d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Intermittent Fasting
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 748.53
Nov 30 2017 11:55am
After reading through this thread :wallbash:
Gold: 1,895.00
Nov 30 2017 07:21pm
Quote (Balla @ Nov 30 2017 11:55am)

Don't just :wallbash: , educate.
Gold: 361.00
Nov 30 2017 08:36pm
Quote (Balla @ Nov 30 2017 09:55am)

You’d be shredded if you wanted to, it’s just not your goals right now!!
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 1 2017 11:37am
Quote (PartyInMyPants @ 30 Nov 2017 00:07)
I ain’t a doctor or anything...but I thought I’d chime in the following:

I read an article in the Harvard journal of medicine that says intermittent fasting is correlated with increased lifespan...

Don’t know if anyone has looked into this...

Also...my friend who fasts for 48 hours every week and runs marathons says he has felt heaps better since he started fasting. He doesn’t fast to lose weight, but for the other health benefits.

There is growing correlative data but it should be kept in mind that people who engage in intermittent fasting are probably doing other beneficial things for their health, too. Among the people I know who use intermittent fasting who have said it helps them on top of other healthy choices they've made, intermittent fasting was adopted later than other healthy habits. I imagine that more studies will correlate intermittent fasting with longevity, just because it intuitively makes sense. Reset the pancreas, burn fat, reduce waste ... duh.
Gold: 1,803.00
Dec 2 2017 11:50pm
When you guys post that many words I can’t read them. My brain just says no

Quote (Excusemem8 @ Nov 30 2017 09:36pm)
You’d be shredded if you wanted to, it’s just not your goals right now!!

Lmao

This post was edited by tommyd323 on Dec 2 2017 11:50pm
Gold: 1,895.00
Dec 3 2017 12:55am
Quote (BigDaddyGurk @ Nov 28 2017 02:56pm)
First part, willpower does work, but it isn't a cut and dry type of thing. Discipline is wrapped up in there, along with plenty of other things, that manifest itself as willpower. Comes down to you indulging in 'negative' behavior (negative in the sense that it does not further you along to your target), as opposed to positive behavior. It doesn't help that sugar is one of the most addictive substances we could ingest, and that it finds itself in almost every manufactured food now. And on top of that, the issue being propagated by past administrations (food pyramid) and legit scientists falsifying information / selling out to industry heads benefiting from a transition to sugar as a staple

HDL/LDL (my understanding) is good for showing a general guideline ratio wise, in what is healthy or normal, but is obviously relative to the individual (and an increase in HDL/LDL outside of 'normal ranges' can be/still is good). Saturated fat is not bad man, stop that. I want to slap you on the wrist. Sugar, bad (yes, even in moderation). Saturated fat, good (moderation). It turns out testing/analyzing HDL/LDL alongside other common, and relatively cost effective tests is a very good predictor for many issues (why we have different blood panels) but it's not to say it is the end-all-be-all for health diagnostics.

And idk what you fucks are talking about with salt. Obviously too much is bad, too little is bad, salt:body weight ratios are general guidelines that seem to match for many people over a large spectrum.. not set in stone. If you cook all your own meals, it is very easy to pinpoint sodium intake and figure out what you think fits best (and if you can afford it, shell out for comprehensive blood panels and whatever the hell it is that tests micronutrient levels too, so you can see exactly what you may deficient of, so that you can target them specifically)

Interesting. From what I've read the dietary elements that effect cholesterol and lipoprotein fractions are excess calorie intake, cholesterol, saturated and trans fats. So saturated fats are not good, hdl/ldl ratio outside of normal limits can indicate a concern which is why it's looked at and there isn't a salt:body weight ratio guideline that I can find.

Curious why you keep saying the bold is true. If you have some sources that would be nice to read.

Quote (RewtheBrave @ Nov 28 2017 02:19pm)
I mean that it's not a precise, predictive measure. It's a good general indicator, but again, current research is showing that we want a way to look at carb consumption rather than an accumulation of cholesterol to predict heart disease. My belief is that ingestion of too much sticky food (carbs, saturated fat, and I doubt they're the only culprits) is going to create an abdunace of undigested food, waste, toxin build-up, bad bacterial overgrowth, increase in acidity, increase in plaque build-up, etc etc. If you want a slightly more accurate picture of what's probably wrong just look at someone's diet and exercise plan over time (people don't make these plans, but I wouldn't mind if it became a requirement that if you wnat to see a doctor you should actually take care of your own shit). Or use more medical technologies. But looking at HDL/LDL (in isolation) should be outmoded, just as pap smears (expensive, invasive) should be outmoded.To be clear, looking at HDL/LDL levels is useful and it is predictive, but it's not enough.

What do you mean by in isolation exactly? They are inductors of course as you said but not sure what you mean by isolation. Want to understand your view before I respond to it.

This post was edited by dark-soul on Dec 3 2017 01:22am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 3 2017 11:33am
Quote (dark-soul @ 3 Dec 2017 02:55)
What do you mean by in isolation exactly? They are inductors of course as you said but not sure what you mean by isolation. Want to understand your view before I respond to it.

I meant that it's important to do additional testing. This is especially true because, by the time people come in with crap cholesterol levels, they probably have a mid-level problem, chronic illness, or early state disease condition. As every MD knows, most people don't give a f*ck about their health until they're nearly dead, so I think it's better to get at problems earlier or to find a specific diagnosis more quickly, just because HDL/LDL testing won't "scare" people into making a change, doesn't give any specific diagnosis, and rarely comes with specific recommendations for alleviation of the problem ... and, probably even more importantly, misses what's going on in the patient's body at the time.

The problem is to find a way to make additional testing cheaper or more accessible. It's not that it isn't much better. My own business actually provides a solution to that problem, but I wish something could be scaled & done within medical systems (some nations are looking to change anyway). My own business isn't focused in a global direction for that problem, but we know another business that is making headway in that direction.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll