d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Putin Expels Almost 1000 Us Diplomats From Russia > In Response To Sanctions
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
Jul 31 2017 01:19pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 31 2017 08:00pm)
I'm not even talking about torture but just basic questioning but whatever that's a dumb tangent to the discussion.

The bolded is a gross hyperbole. After the collapse of the Soviet Union Russia was an absolute disaster. Putin came in during the late 90 and objectively lifted the Russians standards of living, this isn't subjective propaganda but reality on the ground. It would be hard to prognosticate what Russia might of been under someone else but if we compare Russia pre-Putin during the 90s and Russia with Putin it's no surprise why so many people adore him.

Maybe he sacrificed the well being of the Russian people on some level but to pretend that he didn't lift Russia from a forgotten nation geopolitically to the big boys league is just being dishonest man. Can you name a single country that has challenged American hegemony more than Russia?

The point is a guy like Putin shouldn't have been allowed in government. Hitler objectively improved the living standards of the Germans in the early-mid 30s, though I wouldn't say the subsequent destruction of his country by his own doing was particularly helpful to Germany in the long run. There is no doubt that Putin wants Russia to be taken seriously as a superpower, but to do that you have to have a GDP bigger than Canada's. Maybe if he spent more on infrastructure, healthcare and business as opposed to engaging in proxy wars and aggressive expansionism, Russia would be a superpower. Countries like the US do the same meddling across the world, but at least the government invests in the well being of their citizens (to an extent...), while Putin and his cronies let their people suffer. Guys like Putin murder journalists they don't agree with, sorry but I'll never accept Putin apologist arguments.
Gold: 9,276.00
Jul 31 2017 02:30pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jul 31 2017 12:19pm)
The point is a guy like Putin shouldn't have been allowed in government. Hitler objectively improved the living standards of the Germans in the early-mid 30s, though I wouldn't say the subsequent destruction of his country by his own doing was particularly helpful to Germany in the long run. There is no doubt that Putin wants Russia to be taken seriously as a superpower, but to do that you have to have a GDP bigger than Canada's. Maybe if he spent more on infrastructure, healthcare and business as opposed to engaging in proxy wars and aggressive expansionism, Russia would be a superpower. Countries like the US do the same meddling across the world, but at least the government invests in the well being of their citizens (to an extent...), while Putin and his cronies let their people suffer. Guys like Putin murder journalists they don't agree with, sorry but I'll never accept Putin apologist arguments.

Implying GDP is the only metric for superpower. They've stared down the west in Syria and in many other geopolitical arenas and have made us look like fools. Militarily they are only second to the Americans. They may not be able to project their power like we do but in an all out war they would collapse any adversary (MAD) .

Cronyism is a serious issue for Russia as a business environment, even going forward, but the real reason why they are struggling is because of collapsing energy prices and their shrinking population. Unlike other developed countries they simply don't have a diversified way of generating money. Pretending that if only Putin was docile then somehow Russias woes would suddenly disappear is naive, i hope as a future economist you would develop your perspectives better.

You reduce my opinions to "Putin apologist" because the thing i present are pretty factual and you living in the west have long been fed the same narrative which i challenge.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 31 2017 02:32pm
I guess the golden shower tapes don't actually exist.
Gold: 17,384.69
Jul 31 2017 04:20pm
Quote (IceMage @ 31 Jul 2017 21:32)
I guess the golden shower tapes don't actually exist.

If it does, do you think it's a good.idea to release it?
Trump must stay as long as possible
Gold: 200.83
Jul 31 2017 07:24pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Jul 31 2017 02:20pm)

Gold: 57.00
Jul 31 2017 09:18pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ 31 Jul 2017 18:20)

Aug 1 2017 02:00pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 31 2017 09:30pm)
Implying GDP is the only metric for superpower. They've stared down the west in Syria and in many other geopolitical arenas and have made us look like fools. Militarily they are only second to the Americans. They may not be able to project their power like we do but in an all out war they would collapse any adversary (MAD) .

Cronyism is a serious issue for Russia as a business environment, even going forward, but the real reason why they are struggling is because of collapsing energy prices and their shrinking population. Unlike other developed countries they simply don't have a diversified way of generating money. Pretending that if only Putin was docile then somehow Russias woes would suddenly disappear is naive, i hope as a future economist you would develop your perspectives better.

You reduce my opinions to "Putin apologist" because the thing i present are pretty factual and you living in the west have long been fed the same narrative which i challenge.

GDP per capita is the most comprehensive metric there is, which would be even worse relative to their total GDP considering how many people live there. What metric do you want to go by - life expectancy? Education? Corruption? Russia fails in every one of them. There are external factors out of the Kremlin's control like energy prices, just as there are major factors they do have control over, like the sanctions imposed as a direct result of the Crimean invasion.

My perspectives are based on logic and evidence; unlike most people I'm willing to change them if I see a compelling argument but I just don't agree with you.

Gold: 9,276.00
Aug 1 2017 02:24pm
Quote (dro94 @ Aug 1 2017 01:00pm)
GDP per capita is the most comprehensive metric there is, which would be even worse relative to their total GDP considering how many people live there. What metric do you want to go by - life expectancy? Education? Corruption? Russia fails in every one of them. There are external factors out of the Kremlin's control like energy prices, just as there are major factors they do have control over, like the sanctions imposed as a direct result of the Crimean invasion.

My perspectives are based on logic and evidence; unlike most people I'm willing to change them if I see a compelling argument but I just don't agree with you.

That's dumb AF. Look at Luxemburg or Switzerland. They're probably near the top in ever single metric you've mentioned above but no one in their right mind would consider them superpowers.

Russia qualifies as a superpower simply because of their military capabilities in my opinion. Let's say NATO somehow falls apart and lets say mainland EU is left to fend for itself against Russia in an all out war. It would be the equivalent of 1939 blitzkrieg of Poland. Every EU capital would be in ruins or irradiated, i'm sure Moscow and St Petersburg would suffer the same faith but regardless a country with the GDP of Italy would be able to collapse the biggest economic union.

Crimean "invasion" again here is your western-centric subjective opinion bleeding through. Never mind the fact that most of Crimeas population is ethnic Russian, nevermind the fact that prior 1954 Crimea was Russian, nevermind the fact that the Russians wrestled Crimea away from the Ottoman empire in the 1700s and ever since then it was considered Russian territory.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Aug 1 2017 02:37pm
Aug 1 2017 02:48pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Aug 1 2017 09:24pm)
That's dumb AF. Look at Luxemburg or Switzerland. They're probably near the top in ever single metric you've mentioned above but no one in their right mind would consider them superpowers.

Russia qualifies as a superpower simply because of their military capabilities in my opinion. Let's say NATO somehow falls apart and lets say mainland EU is left to fend for itself against Russia in an all out war. It would be the equivalent of 1939 blitzkrieg of Poland. Every EU capital would be in ruins or irradiated, i'm sure Moscow and St Petersburg would suffer the same faith but regardless a country with the GDP of Italy would be able to collapse the biggest economic union.

Crimean "invasion" again here is your western-centric subjective opinion bleeding through. Never mind the fact that most of Crimeas population is ethnic Russian, nevermind the fact that prior 1954 Crimea was Russian, nevermind the fact that the Russians wrestled Crimea away from the Ottoman empire in the 1700s and ever since then it was considered Russian territory.

No idea what you're on about, I think you misunderstood something.

Oh I think I get what you mean now. Metric of being a prosperous country, not of being a superpower.

This post was edited by dro94 on Aug 1 2017 02:58pm
Gold: 0.00
Aug 1 2017 02:50pm
We gonna nuke Russias asshole
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll