d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > The Watchmen Hbo > Tv Show
Prev14567812Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 25 2019 06:40pm
Enjoyed the first episode a lot. Found myself saying "wtf is going on" more than I have in ANY show for the past decade easily.

Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 25 2019 12:58pm)
I really hate how they turned Rorschach into a white supremacist symbol. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess fuck the actual comic and the actual character, we need to make the villains relatable to the current climate instead of being smart about it because that is easy.

Everything else was good.

I mean..... come on man. You can't see how a guy who constantly talked about homosexuals as transient filth destroying the fabric of society, could become a symbol for alt right fanatics? Rorschach was not a good person, he was fucking insane. His own ideals didn't correspond into whites being better than anyone, but we know that as people who followed the character, these fanatics can take what he did say and twist it to fit their ideals, that's how shit ALWAYS works. We're so fucking early into the show anyway, there's no guarantee they won't explain how it ended up happening, but as the character is, how he died and who he left his journal with, this is an incredibly believable outcome imo.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 25 2019 07:59pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Oct 26 2019 02:03am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 25 2019 06:40pm)
Enjoyed the first episode a lot. Found myself saying "wtf is going on" more than I have in ANY show for the past decade easily.

I mean..... come on man. You can't see how a guy who constantly talked about homosexuals as transient filth destroying the fabric of society, could become a symbol for alt right fanatics? Rorschach was not a good person, he was fucking insane. His own ideals didn't correspond into whites being better than anyone, but we know that as people who followed the character, these fanatics can take what he did say and twist it to fit their ideals, that's how shit ALWAYS works. We're so fucking early into the show anyway, there's no guarantee they won't explain how it ended up happening, but as the character is, how he died and who he left his journal with, this is an incredibly believable outcome imo.

If they explain how it happened and it's well done then I'm willing to go with it, but I have a feeling that the answer is actually "Lindelof just wanted to make a show about white supremacy".
Oct 26 2019 02:48am
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 26 2019 01:03am)
If they explain how it happened and it's well done then I'm willing to go with it, but I have a feeling that the answer is actually "Lindelof just wanted to make a show about white supremacy".

Even if they don't, you still can't see how that leap could be made? He constantly talks in absolutes and marginalizes anyone who's not a perfect upstanding member of society and has this ridiculously idealistic idea of right and wrong, while ruthlessly murdering people. I just don't think it's that big of a jump for his journal to be used in this way. Is it exactly in line with Rorschach's ideals? No, of course not, but that's how extremist shit always starts out. It's always something twisted and turned more and more vile as the years pass.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Oct 26 2019 02:49am
Gold: 83.30
Oct 26 2019 03:30am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 26 2019 10:48am)
Even if they don't, you still can't see how that leap could be made? He constantly talks in absolutes and marginalizes anyone who's not a perfect upstanding member of society and has this ridiculously idealistic idea of right and wrong, while ruthlessly murdering people. I just don't think it's that big of a jump for his journal to be used in this way. Is it exactly in line with Rorschach's ideals? No, of course not, but that's how extremist shit always starts out. It's always something twisted and turned more and more vile as the years pass.

Don't forget the rampant sexism (Comedian's rape of Silk Spectre was a 'lapse of judgement from a patriot'). Rorscach is a terrible person and horrible friend, but because the movie turned him into a 'badass' he's admired by many. The comic Rorschach (I think the series is taking more from the comics than the movie) is way more despicable and deserving of pity.

I'd also like to note that it's interesting how people see the autocratic police force that can torture and kill without much notice as a protagonist here. The ongoing themes in Watchmen very much go into the grey areas of morality, which I expect we'll see here too. The 7th Kavalry will have some truth behind it (The Rorschach diary), just like the police dept has some big big skeletons in its closet.

Oct 26 2019 03:46am
Quote (balrog66 @ Oct 26 2019 02:30am)
Don't forget the rampant sexism (Comedian's rape of Silk Spectre was a 'lapse of judgement from a patriot'). Rorscach is a terrible person and horrible friend, but because the movie turned him into a 'badass' he's admired by many. The comic Rorschach (I think the series is taking more from the comics than the movie) is way more despicable and deserving of pity.

I'd also like to note that it's interesting how people see the autocratic police force that can torture and kill without much notice as a protagonist here. The ongoing themes in Watchmen very much go into the grey areas of morality, which I expect we'll see here too. The 7th Kavalry will have some truth behind it (The Rorschach diary), just like the police dept has some big big skeletons in its closet.

Well said. All I know, I'm excited as hell to watch it unfold.
Oct 26 2019 03:50am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 26 2019 02:48am)

Eh I am not as convinced. Turning Rorschachs ramblings into a white supremacist movement would require a lot of picking and choosing specific things. There would be better options of a figure head if that was your end goal. Hell the comedian would have been significantly better, but that would have required more thought to enact and you couldn't have characters spout Rorschachs nonsense for the fans to cream over.

Edit: fixing auto correct fuck ups

This post was edited by Blah58 on Oct 26 2019 03:51am
Oct 26 2019 03:51am
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 26 2019 02:50am)
Eh I am not as convinced. Turning Rorschachs ramblings into a white supremacist movement would require a lot of picking and choosing specific things. There would be better options of a figure head of that was your end goal. Hell the comedian would have been sufficiently better, but that would have required more thought to enact and you couldn't have characters spout Rorschachs nonsense for the fans to cream over.

Would be kind of hard to use the Comedian, seeing as no one knew anything about him lol. I think you're forgetting how detestable some of the shit he said was in his journal and ofc zealots pick and choose, how the fuck do you think we get people killing each other for thousands of years over a guy who said to love everyone?
Oct 26 2019 03:55am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 26 2019 03:51am)
Would be kind of hard to use the Comedian, seeing as no one knew anything about him lol. I think you're forgetting how detestable some of the shit he said was in his journal and ofc zealots pick and choose, how the fuck do you think we get people killing each other for thousands of years over a guy who said to love everyone?

All of the original Watchmen were well known. The comedian was known as a giant patriarchal figure in his hay day. Plus from how the comic is written, it seems like some of his darker moments were written about in the journals. He honestly would have been a better folk hero to choose for white supremacists to rally behind. But like someone else mentioned Rorschach has the fan base, the draw to the show, even if they butchered his character to do it.
Oct 26 2019 04:13am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 25 2019 06:40pm)
You can't see how a guy who constantly talked about homosexuals as transient filth destroying the fabric of society

Just caught this. That is definitely not a thing that ever happened.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev14567812Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll