d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Newbe With Politics
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 8 2018 06:55am
Where to start reading reliable news? I d like to get more educated in this area. I've stopped reading newspaper after Trump's election. I have literally no idea whats going on right now

This post was edited by cheers_appentwickler on Apr 8 2018 06:57am
Gold: 285.00
Apr 8 2018 07:00am
You have to keep your eyes open to a lot of different sources and do your best to be aware of their own biases. A lot of news is somewhat ideological but if you know the lens or the filter it is being presented through you can usually get some good information no matter what you're watching.

Certain stations have heavy biases and have been known to edit dishonestly to make a story more sensational. Like when Fox News had superimposed fake crowds on Glenn Beck's rally in Washington. But even then there was a rally in Washington Glenn Beck was there and people showed up so there is a kernel of Truth. Just know that they are there to get ratings in order to sell ad space to increase value for their shareholders and they have no moral obligation to do anything else. As is the capitalist ethic.

I think Donald Trump is the first postmodern president for actively using the theory of hyper-reality in his campaign.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 8 2018 07:02am
Gold: 17,384.69
Apr 8 2018 07:05am
nice multi
Apr 8 2018 07:06am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 8 2018 03:00pm)
You have to keep your eyes open to a lot of different sources and do your best to be aware of their own biases. A lot of news is somewhat ideological but if you know the lens or the filter it is being presented through you can usually get some good information no matter what you're watching.

Certain stations have heavy biases and have been even then to edit dishonestly to make a story more sensational. Like when Fox News had superimposed fake crowds on Glenn Beck's rally in Washington. But even then there was a rally in Washington Glenn Beck was there and people showed up so there is a kernel of Truth. Just know that they are there to get ratings in order to sell ad space to increase value for their shareholders and they have no moral obligation to do anything else. As is the capitalist ethic.

I think Donald Trump is the first postmodern president for actively using the theory of hyper-reality in his campaign.

I have nothing against Donald Trump. I have nothing against anyone right now. How is the philosophical word for this, when somebody has an unwritten soul? I love that word, but i cant remember it. I actually start from the start and i do want to form an unbiased opinion.

This post was edited by cheers_appentwickler on Apr 8 2018 07:10am
Apr 8 2018 07:09am
Quote (cheers_appentwickler @ Apr 8 2018 08:06am)
I have nothing against Donald Trump. I have nothing against anyone right now. How is the philosophical word for this, when somebody has an unwritten soul? I love that word, but i cant remember it. I actually start from the start and do want to form a unbiased opinion.

Apolitical is if you are uninvolved with it.

Apathetic is if you don't care.

I think something like unbiased is what you're looking for. I think we all have biases though, and in order to be able to check them at the door you have to know what they are.

Uncommitted.

Opposite of ideological. So Pragmatic fits maybe?

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 8 2018 07:09am
Apr 8 2018 07:14am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 8 2018 03:09pm)
Apolitical is if you are uninvolved with it.

Apathetic is if you don't care.

I think something like unbiased is what you're looking for. I think we all have biases though, and in order to be able to check them at the door you have to know what they are.

Uncommitted.

Opposite of ideological. So Pragmatic fits maybe?

Nah, it was called something else. A rly nice word, that explain itself a lot whats going wrong nowadays. I wished we would have here a user with a philosphical background. ANyway! Thanks.

Do you have newsource that you trust a lot?
Apr 8 2018 07:16am
Quote (cheers_appentwickler @ Apr 8 2018 08:14am)
Nah, it was called something else. A rly nice word, that explain itself a lot whats going wrong nowadays. I wished we would have here a user with a philosphical background. ANyway! Thanks.

Do you have newsource that you trust a lot?

Infowars and Brietbart.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 8 2018 07:18am
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 8 2018 08:48am
Reuters, New York Times, Washington Post, The Atlantic, and The Hill. I tend to follow certain journalists who regularly have scoops on the White House, like Maggie Haberman(NYT) and Robert Costa(WaPo). I also like to follow guys like Ben Shapiro, who provide a conservative perspective but aren't shoved up Trump's ass. You can read Breitbart/Infowars to get the Trump cult perspective.

For politically related podcasts, I like Stay Tuned with Preet, The Axe Files, and Pod Save the World(foreign policy).

Quote (Happypuppy @ Apr 8 2018 09:56am)
pard (this subforum) is actually a good place to read about news because ppl post all the major news headlines here and you can read from all sorts of viewpoints in the threads

Agreed.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 8 2018 08:56am
Gold: 1,495.80
Apr 8 2018 08:56am
pard (this subforum) is actually a good place to read about news because ppl post all the major news headlines here and you can read from all sorts of viewpoints in the threads

id stay away from news site and just stick to this subforum
Apr 8 2018 10:09am
Most mainstream news sites will tell you have President Trump is doing a terrible job...so far about 2 years in counting of just random slander and opinionated pieces
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll