d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > A/v Receiver For 5.1 Speaker Setup > Why Do You Even Need One If...?
Prev1111213
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 87.00
May 17 2017 02:03pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ 17 May 2017 20:18)
the subwoofer is an active subwoofer. so i would assume its max volume is not dependent upon the receiver? because the subwoofer gets its own power/juice from itself. the receiver should just tell it when to play?

yea ive played around with the few options available on the receiver itself and the remote. but i think i just figured out that i have to plug the receiver into my TV with an hdmi cord to actually view the real settings to change things.... well i think thats weird but i guess its whatever since i payed $100 bucks for it, but still thats a bit sad lol. i only have the optical audio cable hooked up now because thats all i thought i would need... so ill just a 6 ft hdmi soon and check out the other settings.

the subwoofer does play, but i dont like that its not too responsive. like it doesnt play that often. only in extremely low bass scenes.

i was playing some test tones, and the subwoofer really only plays when its 40 to 60 hz. just within that 20 hz range. and i adjusted the crossover on the subwoofer to see how it changed it and thats the widest range i could get.

its frequency response is supposed to be : 25-140 Hz. i am aware certain boxes are tuned for specific frequencies, but this subwoofer as is, is not able to reproduce anything well out of the range of 40 to 60hz

You should set your sub crossover to bypass / max setting. From receiver set your speakers to 80hz or what ever sounds best to you and lfe output to 120hz. These settings should fix the problem.
Gold: 8,221.76
May 17 2017 04:21pm
Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 17 2017 04:03pm)
You should set your sub crossover to bypass / max setting. From receiver set your speakers to 80hz or what ever sounds best to you and lfe output to 120hz. These settings should fix the problem.

ok thanks. i finally figured out how to change the settings on the receiver... it has to be hooked up the the tv with the hdmi cord. i was only using the optical audio just for sound, but couldnt change many settings

so the speakers are default set to 120 hz. i will change those to see what works but can start at around 80 hz, thanks for the suggestion.

but i saw a subwoofer gain control in the settings. i changed it to max! + 10 db. I am wondering if theres any harm in setting the subwoofer to max in the receiver side. and then just changing the physical gain knob on the actual subwoofer as needed? its easier for me to just walk to the receiver and turn the knob. just wondering if this may affect the quality or something, but i think it should be fine?

The subwoofer gain option in the receiver helped alot and now it sounds much better. i guess there are still some instances where the subwoofer does not play much bass, but for the most part it has improved greatly now. its just that some times its a very low rumble when i would prefer those low points to be louder, and then there are some nice booms that do work well with what i am watching.

This post was edited by noob_whacker on May 17 2017 04:23pm
Gold: 87.00
May 17 2017 10:19pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ 18 May 2017 00:21)
ok thanks. i finally figured out how to change the settings on the receiver... it has to be hooked up the the tv with the hdmi cord. i was only using the optical audio just for sound, but couldnt change many settings

so the speakers are default set to 120 hz. i will change those to see what works but can start at around 80 hz, thanks for the suggestion.

but i saw a subwoofer gain control in the settings. i changed it to max! + 10 db. I am wondering if theres any harm in setting the subwoofer to max in the receiver side. and then just changing the physical gain knob on the actual subwoofer as needed? its easier for me to just walk to the receiver and turn the knob. just wondering if this may affect the quality or something, but i think it should be fine?

The subwoofer gain option in the receiver helped alot and now it sounds much better. i guess there are still some instances where the subwoofer does not play much bass, but for the most part it has improved greatly now. its just that some times its a very low rumble when i would prefer those low points to be louder, and then there are some nice booms that do work well with what i am watching.

One thing you may face is room null reflections, doing a subwoofer crawl should help you with these if you are free with placement. It is best to use sub gain first and then do the last adjustment with receiver gain.
Gold: 8,221.76
May 18 2017 04:28am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 18 2017 12:19am)
One thing you may face is room null reflections, doing a subwoofer crawl should help you with these if you are free with placement. It is best to use sub gain first and then do the last adjustment with receiver gain.

ok thanks for the idea. the port is underneath it, so ill have to place it on its side on my bed i guess. so the port isnt covered.

seems like legit logic to place the subwoofer where u sit and then move urself around the room at a lower position where the sub sits. too bad i have hardwood floor, my poor knees lol
Gold: 145.06
May 20 2017 07:01am
no picture this thread sux
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev1111213
Add Reply New Topic New Poll