d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Movie Sub Forum Rating Chart > Work In Progress
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.37
Jul 17 2017 01:29pm
Quote (ChuzzeL @ Jul 17 2017 07:16pm)
And here we go again...

Not a huge fan of scores myself, if I am interested in a movie I try to read reviews of people from which I know what they like. A 6/10 or 2/10 is just not representative to me.
Altough I rate movies myself on imdb, mostly to keep track of which movies I saw and if someone needs a recommendation it's a good filter.

I like the way some are handling it in the "Last Movie You Watched" thread. Just a few minor sentences about your subjective feelings and maybe a short plot synopsis.

Truthfully, i never really venture into that thread. So maybe a thread like I am talking about isn't necessary.
Gold: 25.20
Jul 17 2017 02:06pm
"Would you own this movie"
I own every single movie
It's called the internet

This post was edited by FroggyG on Jul 17 2017 02:09pm
Gold: 4.37
Jul 17 2017 02:36pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Jul 17 2017 08:06pm)
"Would you own this movie"
I own every single movie
It's called the internet

Not everyone downloads movies. People who don't spend their free time on computers, or don't have a decent computer, don't download movies (for free).

Even with easy access to movies online, I STILL buy blurays. I enjoy the physical collection.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Jul 17 2017 02:40pm
Gold: 2,570.91
Jul 17 2017 02:52pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ 17 Jul 2017 21:29)
Truthfully, i never really venture into that thread. So maybe a thread like I am talking about isn't necessary.

Oh, I though you meant it as a discussion thread for a specific type of movie (like if someone made a thread about Gladiator, people would give an analysis following the guideline you gave), or a general thread where people would ask for recommendations or input on a specific movie.

The "Last Movie You Watched" thread does indeed pretty much cover movie reviews. Although not everyone gives a review, many people just name the movie they watched and that's it. But some of us do give a few lines to express our thoughts, like ChuzzeL said.

I haven't had time to watch many movies recently, so I've barely participated in that thread in the last months, but here's a compilation of my inputs in the last 10 pages of the thread:

Quote (zarkadon @ 17 Jun 2017 19:56)
Under The Skin (2003)

Pretty cool movie. It's artsy in a non-pretentious way, with some really intriguing scenes and unsettling soundtrack. Also, I really enjoyed Scar Jo's performance.

Over all I'd say it's pretty good, but not for everyone.

Quote (zarkadon @ 26 Jun 2017 01:03)
If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969)

I guess this is the 1960's version of Eurotrip (silly movie with gags and sterotypical humour about europeans, seen from the perspective of americans touring through Europe). It's not good and the humor is completely outdated. A few good moments here and there, but really boring for the most part.

Quote (zarkadon @ 3 Jul 2017 03:08)
Blow (2001)

Interesting/entertaining movie about drug dealer George Jung. Most of the acting isn't great, but it's over all a decent movie that kept me entertained and interested in the main character.

Quote (zarkadon @ 10 Jul 2017 01:40)
Has Anybody Seen My Gal? (1952)

Ok and entertaining comedy with Rock Hudson. Nothing great or too special, just a time killer.

Quote (zarkadon @ 4 Jul 2017 02:08)
Red Dust (1932)

Hmm... as I was watching this, the movie remined me very much of Mogambo (both have a very, very similar story... and coincidentally they both starred Clarke Gable). Eventually it got to a point where I realized this was almost a 1 to 1 copy... so yeah, it turns out the 1953 classic with Galble, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly is a remake of this. I honestly never though too highly of Mogambo (decent/good movie for sure, but imo not worthy of all the praise it got either), and Red Dust is worse in pretty much every aspect (acting, cinematography, dialogues, tempo, story/character depth, etc). It's also not just sexist like the remake, this one is pretty racist too. But over all, it's an ok and entertaining film and Mary Astor is pretty cute in it... definitely wouldn't go as far as labeling it as bad, it's just that the whole thing pales in comparison with the remake. I'm glad they remade it.

As you can see, it's not much, just a few lines of thought and no real structure. I mention plot, cinematogrpahy, acting, etc when I think it's worth mentioning, but for the most part I just give my impressions.
Gold: 10,025.00
Jul 17 2017 05:50pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Jul 17 2017 12:29pm)

Maybe you should take a look, some people give small blurbs, some give a number, some just give a title.

Unless you want something set up that is more organized, like most recent releases only instead of just whatever you watch at the time. Like a watched in theaters only thread.

Quote (stupidkid282 @ Jul 17 2017 12:16pm)
this isn't what this thread is quite about just yet.

He is annoying and I've decided whenever he randomly decides to bash a dc movie without reason (we all know he never actually has a conversation beyond saying 'it was shit because I said so!') or blows his load over Marvel without reason (....'it was the best because I said so') he will get that copypasta.
Gold: 0.80
Jul 18 2017 01:38am
Quote (Blah58 @ Jul 17 2017 11:50pm)
Maybe you should take a look, some people give small blurbs, some give a number, some just give a title.

Unless you want something set up that is more organized, like most recent releases only instead of just whatever you watch at the time. Like a watched in theaters only thread.

Yea this could work, using something like sk's format

It would probs save the need for so many single move threads too i guess.

Gold: 10,025.00
Jul 18 2017 03:45am
Quote (WelSh @ Jul 18 2017 12:38am)
Yea this could work, using something like sk's format

It would probs save the need for so many single move threads too i guess.

I think the single movie threads are still good for spoilery talk, but I could see a spoiler free 'current(theater) movies' where people give non-spoiler opinions working.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll