d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > RuneScape > Runescape Population Discussion > For You Rs3 Vs Osrs Lovers
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,070.00
Oct 15 2017 11:02pm
Micro transaction revenue, which is most exclusively RS3, generates about 1/3rd of Jagex's total revenue. That being said, subscriptions are about the other 2/3rds

By this graph we make the assumption that about 40-50% of that comes from RS3. Thus we can assume that RS3 generates about 55-66% of total revenue.

So yes. Jagex can definitely support RS3. OSRS is a MUCH more profitable wing of the game though, in some cases, such as from an employment and development team standpoint size that side of the business is more limited.

-----

I would agree that a large % of players would not play RS3 if OSRS did not exist. I feel as though Jagex realizes this that is why they keep both platforms running in order to maximize their profits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/6i7r3f/jagexs_mtx_and_subscription_income_for_2016/?st=j8tpkev1&sh=7570ce23

Reddit link for the numbers they released last year

This post was edited by Ctrain2 on Oct 15 2017 11:03pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 16 2017 12:05am
Quote (JVMorrow @ Oct 16 2017 02:19pm)
holy fuck read this expecting to see some numbers and get answers

op is just posting the variables that attribute to the amount of people online
with no actual data

'.........................

Gimme data over the last 4 years that provides the following:
The number of bots active
The number of users running multiple accounts, and the number of accounts
The unique number of users online at any given point
Provide that data in every 5 minute interval over the past 4 years
Also, the unique number of users online on a daily basis
Then I'll compare the data for you
If you want me to relate it to a specific topic afterwards, I'll gladly do that for you too

And to those who don't understand why I posted those specific time frames, feel free to re-read on your own

Goal: Get people to think and talk beyond the 3-5 word slam posts
As mentioned, the 3-5 word slam posts were obviously expected and are evident as a result of the thread's existence
Ultimately, the goal was still met with other people capable of reading more than 1 line and typing more than half a sentence
Gold: 1,341.48
Warn: 10%
Oct 16 2017 12:30am
Rs3 is shit / thread
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Oct 16 2017 12:43am
Honestly I enjoy both games, I went from a 1800+ acc on 07, enjoyed the game play but honestly there isnt enough gameplay to keep a player like myself busy. I enjoyed both games a ton but I go through spurts of loving one game and then the other. I dont understand why there is such a hatred for eachothers game, 07 wouldnt be the game it was today without the updates that have been in rs3, so each game has built off itself.

Ill remind everyone when 07 came out there was no GE, guess who has a GE, so 07 has adapted things from rs3.
Gold: 300.00
Oct 16 2017 12:49am
Quote (Climbing @ 15 Oct 2017 23:43)
Honestly I enjoy both games, I went from a 1800+ acc on 07, enjoyed the game play but honestly there isnt enough gameplay to keep a player like myself busy. I enjoyed both games a ton but I go through spurts of loving one game and then the other. I dont understand why there is such a hatred for eachothers game, 07 wouldnt be the game it was today without the updates that have been in rs3, so each game has built off itself.

Ill remind everyone when 07 came out there was no GE, guess who has a GE, so 07 has adapted things from rs3.

ge was added in rs2.. the game 07 is based on
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Oct 16 2017 12:57am
Quote (MakinClouds @ Oct 15 2017 11:49pm)
ge was added in rs2.. the game 07 is based on

still came after the original 07 date they started the files at, essentially.
Gold: 0.00
Oct 16 2017 01:26am
GE is probably a bad example there. It was one of the reasons why I couldn't stick to OSRS on launch tbh
RS2 started in 2004. GE was added in late 2007. I'd say anything prior to 2012 when EoC launched is fair game
The files they used were the most recent "old school" version of RS they had backed up prior to EoC in 2012, which triggered many people to wanting old school
Legacy mode was their roundabout solution to the problem, but many people were still unsatisfied, and then they released the info that they found these old files
Many things from RS2 have been implemented in OSRS, as many people enjoyed the updates from RS2
However, so much new content has been added to "old school" since launch, to the point where it's hardly even recognizable as "old school" but rather as RS2.5
Rather than being an old version of the game that once existed, it branched off in a completely different direction that the community voted, and the devs are unable to say no to their requests
I say this because it has roots starting from RS2, but as someone who started playing near the end of classic and the start of RS2, I'm unable to recognize about half of the screenshots people post in their OSRS threads
The nostalgia is there for a while, but I can get that same nostalgia fix by toggling my graphics and combat settings to legacy mode if I ever wanted to
The OSRS economy is younger and more profitable, which gives some people more incentive to play
I wish I could go on abyssal demon tasks and actually be excited about whip drops again, but instead, I see a rainbow over a 70k drop and yak it to the bank like every other junk loot they drop
Gold: 300.00
Oct 16 2017 01:43am
Quote (Kokua @ 16 Oct 2017 00:26)
GE is probably a bad example there. It was one of the reasons why I couldn't stick to OSRS on launch tbh
RS2 started in 2004. GE was added in late 2007. I'd say anything prior to 2012 when EoC launched is fair game
The files they used were the most recent "old school" version of RS they had backed up prior to EoC in 2012, which triggered many people to wanting old school
Legacy mode was their roundabout solution to the problem, but many people were still unsatisfied, and then they released the info that they found these old files
Many things from RS2 have been implemented in OSRS, as many people enjoyed the updates from RS2
However, so much new content has been added to "old school" since launch, to the point where it's hardly even recognizable as "old school" but rather as RS2.5
Rather than being an old version of the game that once existed, it branched off in a completely different direction that the community voted, and the devs are unable to say no to their requests
I say this because it has roots starting from RS2, but as someone who started playing near the end of classic and the start of RS2, I'm unable to recognize about half of the screenshots people post in their OSRS threads
The nostalgia is there for a while, but I can get that same nostalgia fix by toggling my graphics and combat settings to legacy mode if I ever wanted to
The OSRS economy is younger and more profitable, which gives some people more incentive to play
I wish I could go on abyssal demon tasks and actually be excited about whip drops again, but instead, I see a rainbow over a 70k drop and yak it to the bank like every other junk loot they drop

Also they poll everything for OSRS, which i actually really like. GE Barely passed the poll.

Hobo i miss u bud. we should play some arams sometime my dude

This post was edited by MakinClouds on Oct 16 2017 01:45am
Gold: 95.99
Warn: 20%
Oct 16 2017 01:48am
The graph shows 48 hours of information...

If this isn't cherry picked...

Ofc rs3 popularity drops off near the end of DXP. Everyone who plays both has switched over to osrs because they played 36 hours of rs3 straight.
Gold: 12,939.00
Oct 16 2017 03:40am
Quote (TheDutchMan1443 @ 16 Oct 2017 06:40)
So on a double exp weekend which will be the absolute peak of RS3 players logged in OSRS was still more populated... And on a typical "nothing special" weekend OSRS is almost always double the RS3 population?

This.
Go Back To RuneScape Topic List
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll