d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration, Etc... > And Illegal Immigrants
Prev1343536373877Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 16 2018 07:41pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 16 2018 09:39pm)
Reported for spam.

LMAO. You spam and then report me for it.
Gold: 2,420.00
Jun 16 2018 07:50pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 16 2018 08:41pm)
LMAO. You spam and then report me for it.

Reported for spam
Gold: 107.77
Jun 16 2018 08:02pm
goshdarn spammers

Gold: 0.00
Jun 16 2018 10:19pm
Quote (MSX98 @ Jun 16 2018 09:02pm)

also said marriage is between a man and women...people change views a few thousand times to please voters i guess
Gold: 22,189.49
Jun 17 2018 12:37am
so anyway
its become very apparently in the past few days that the DNC and cooperative media have seized upon 'immigrant children' to be their #1 issue going into the 2018 elections, at least so far
I haven't heard a thing about Obamacare, they're consciously avoiding impeachment talk, avoiding talking about the economy thanks to trump's success, avoiding foreign policy thanks to trump's successes again
they tried a feeble messaging of "drain the swamp" to emulate trump as some kind of halfbaked message that they dropped almost immediately, I guess their plan was to try to convert Mueller into their #1 issue, but it didn't resonate

so maybe they'll come up with something new, but they've absolutely seized on immigration with a zealous fury.
maybe I'm misjudging the public opinion but I don't see how they're supposed to translate into votes something that's so easily perceived as 'supporting illegal immigration', does not have any significant coherent policy ideas and is muddled into oblivion due to Obama doing all the same stuff. Half the messaging is "trump is hitler putting kids into concentration camps' and half the messaging is 'oops those pictures are actually from under obama, obama did it too'
Gold: 3,001.34
Warn: 10%
Jun 17 2018 12:52am
Quote (MSX98 @ 16 Jun 2018 19:02)

Goshdarn immigrants spamming
Gold: 1.93
Jun 17 2018 02:01am
Quote (Plaquelord @ Jun 17 2018 03:19pm)
also said marriage is between a man and women...people change views a few thousand times to please voters i guess

Quote (MSX98 @ Jun 17 2018 01:02pm)

Were you even born yet in 1993?

This post was edited by Plaguefear on Jun 17 2018 02:03am
Gold: 2,420.00
Jun 17 2018 02:33am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jun 17 2018 03:01am)
Were you even born yet in 1993?

not them but yeah
Gold: 4,400.67
Jun 17 2018 06:55am
Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Jun 2018 08:37)
so anyway
its become very apparently in the past few days that the DNC and cooperative media have seized upon 'immigrant children' to be their #1 issue going into the 2018 elections, at least so far
I haven't heard a thing about Obamacare, they're consciously avoiding impeachment talk, avoiding talking about the economy thanks to trump's success, avoiding foreign policy thanks to trump's successes again
they tried a feeble messaging of "drain the swamp" to emulate trump as some kind of halfbaked message that they dropped almost immediately, I guess their plan was to try to convert Mueller into their #1 issue, but it didn't resonate

so maybe they'll come up with something new, but they've absolutely seized on immigration with a zealous fury.
maybe I'm misjudging the public opinion but I don't see how they're supposed to translate into votes something that's so easily perceived as 'supporting illegal immigration', does not have any significant coherent policy ideas and is muddled into oblivion due to Obama doing all the same stuff. Half the messaging is "trump is hitler putting kids into concentration camps' and half the messaging is 'oops those pictures are actually from under obama, obama did it too'

I agree, I really dont think this is a winning topic for the democrats. 30-40% of the population have wanted a harder stance on illegal immigration for a long time until Trump came along, it was one of the reasons why Trump won the GOP primaries.

The way for the Democrats to win the midterms is to find a poster issue that pushes turnout of their base, but doesnt energize the GOP base. Asymmetric mobilization/polarization is what they need. But the immigration issue is equally polarizing to both sides of the aisle.

Moreover, trying to pull the heartstrings with pictures of crying children and mothers is so crude and cheap and easy to see-through that it wont convince the educated white suburban swing voters that the Democrats desperately need to make inroads in the House.
Gold: 2,620.00
Jun 17 2018 01:52pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Jun 2018 01:37)
so anyway

The immigration camps are the flavor of the month. We can't say for certain it's going to be their #1 issue going into the 2018 midterms. If it does become their primary issue, I think it's a bad choice for the same factors you and Black XistenZ mentioned. There's too much overlap with Obama-era immigration policies and many Americans favor tougher immigration laws, anyways.

They don't have a #1 issue yet. Their messaging is scattered and all over the place. One of the only things the party can unite behind is anti-Trump sentiment, but that strategy is also decreasing in efficacy due to the strong economy, Trump's rising approval ratings, and general Trump fatigue.

Democrats are in a tough spot. They own Obamacare, the economy is doing good, and immigration is probably not a good choice. They also are lacking party leadership. Voters are split on figures like Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, and Bernie Sanders.

One thing they have going for them is independents. Trump is very favorable with Republicans but only has a 35% approval rating with independent voters. So a center-left platform would probably serve them best, but they also have party leaders like Elizabeth Warren pulling them left.

The party doesn't know who it is or who it should be. They are still reeling from 2016 and haven't recovered.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1343536373877Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll