d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Google Gender Pay Gap
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Sep 15 2017 08:53am
So you might've heard by now about the lawsuit against google over the gender pay gap. Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the key complaints below - particularly if you work in tech or at google in particular.

Women are paid less than men for the same for the same roles/duties
This sounds like is the old retardation of ignoring how performance (on call, hours worked, overtime, multitasking etc.) ties into pay in addition to location based discrepancies in pay which google claims in it's defense. Of all the articles I've read through I've yet to encounter comparisons in job performance (not performance reviews) which is probably not a coincidence as that wouldn't help the narrative being put forth here. That aside it does look like women get a rough start at google though the gap becomes negligible as they progress in their career.
Female employees are paid less than male staff members at most job levels within Google, and the pay disparity extends as women climb the corporate ladder, according to data compiled by employees that provide a snapshot of salary information at the internet giant.

Women are segregated into non technical lesser paying roles
The stories of the women in these articles are reflective of male management that cannot get over their prejudice against women in tech and is quite believable if you've worked with people in tech who can have very strong views on various subjects ranging from technology to economics to race and gender. Hell, I have my own set of biases everytime I read a resume prior to an interview but I make an effort to give people a fair evaluation asking them the same set of questions I ask others applying for the same roles. The bolded below is a red flag.
Another plaintiff, Holly Pease, was hired in 2005 and advanced to a senior manager role overseeing about 50 software engineers and product managers across multiple teams. Although she had more than 10 years of experience as a network engineer before Google, she was placed into a “non-technical” career track while the engineers she managed and the other senior manager in her group, a man, were all in “technical” roles, which come with higher compensation rates, the complaint said.

Pease later coached non-technical employees on how to pass interviews to transition to technical jobs, helping many get promotions, including a male manager a level below her who had performed poorly, according to the suit.

But Pease herself was denied a promotion to a technical position, the complaint said: “Ms Pease’s two interviewers, both men, did not ask her any technical questions, and one interviewer did not even bother to take notes of the meeting with her.”

Google claimed she “lacked technical ability” despite her technical background, according to the suit. She resigned in 2016 due to the “lack of technical and engineering opportunities available to her and other women”.

Sexual harassment is overlooked by hr
Homophobic and sexist comments are common in tech and people get more bold with their comments as they acquire more power thinking they can get away with it - which they actually can as HR is typically unlikely to punish someone higher up so this is not at all surprising and I do believe the women here so long as google remains silent unwilling to provide a rebuttal.
Rod Chavez is an engineering director at Google, he sexually harassed me, Google did nothing about it. Reprimanded me instead of him

"It's taking all of my self control not to grab your ass right now." VERBATIM quote from someone currently an engineering director at Goog

"He feels like you humiliated him in front of his reports." Something HR actually fucking said to me.

Articles below
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/09/09/google-employee-spreadsheet-alleges-pay-gap-women/649969001/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/14/google-women-promotions-lower-paying-jobs-lawsuit
http://www.businessinsider.com/kelly-ellis-claims-she-was-sexually-harassed-at-google-2015-3
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/technology/google-salaries-gender-disparity.html?mcubz=1&_r=0

This post was edited by duffman316 on Sep 15 2017 08:55am
Gold: 285.00
Sep 15 2017 09:00am
But women get pregnant once in twice in their careers!
Gold: 25.20
Sep 15 2017 09:17am
Other than level one that pay gap is pretty small compared to what people seem to think it is

How many factors is it considering?

This post was edited by FroggyG on Sep 15 2017 09:19am
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Sep 15 2017 09:20am
women favor front-end development which is by all accounts easier
it also suits them more biologically, it's more about creativity and shit.

maybe we shouldn't say it's 'segregated'

This post was edited by DCSS on Sep 15 2017 09:21am
Gold: 20,000.00
Sep 15 2017 09:24am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 15 2017 09:00am)
But women get pregnant once in twice in their careers!

That wat I was thinking
Gold: 10.77
Sep 15 2017 09:44am
Quote (DCSS @ Sep 15 2017 08:20am)

No. Men try to put all women into front end development, including those who are much better suited to backend development. My girlfriend has had to have massive executive interventions over this bullshit.
Gold: 3,260.00
Sep 15 2017 09:53am
Honestly, most of these techies live in a delusional bubble and think they are God's gift to the world.

They are all 'super progressive' until it turns out that they are actually country club misogynists like many of those who came before them.

I say punish them more severely just because of their cavalier attitudes. SV hypocrites.

Gold: 500.00
Sep 15 2017 09:56am
Quote (DCSS @ Sep 15 2017 10:20am)

they're being denied entry to back end stuff as per the lawsuit

This post was edited by duffman316 on Sep 15 2017 09:57am
Gold: 0.00
Sep 15 2017 11:13am
Quote (murder567 @ Sep 15 2017 10:53am)
Honestly, most of these techies live in a delusional bubble and think they are God's gift to the world.

They are all 'super progressive' until it turns out that they are actually country club misogynists like many of those who came before them.

I say punish them more severely just because of their cavalier attitudes. SV hypocrites.

you're right. they do actually think that, as if the world was made for them and the rest of us just happen to exist in it.

Gold: 4,400.67
Sep 15 2017 11:47am
Quote (FroggyG @ 15 Sep 2017 17:17)
Other than level one that pay gap is pretty small compared to what people seem to think it is

exactly my thoughts as well, and the disparity at level one can probably be explained by a lot of good reasons.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll