d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration Crackdown
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,189.49
May 18 2018 06:36am
Ending or limiting (exact details not yet announced) the use of administrative closure by judges, in which they could set illegal aliens free indefinitely by refusing to ever schedule hearings on deportations, keeping them in legal limbo while out free. Its estimated that 200,000 administrative closures have been kept open by judges in the past 5 years, meaning the judges would be forced to schedule hearings for these cases and start issuing rulings.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/17/612200263/sessions-moves-to-curb-immigration-judges-authority

Sessions today ordered the end of Administrative Closures.

"Immigration judges and the Board have come to rely upon administrative closure without thoroughly explaining their authority to do so. Unlike the power to grant continuances, which the regulations expressly confer, immigration judges and the Board lack a general authority to grant administrative closure. No Attorney General has delegated such broad authority, and legal or policy arguments do not justify it. I therefore hold that immigration judges and the Board lack this authority except where a previous regulation or settlement agreement has expressly conferred it."

In his order, Sessions acknowledged that reactivating cases that are currently administratively closed "would likely overwhelm the immigration courts and undercut the administration of immigration laws." So he ordered all administratively closed cases to "remain closed unless DHS (Department of Homeland Security) or the respondent requests recalendaring."
Gold: 2,617.52
May 18 2018 07:14am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 1 2018 03:28pm)
He will still underperform in this department compared to Obama.

Cant deport as many mexicans if they are scared to death of the orange cheeto and dont try to cross
Gold: 2,620.00
May 26 2018 08:19pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 2 Apr 2018 10:17)
obama deported more than trump because the would-be illegal immigrants stopped trying since trump took office. ^_^

Obama deported more illegal immigrants than Bush because the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement changed the way they define deportations. It changed sometime late in the W. Bush administration. The vast majority of people who get caught attempting to cross the border are now fingerprinted and formally deported. Before, those people were not counted as deportations.

Regardless, it's still hilarious to me that the #1 public policy proposal of the winning presidential campaign can be debunked by one graph:

Who would win? The entire basis of the President's number one public policy goal or one graphy boi?

Racism is a hell of a drug.
Gold: 10,655.00
May 27 2018 04:39am
Quote (ThatAlex @ May 26 2018 10:19pm)
Obama deported more illegal immigrants than Bush because the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement changed the way they define deportations. It changed sometime late in the W. Bush administration. The vast majority of people who get caught attempting to cross the border are now fingerprinted and formally deported. Before, those people were not counted as deportations.

Regardless, it's still hilarious to me that the #1 public policy proposal of the winning presidential campaign can be debunked by one graph:

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2017/04/25101222/FT_17.04.17_unauthorized_update_2015-1.png

Who would win? The entire basis of the President's number one public policy goal or one graphy boi?

Wow! You read graphs differently than I do.

I see that when Obama took office the deportations dropped alarmingly. Now that Trump has taken office they are starting to rise again.
If we're really lucky we will get to see a graph that goes to 2018, and a graph that includes, the immigrants that have been stopped before entering the country. You know, like a graph that truly represents what Trump has been accomplishing.
Gold: 9.87
May 28 2018 04:40pm
Obama just put them on the treadmill to come back in. Who cares if he deported more if the border isn’t secure. It’s just wasted money and effort.

This post was edited by timmayX on May 28 2018 04:40pm
Gold: 1.69
May 28 2018 05:04pm
Quote (fender @ 2 Apr 2018 11:08)
that's a cute little strawman you have there, i just hope you didn't invest too much into it since it's rather flimsy...
not a single person here advocated for a "just let anyone in" immigration stance. as a matter of fact, the democrat obama was significantly stronger on the border itself than president spanky.

bitching about 'hatred' while making a 100% ad hominem post. i bet the irony of that is completely lost on you...

unlike your post, mine contains several topic related points (like pointing out the ridiculousness of your simplistic either 'pro' or 'anti' immigration attitude; making you people aware of the difference and the current shift in ICE focus...).

that's why i specifically phrased it "OTHERWISE non-criminal" - because ppl like you tend to resort to this idiotic talking point when they are out of real arguments. yet you still went there immediately - propaganda really is a powerful tool on the intellectually less fortunate...

Did you graduate highschool?
Gold: 4,400.67
May 28 2018 10:10pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ 27 May 2018 04:19)

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2017/04/25101222/FT_17.04.17_unauthorized_update_2015-1.png

those are just estimates, which in the case of illegal/undocumented people are naturally more uncertain than usual.

and lets not forget that obama increased the influx of legal immigration as well. lets also not forget that the children of the huge waves of latino immigrants from the 80s and 90s have US citizenship and are now beginning to enter the voting age population.
lets also not forget that the immigration levels from latin america and from mexico in particular have stagnated beginning in 2008 "thanks" to the financial crisis, not due to obama.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on May 28 2018 10:10pm
Gold: 2,617.52
May 28 2018 10:11pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ May 26 2018 10:19pm)

That graph is bullshit

Its based on the Census which doesnt properly measure any of what its supposed to
Gold: 2,620.00
May 31 2018 06:24pm
Quote (Ghot @ 27 May 2018 05:39)
Wow! You read graphs differently than I do.

I see that when Obama took office the deportations dropped alarmingly. Now that Trump has taken office they are starting to rise again.
If we're really lucky we will get to see a graph that goes to 2018, and a graph that includes, the immigrants that have been stopped before entering the country. You know, like a graph that truly represents what Trump has been accomplishing.

The graph shows a 90% confidence interval of the estimated number of illegal immigrants in the United States, not the number of deportations.

Quote (EndlessSky @ 28 May 2018 23:11)
That graph is bullshit

Its based on the Census which doesnt properly measure any of what its supposed to

How many illegal immigrants do you think are in the United States?
Gold: 2,489.69
May 31 2018 06:29pm
[Posts Source showing immigration leveled off, clearly showing a trend] - Alex

"Wahhh those numbers might not be accurate because of collection" [missed trend] - The woosh tang clan.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll