d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MOBA > League of Legends > Good Interview With Faker On His Future
Prev1234
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Topic New Poll
Gold: 95.09
May 25 2018 07:05am
Id agree with faker to not let his kids go into progaming
Obv hes speaking from experience (prob high chance of burnout, no guarantee of results at the end, high stress environment both in and out of game, etc)
And opportunity cost is too high - progaming is already hypercompetitive but is still getting harder, so chances of going "all in" and receiving little to nothing is even higher than before when you could have been doing something else (steadily working towards stable career and enjoying life with friends/family rather than dedicating 10+ hours a day playing games that has a very high chance of leading to nowhere / living in solitude / missing some of the best years of your life) not talking about being the best 1 in a million players we're talking about being the top 1 out of 10+ million or more players
Also progamers life is literally dependent on that game to build their career - if the game goes, gg career and forced to restart on a new game and doesnt mean theyll be good enough at it either
and dont even get started on the topic of winning against top korean teams if youre from any region other than korea/china

This post was edited by Guo on May 25 2018 07:14am
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
May 25 2018 07:27am
The amount of pressure for him to perform each and every game would be astronomical. It was only a certain amount of time before he cracked
Gold: 3.31
May 25 2018 08:33am
Quote (MrDuDu @ May 25 2018 07:19am)
Yeah I'm sure he meant he's not going to steer his kids down that path. If they have the talent and the desire, I'm sure he wouldn't say no. It's just funny the way they translated it.

I was also a multi-sport athlete growing up and had the opportunity to play college ball (just a D3 school) and turned it down to go to a bigger school and was glad I did. I understand where you're coming from but I don't regret playing sports by any means and it's also a lot different because neither of us clearly had pro potential. If your kid is naturally gifted, it would be silly to tell them no with the potential $$ involved in it.

But its hard to compare sports to progaming
Youre exercising and some schools really like the fact that you did well in school and played sports competitively while gaming is sitting down in a room 24/7... and if you think schools look highly at a kid who spent all his free time playing videogames compared to joining clubs, volunteer, sports, etc then you have to be sucked into the esports propaganda hard.

When faker joined he prob didnt have this much competition around him. The level of committment and competition was prob not this tough. Ive been a casual fan of csgo for a while and you always see this one youngster come in and replace the older guy (the older guy just 2years ago considered the best).
Its sports its easy to know your potential due to physical attributes like height, speed, power, etc but with gaming it all comes down to reaction time?
Atleast in basketball you can tell whether you wanna continue to pursue it or not, i played freshman basketball and a few county leagues for fun but being 5'8 and hoping youd make JV or varsity when you have teammates who are dunking and a 6'4 pointguard... hmmm. Well guess ill just /ff and move on with my life
With esports dreams do you ever stop?

I actually really appreciate faker being honest and calling out esports a bit in this and saying there is alot of insecurities in the scene. I absolutely hate when streamers like metaphor,tarzaned,etc ones whove never been pro but brag about how nice their life is, how easy it is for them to make $, etc. I dont care how much they make living in their parents basement but theyre telling middle school or so kids that you dont have to be the best like faker or do well in school to have a life where you play videogames for a living.
Its alot worse in csgo like jasonR, moe,etc but the entire esports scene makes progaming and twitch streaming out to be some dream job that anybody can do.
I just cant wait for some vice or e60 article on this.

Someone mentioned this earlier, in acting you never hear ppl say "ya i lived in LA doing dishes and stripclubs before i got my big break...i loved it... i wish my kids and all the little ones to follow what i did bc it was easy!"

This post was edited by PinataParty on May 25 2018 08:36am
Gold: 5,168.78
May 25 2018 12:44pm
Quote (MrDuDu @ May 25 2018 08:19am)
Yeah I'm sure he meant he's not going to steer his kids down that path. If they have the talent and the desire, I'm sure he wouldn't say no. It's just funny the way they translated it.

I was also a multi-sport athlete growing up and had the opportunity to play college ball (just a D3 school) and turned it down to go to a bigger school and was glad I did. I understand where you're coming from but I don't regret playing sports by any means and it's also a lot different because neither of us clearly had pro potential. If your kid is naturally gifted, it would be silly to tell them no with the potential $$ involved in it.

I hear ya. I loved playing but I was burnt out by the time I turned 16 and just played to play at that point. I broke my thumb when I was 14 and finally had the summer off and it was one of my favorite summers' lol
Go Back To League of Legends Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Topic New Poll