just like my dad so they couldn’t quit if they wanted to. Unless they want their family to live in poverty.

Isn’t it ironic that people literally think African Americans were the ONE and ONLY people to be enslaved? Every ethnic group has been in some sort of slavery or serfdom. This has been bashed into everyone’s subconscious. The idea that things that happened 300 years ago still have relevance today is pathetic.

Everyone can admit we’re being screwed by our own government and people just put up with it and say, “That’s just the way it is”. Everyone’s mentality regarding this is piss poor. Most the people who comment in this sub forum actually think politicians can help them or society itself. They can’t.

We live on a finite planet with finite resources and previous generations were sold the idea of “infinite growth” which is literally not statistically possible. Planets population skyrocketing as our planet is losing its ability to sustain life. Compared to 20 years ago I can remember when insect life was flourishing. Plants and trees were healthy and the soil wasn’t filled with toxic chemicals. I could walk in a forest preserve and life was teeming now fast forward and I can walk in the same forest preserve and there’s a deafening silence. A silence that should shake people to their core. But like I said people actually believe some savant genius is going to fix the entire biosphere when we’ve already done irreversible damage. I’m not even a tree hugger or “environmentalist”. You can feel the death and misery if you truly love this existence. Human beings have destroyed this planet in the geologic blink of an eye. It’s only fitting that now that we’re over the guard rail and there’s no turning back we are going to hit the bottom of the canyon and all of humanity is ill prepared for what we are about to face. Biblical revelation doesn’t come close to the hell we will likely endure.

Wasn’t trying to argue with you bud but the idea that things are going to get better is the most delusional thinking you can have right now. Lying to yourself doesn’t change the state of the planet. Pretending things are “ok” isn’t good preparation for the future.

Every part of life cost probably 10x what it did in previous decades. You could pay people double their wage and shits still going to get worse. What kind of standard of living is in front of us? Smart cities and most the population on Universal Basic Income and some basic healthcare.

Going green was the greatest scam ever sold on a society that was built on fossil fuels and cheap oil. Don’t ever think the government will be forthcoming when shit hits the fan.

I now have to read Chinese news because they are more honest about the state of the planet then all of western media combined.

Climate lockdowns probably around the corner. Every month is a new “all time high temperature”. Droughts and flooding. Now normal. People can’t admit to themselves the party is over. Especially 1st world people who’ve spent the last decades living the “dream” while the rest of the planet wallows in filth.
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 1 2024 05:57pm
Quote (Bazi @ Feb 1 2024 09:15am)
What you mean sir

A baby.
Gold: 4,946.71
Feb 1 2024 06:46pm
Quote (Santara @ Feb 1 2024 05:57pm)
A baby.

Oh over my head.

Yeah, two beautiful baby girls now.

Well I have a 2 year old going on 16