d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration, Etc... > And Illegal Immigrants
12377Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,655.00
Mar 7 2018 03:14am

U.S. Justice Department sues California over 'sanctuary' policies

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-justice-immigration/u-s-justice-department-sues-california-over-sanctuary-policies-idUSKCN1GJ07T

The Justice Department’s lawsuit on Tuesday against California targets three state laws. One of them, known as Assembly Bill 450, prohibits private employers in California from voluntarily cooperating with federal immigration officials.
A second law, Senate Bill 54, prevents state and local law enforcement from giving federal immigration officials information about when they intend to release an illegal immigrant from their custody.
The third law empowers the state to inspect federal immigration detention centers.

The Justice Department filing says all three laws improperly attempt to regulate federal immigration at the state level. The department also plans to seek a court order from a judge to temporarily block the state from enforcing the laws.

I'll side with the Fed on this. I don't think it's right for a State or States to thumb their nose at Federal Immigration regulation.
Gold: 4,383.11
Mar 7 2018 05:49am
about time this madness stops, whats the purpose of a federal state when deranged local leftists decide to hold their personal feelings about illegal and harmful migration above federal law?
Gold: 285.00
Mar 7 2018 05:59am
Fed can sue if they want, they have Force Majeure.

This Administration has set conservatives back very far. States rights has always been a conservative talking point over Federal rights and now this Federal Administration is cementing the power of the federal government over the state.

I'm okay with this because it opens the door for so much for us to do later on.

Everybody knew Trump was going to be a big government authoritarian.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 7 2018 06:08am
Gold: 260.11
Mar 7 2018 07:35am
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 7 2018 05:59am)

This Administration has set conservatives back very far. States rights has always been a conservative talking point over Federal rights and now this Federal Administration is cementing the power of the federal government over the state.

I think they lost the states rights point when weed came on the ballot.

Remember, the republicans are pro freedom
Gold: 4,383.11
Mar 7 2018 09:29am
Quote (Skinned @ 7 Mar 2018 12:59)

i am pretty sure that most conservatives you mention would also say that state rights end when they undermine the federal state, which is certainly the case here
prohibiting state employees from talking with the feds is not only crazy (it should be the opposite really), it violates the entire concept of having such a system
if you do that you might as well go for #Calexit

This post was edited by ampoo on Mar 7 2018 09:29am
Gold: 2,617.52
Mar 7 2018 11:10am
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 7 2018 07:59am)

Skinned is still mad that the South lost the civil war and took away his toys
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 7 2018 11:18am
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 7 2018 06:59am)

State's rights is one of those made up talking points conservatives use but never actually follow through on... sort of like reducing the deficit.

This post was edited by IceMage on Mar 7 2018 11:19am
Gold: 10,655.00
Mar 7 2018 12:59pm

Sessions blasts California after filing U.S. immigration suit

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-justice-immigration/sessions-blasts-california-after-filing-u-s-immigration-suit-idUSKCN1GJ2IF

Sessions singled out Democratic Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, accusing her of actively seeking to help illegal immigrants avoid ICE.

Last month, Schaaf issued a statement alerting local residents that ICE was preparing to conduct an operation in the area, saying it was her moral obligation. A few days later, ICE announced the arrest of more than 150 people for immigration violations in the San Francisco-Oakland area, saying about half had additional criminal convictions.

ICE Deputy Director Thomas Homan has said Oakland’s sanctuary policies shield “dangerous criminal aliens” and Schaaf’s actions increased risks for federal officers. The White House has called Schaaf’s actions “outrageous” and said the Justice Department was reviewing the matter.

“Here’s my message for Mayor Schaaf: How dare you. How dare you needlessly endanger the lives of law enforcement officers to promote your radical open-borders agenda,” Sessions said on Wednesday.

Gold: 2.70
Mar 7 2018 01:04pm
id rather see the military roll through and arrest illegals and arrest the governors, mayors etc
Gold: 200.83
Mar 7 2018 03:14pm
Quote (ampoo @ Mar 7 2018 03:49am)
about time this madness stops, whats the purpose of a federal state when deranged local leftists decide to hold their personal feelings about illegal and harmful migration above federal law?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12377Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll