d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Best Current Tv Series > Lmk Wut You Think
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,025.00
Sep 23 2017 09:56pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Sep 23 2017 12:59pm)
How? The ending on that was so garbage. A lot of the acting in AHS is just awful and while I enjoyed it enough, it was at best a 7/10 season. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who actually have seen both shows who would say AHS can even sniff the balls of True Detective.

Not that I put a ton of stock in ratings, but

IMDB, RT critics, and RT fans all have True Detective season 1 ahead of AHS Asylum. It's fairly close besides the fan ratings, which is way tilted towards TD, but I really don't know why everyone hypes that shit up so much. The first season of AHS was better. AHS S2 just took a giant shit on itself at the end with the super lame, boring, and cringe filled ending it went with. Not to mention a couple of the horrible scenes like the whole singing bit. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure I could find at least a handful of things wrong in each episode, while it's pretty difficult to do that with TD. The acting in TD is one of the best, if not the best that we've seen in a TV show, the story was engrossing and the dialogue was just glorious, much more sophisticated and well done than AHS.

Once again, this is just my opinion, but you usually have at least somewhat similar views on shows/movies it seems like, this one is wayyy off for me.

I think TD season 1 is one of those shows that is great, extremely enjoyable to watch and try and figure out. The problem for me is that the "try and figure out" part doesn't necessarily hold up. I had an insane amount of fun watching it and then talking with friends for hours about what the fuck was going on. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did without that second part. This goes for GoT as well, the audience interaction (so to speak) for me is a big part of those shows. This is why I have a hard time recommending GoT and TD1 to friends, and why I understand when some of the friends I do recommend the shows to don't really have any interest in them after a few episodes.

I feel those kind of shows are magical and amazing if you are there at the right time, but if you miss it then you lose an important aspect of the show with no real way of getting it back. Like lost, I watched lost years after release and honestly I thought it was crap, but during its airing when there was electricity around it and everyone was talking and theorycrafting...sure I can understand why people would have liked it, but without that element... Ehhh...

I've also never rewatched TD1 but I've rewatched AHS2.

I guess my criteria for "best show" would be different. It would be something that I would actually like to rewatch, and doesn't lose anything in that rewatch.

That's not saying that I don't think TD is amazing and one of the most enjoyable watching experiences I've ever had, because all of that is true, but if you made me choose 1 show to take on a space flight it probably wouldn't be true detective.

Edit: I also think AHS Asylum is the only season of AHS worth watching.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Sep 23 2017 09:57pm
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 23 2017 10:16pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Sep 23 2017 07:56pm)
I think TD season 1 is one of those shows that is great, extremely enjoyable to watch and try and figure out. The problem for me is that the "try and figure out" part doesn't necessarily hold up. I had an insane amount of fun watching it and then talking with friends for hours about what the fuck was going on. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did without that second part. This goes for GoT as well, the audience interaction (so to speak) for me is a big part of those shows. This is why I have a hard time recommending GoT and TD1 to friends, and why I understand when some of the friends I do recommend the shows to don't really have any interest in them after a few episodes.

I feel those kind of shows are magical and amazing if you are there at the right time, but if you miss it then you lose an important aspect of the show with no real way of getting it back. Like lost, I watched lost years after release and honestly I thought it was crap, but during its airing when there was electricity around it and everyone was talking and theorycrafting...sure I can understand why people would have liked it, but without that element... Ehhh...

I've also never rewatched TD1 but I've rewatched AHS2.

I guess my criteria for "best show" would be different. It would be something that I would actually like to rewatch, and doesn't lose anything in that rewatch.

That's not saying that I don't think TD is amazing and one of the most enjoyable watching experiences I've ever had, because all of that is true, but if you made me choose 1 show to take on a space flight it probably wouldn't be true detective.

Edit: I also think AHS Asylum is the only season of AHS worth watching.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd still have to disagree. I don't think I really had anyone to discuss the show with besides my wife, and it always takes her for fucking ever to watch anything, so I'd always be at least a couple of episodes ahead of her. I don't think I'd ever re-watch a season of AHS. I enjoyed 1/2 alright, but how cheesy and just boring they get by the end is one of those things that just kills it for me. A show should be at it's peak at the end, not at it's weakest, which seems to be a common theme for AHS. They start out strong, hit a stride about halfway through their episodes (especially with season 1/2), and you're deeply involved for a few episodes and then they take it in the dullest direction imaginable and it just fucking kills it. At least that's what happened for me. I tried to watch season 3 and I couldn't stomach how bad it was. I did watch all of freak show and hotel and both of those had a couple of enjoyable parts, but overall were just fucking terrible. Roanoke was the same as 3 where I just had to turn it off after a few episodes.

I've watched TD a couple of times over and I've enjoyed it each time. If being able to watch a show over and over again is what makes it the "best" for you, then by that definition, my best would be something like Archer or another comedy/anime that I can literally watch hundreds of times, quote every episode word for word and still find myself enjoying it.

I just hope TD season 3 is half as good as I hope it is. Everyone shit talks season 2 so much and it just bothers the shit out of me, it would be nice if everyone could just realize that it's not the same exact show, and that while it may not be as good as the first season, it was still a good series and it had strong performances across the board.
Gold: 10,025.00
Sep 23 2017 11:26pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Sep 23 2017 09:16pm)
I can see where you're coming from, but I'd still have to disagree. I don't think I really had anyone to discuss the show with besides my wife, and it always takes her for fucking ever to watch anything, so I'd always be at least a couple of episodes ahead of her. I don't think I'd ever re-watch a season of AHS. I enjoyed 1/2 alright, but how cheesy and just boring they get by the end is one of those things that just kills it for me. A show should be at it's peak at the end, not at it's weakest, which seems to be a common theme for AHS. They start out strong, hit a stride about halfway through their episodes (especially with season 1/2), and you're deeply involved for a few episodes and then they take it in the dullest direction imaginable and it just fucking kills it. At least that's what happened for me. I tried to watch season 3 and I couldn't stomach how bad it was. I did watch all of freak show and hotel and both of those had a couple of enjoyable parts, but overall were just fucking terrible. Roanoke was the same as 3 where I just had to turn it off after a few episodes.

I've watched TD a couple of times over and I've enjoyed it each time. If being able to watch a show over and over again is what makes it the "best" for you, then by that definition, my best would be something like Archer or another comedy/anime that I can literally watch hundreds of times, quote every episode word for word and still find myself enjoying it.

I just hope TD season 3 is half as good as I hope it is. Everyone shit talks season 2 so much and it just bothers the shit out of me, it would be nice if everyone could just realize that it's not the same exact show, and that while it may not be as good as the first season, it was still a good series and it had strong performances across the board.

Everyone has their own opinion. Despite how good everything was, the writing and acting and everything, I just don't think I would have enjoyed td as much as I did without people to watch it with.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 23 2017 11:39pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Sep 23 2017 09:26pm)
Everyone has their own opinion. Despite how good everything was, the writing and acting and everything, I just don't think I would have enjoyed td as much as I did without people to watch it with.

For sure, and that's a totally understandable and reasonable stance.
Gold: 18,115.00
Sep 24 2017 05:11pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Sep 23 2017 12:57am)
Why are you even here?

Because it's a discussion forum where everyone can write and share their thoughts :unsure:

Didn't know that R&M fanbase is so aggressive. Next time I'll think twice before posting my opinion or question, thanks in advance. :wallbash:

This post was edited by pzold on Sep 24 2017 05:11pm
Gold: 23.00
Sep 24 2017 08:32pm
Quote (pzold @ Sep 21 2017 04:13pm)
Rick and Morty is truly overrated.
Nonetheless, Better Call Saul is especially good if you had watched Breaking Bad before. Such a quality prequel.

Rick and Morty is definitely not overrated lol.

It is arguably the best written animated comedy ever created. A lot of people probably agree with me too. I feel like I have good taste and appreciate good work. Obviously that doesn't mean I'm perfect in terms of judging a show but Rick and Morty is for sure amazing.

Game of Thrones is the best current show in my opinion. Rick and Morty is up there but being how different they are it's hard to compare the two.

Better Call Saul is pretty great too.

This post was edited by fuzzy159 on Sep 24 2017 08:33pm
Gold: Locked
Sep 25 2017 03:14am
Someone watch power and I'll pay you fg if you don't like it
Gold: 25.20
Sep 25 2017 03:29am
Quote (DonMario @ Sep 25 2017 03:14am)
Someone watch power and I'll pay you fg if you don't like it

Already tried that when it came out and thought it sucked
Gold: 0.80
Sep 25 2017 03:51am