d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Newbe With Politics
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 8 2018 10:14am
Quote (cheers_appentwickler @ Apr 8 2018 08:55am)
Where to start reading reliable news? I d like to get more educated in this area. I've stopped reading newspaper after Trump's election. I have literally no idea whats going on right now

News is hard because each site has two qualities: quality of information & type of interpretation
Quality of information - sites can be factually accurate or inaccurate (leaving out important data)
Type of interpretation - (left bias, middle, or right bias)

Right wing news -
dailywire.com
thefederalist.com
breitbart.com (sometimes inaccurate)

Moderate news -
realclearpolitics.com
thehill.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJdKr0Bgd_5saZYqLCa9mng

Left wing news -
NPR
WashingtonPost
ABC
MSNBC
NYT
NBC
CNN (mostly accurate but often leave out important data to skew a narrative)
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 8 2018 10:54am
Quote (Plaquelord @ Apr 8 2018 11:09am)
Most mainstream news sites will tell you have President Trump is doing a terrible job...so far about 2 years in counting of just random slander and opinionated pieces

Fact-based news does have a blatant bias, which is they report like the world didn't begin the day Trump got elected. They point out certain norms, whether it be the way presidents have acted in the past, the number of high profile staff fired in past administrations, the way past presidents have conducted foreign policy, etc.

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-sick-and-tired-of-mainstream-media-always-trying-1819579075
Headline: Trump Sick And Tired Of Mainstream Media Always Trying To Put His Words Into Some Sort Of Context

Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 8 2018 11:14am)
News is hard because each site has two qualities: quality of information & type of interpretation
Quality of information - sites can be factually accurate or inaccurate (leaving out important data)
Type of interpretation - (left bias, middle, or right bias)

Right wing news -
dailywire.com
thefederalist.com
breitbart.com (sometimes inaccurate)

Moderate news -
realclearpolitics.com
thehill.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJdKr0Bgd_5saZYqLCa9mng

Left wing news -
NPR
WashingtonPost
ABC
MSNBC
NYT
NBC
CNN (mostly accurate but often leave out important data to skew a narrative)

You're conflating opinion sites with hard news. Inconvenient facts aren't left-wing.

Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 8 2018 11:13am
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 8 2018 12:54pm)
Fact-based news does have a blatant bias, which is they report like the world didn't begin the day Trump got elected. They point out certain norms, whether it be the way presidents have acted in the past, the number of high profile staff fired in past administrations, the way past presidents have conducted foreign policy, etc.

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-sick-and-tired-of-mainstream-media-always-trying-1819579075
Headline: Trump Sick And Tired Of Mainstream Media Always Trying To Put His Words Into Some Sort Of Context

You're conflating opinion sites with hard news. Inconvenient facts aren't left-wing.

'news' orgs with a consistent and strong left wing bias are left wing
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 8 2018 11:19am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 8 2018 12:13pm)

That's true, but like I said, inconvenient facts aren't left-wing. When CNN accurately reports that the tax cut legislation is going to create larger deficits, or they report that the staff turnover for the White House is high, those are not left wing viewpoints. They are facts.

When WaPo/NYT report on White House turmoil, it's not a left wing viewpoint, it's an inconvenient fact for the administration and Trump cultists. That's why Trump likes Fox News, because they ignore the factual stories which damage the administration, while all the legitimate outlets that Endless named as "left wing" actually report the news.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 8 2018 11:27am
Gold: 285.00
Apr 8 2018 11:19am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 8 2018 12:13pm)

News products like sections in a book store.
Apr 8 2018 11:43am
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 8 2018 12:54pm)

Gold: 260.11
Apr 8 2018 12:14pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 8 2018 11:19am)
That's true, but like I said, inconvenient facts aren't left-wing. When CNN accurately reports that the tax cut legislation is going to create larger deficits, or they report that the staff turnover for the White House is high, those are not left wing viewpoints. They are facts.

When WaPo/NYT report on White House turmoil, it's not a left wing viewpoint, it's an inconvenient fact for the administration and Trump cultists. That's why Trump likes Fox News, because they ignore the factual stories which damage the administration, while all the legitimate outlets that Endless named as "left wing" actually report the news.

Any time I see one of these lists and they put NPR as anything more than slightly left-wing you can safely dismiss the rest of the list.

NPR is obviously somewhat liberal in that they report facts which favors liberalism, but they're not biased towards the left. They're about as fair as you can get.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Apr 8 2018 12:15pm
Apr 8 2018 12:30pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 8 2018 02:14pm)
Any time I see one of these lists and they put NPR as anything more than slightly left-wing you can safely dismiss the rest of the list.

NPR is obviously somewhat liberal in that they report facts which favors liberalism, but they're not biased towards the left. They're about as fair as you can get.

No one working at NPR voted for Trump.
Gold: 3.33
Apr 8 2018 12:47pm
These are my picks for best news providers: BBC, The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Spectator, The Independent, The Economist

Some are left leaning and some are right leaning but the standard of reporting is top notch with the exception of some opinion articles (mainly on the Guardian).
Gold: 9,106.00
Apr 8 2018 12:57pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 8 2018 10:19am)

CNN "accurately" reporting on the tax cuts (even though the deficit is one side of the coin conveniently ignoring the benefits side of the coin which is the savings and economic growth caused by those same tax cuts) is dishonest. When i call CNN garbage it's not because i think they run actual fake stories about the president or whatever. They are garbage because of the time dedicated running non-news masqueraded as "news" for political capital. There's a lot of things going on in this world both internationally and in the US that is considered news worthy that's simply ignored by garbage platforms like CNN. Instead they choose to talk about TMZ level garbage like Stormy Daniels, how terrible Trump is no matter what he does, Russia bad, etc. It's such stale garbage and so easily to spot for any critical thinker that they aren't interested in reporting but in molding people's perspectives.

Example, CNN front page today: https://www.cnn.com/ ... same old Trump bad, Russia bad, recycled, stale garbage. You could frequent this platform everyday and you'd think that outside of "news" pertaining to Trump or Russia's connection to Trump there's nothing else going on in this world. Absolute trash of a platform.

Now compare that to the WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/

For people interested in something resembling actual reporting i suggest reading Reuters, WSJ, DW, even BBC although biased is head and shoulders above most American platforms.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Apr 8 2018 01:09pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll