d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Movie Sub Forum Rating Chart > Work In Progress
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.37
Jul 17 2017 08:32am
Hopefully this doesn't get flamed or we don't start a bickering war. We have so many conflicting views with movie watchers in here, which is completely fine, but it could be somewhat constructive to provide posting guidelines for specific movies such as the ones in this sub forum below:

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=56436747&f=189

If could look something like this, with inputs from anyone in here, of course:

Where did you see it (theater, computer, home tv)?

Overall rating score 1-10.
The rating score would have to be discussed. 4 and below would probably fall into the catergory of not watching again.

Would you watch this movie again?
Would you own this movie?
Would you recommend this movie to a friend or stranger?
Some sort of acting rating
Some sort of script/plot rating

Additional suggestions

The layout could be copied/pasted into new threads and responses.

If this is a bad idea, that's completely okay. It just could be a good guideline.
Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 17 2017 09:20am
Troll 2
Where did you see it (theater, computer, home tv)? downloaded at home

Overall rating score 1-10. 10

Would you watch this movie again? Yes
Would you own this movie? Yes
Would you recommend this movie to a friend or stranger? Yes
Some sort of acting rating not applicable
Some sort of script/plot rating not applicable

The Room
Where did you see it (theater, computer, home tv)? downloaded at home

Would you own this movie? Yes
Some sort of acting rating not applicable
Some sort of script/plot rating not applicable
Gold: Locked
Jul 17 2017 10:22am
SPIDER MAN HOMECOMING
Theater
The rating score would have to be discussed. 4 and below would probably fall into the catergory of not watching again.

Would you own this movie? No, either I watch it in the theater or download it online
Some sort of acting rating 10
Some sort of script/plot rating 10

Wonder Woman

Theater (unfortunately)
Overall rating score 1-10. 2

Would you watch this movie again? Nope
Would you own this movie? Nope
Would you recommend this movie to a friend or stranger? Nope
Some sort of acting rating 6
Some sort of script/plot rating 0

Jul 17 2017 11:43am
I didn't mean to confuse you guys, but this thread was more so to discusss whether everyone would want to use a general guideline like this and what to include in it, rather than already jumping into it, but I love the enthusiasm!
Gold: 0.80
Jul 17 2017 11:58am
i like the idea B)
Gold: 2,570.91
Jul 17 2017 12:22pm
Personally I don't like recommendations based on numerical ratings.

I'd normally give a 6/10 to something I consider pretty decent, worth watching and entertaining, while I know other people that think that anything below a 7 is a complete waste of time.

Also, I have over 3.9k movies rated in a spanish site called FilmAffinity, and yet I only have around 20 "10/10s" and less than 40 "1/10s".... I only very rarely go to the extremes, whenever I do it's because I think they are truly exceptional films that truly deserve it... however there's a lot of people that rate at least 2-3 movies each year as 1/10 or 10/10.

Numerical scales are only useful when you're comparing the rating taking into account that particular person's rating criteria. Personally I find a worded description of the overall impression you get from a movie to be much more enlightening. I do like the specific points and questions you address though, I just wouldn't rate actors or plot with a numerical value. Personally would also consider mentioning the cinematographic/artistic value and soundtrack.
Gold: 10,025.00
Jul 17 2017 12:53pm
Quote (chelsea11 @ Jul 17 2017 09:22am)
SPIDER MAN HOMECOMING
Theater

Would you own this movie? No, either I watch it in the theater or download it online
Some sort of acting rating 10
Some sort of script/plot rating 10

Wonder Woman

Theater (unfortunately)
Overall rating score 1-10. 2

Would you watch this movie again? Nope
Would you own this movie? Nope
Would you recommend this movie to a friend or stranger? Nope
Some sort of acting rating 6
Some sort of script/plot rating 0

Lucas films has never gone bankrupt, Marvel has declared bankruptcy twice, despite licensing out some of their most popular characters for millions if not hundreds of millions. Clearly Marvel is #1, that's why they have so much fan support and aren't hemorrhaging money.

Marvel wouldn't be around anymore if it wasn't for Disney. Disney took Marvel and started making movies that appeal to the lowest common denominator, like you. And I mean that's not a bad thing, it is definitely a way to make a lot of money, but trying to argue that they are amazing films is just....

Anyways I bet you don't even read comics do you? I bet you are this big Marvel dickslut 100% based on the movies.
Jul 17 2017 01:15pm
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 17 2017 06:22pm)

I'd normally give a 6/10 to something I consider pretty decent, worth watching and entertaining, while I know other people that think that anything below a 7 is a complete waste of time.

Also, I have over 3.9k movies rated in a spanish site called FilmAffinity, and yet I only have around 20 "10/10s" and less than 40 "1/10s".... I only very rarely go to the extremes, whenever I do it's because I think they are truly exceptional films that truly deserve it... however there's a lot of people that rate at least 2-3 movies each year as 1/10 or 10/10.

Numerical scales are only useful when you're comparing the rating taking into account that particular person's rating criteria. Personally I find a worded description of the overall impression you get from a movie to be much more enlightening. I do like the specific points and questions you address though, I just wouldn't rate actors or plot with a numerical value. Personally would also consider mentioning the cinematographic/artistic value and soundtrack.

Good feedback. Precisely why I thought that the rating scale would need to be discussed. I thought a rating scale would be for general ratings, although if we could unanimously agree on something that could be general, it would be helpful to collect ideas in this forum without being so aggressive.

I just think some sort of generalized guideline would be nice, and then you can discuss the movie further with specifics, something to back up your rating.
Jul 17 2017 01:16pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jul 17 2017 06:53pm)
Lucas films has never gone bankrupt, Marvel has declared bankruptcy twice, despite licensing out some of their most popular characters for millions if not hundreds of millions. Clearly Marvel is #1, that's why they have so much fan support and aren't hemorrhaging money.

Marvel wouldn't be around anymore if it wasn't for Disney. Disney took Marvel and started making movies that appeal to the lowest common denominator, like you. And I mean that's not a bad thing, it is definitely a way to make a lot of money, but trying to argue that they are amazing films is just....

Anyways I bet you don't even read comics do you? I bet you are this big Marvel dickslut 100% based on the movies.

this isn't what this thread is quite about just yet.
Gold: 102.37
Jul 17 2017 01:16pm
Quote (Blah58 @ 17 Jul 2017 19:53)

And here we go again...

Quote (zarkadon @ 17 Jul 2017 19:22)

Not a huge fan of scores myself, if I am interested in a movie I try to read reviews of people from which I know what they like. A 6/10 or 2/10 is just not representative to me.
Altough I rate movies myself on imdb, mostly to keep track of which movies I saw and if someone needs a recommendation it's a good filter.

I like the way some are handling it in the "Last Movie You Watched" thread. Just a few minor sentences about your subjective feelings and maybe a short plot synopsis.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll