d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Intersectionality
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 25 2017 11:50am
Quote (sylvannos @ Apr 25 2017 12:16pm)
So back when my aunt was pregnant with my oldest cousin, she got fired from her job as a bank teller "because customers won't think you're sexy anymore and we might lose business."

While the women of first wave feminism secured the rights of women to vote and enter the workplace, the second wave made those conditions better. Today, my aunt wouldn't have gotten fired for being pregnant...quite the opposite! And that's thanks to the second wave who pushed for equality in the workplace and an end to sexual harassment.

However, the situation my aunt was in isn't universal to all women. Securing the right to not lose your job because you're pregnant is at the bottom of the list for other women's groups, like homosexual couples. Lesbians in the second wave were left out of this discussion over maternity rights. They didn't even have the rights to pregnancy in the first place. There wasn't artificial insemination. They were banned from adopting. And because most jobs were for men as a means to be the breadwinners, a lesbian couple didn't have the income to support a family. The idea of maternity leave is so foreign it's not applicable.

This was the problem with second wave feminism. It existed largely for middle and upper class, heterosexual, cisgender, WASP women and no one else. Trans women, intersex women, black women, poor women, Asian women, Latinas, Jewish women, lesbian women, bisexual women, etc. etc. and so on and so forth were all left out of the conversation.

Intersectionality is the way we're correcting the problems faced by women who lack privileges in other areas and were left out of the second wave. A lot of the strides made in the first and second wave were things that only applied to women who had careers, education, and a healthy family. It goes back to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. People need to satisfy the basics before they can begin to satisfy their esteem and reach self-actualization.

You don't exactly benefit from offices being free of sexual harassment if you're afraid someone will rape and murder you outside your appartment.

Being scared of this in 2017 in the United States is just hysteria.

Violent crime has fallen 50% or higher since 1990 and in regards to rape, this is with the suspicion that rape was not as often reported as it was in the past which means the reduction in rape has fallen even farther than what has been recorded.

Other than accidental death and death to risk factors such as heart disease and smoking etc , you're more likely to die from you killing yourself than someone else killing you.

I mean I'm on board on the idea inequality needs to be corrected but you don't do any service with statements like that cause it does not mimic reality.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Apr 25 2017 11:50am
Gold: Locked
Apr 25 2017 11:50am
Quote (FroggyG @ Apr 25 2017 01:05am)
What institutionalized racism?

Institutional racism (also known as institutionalized racism) is a form of racism expressed in the practice of social and political institutions. Institutional racism is also racism by individuals or informal social groups,[1] governed by behavioral norms that support racist thinking and foment active racism. It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power and education, among other things. Whether implicitly or explicitly expressed, institutional racism occurs when a certain group is targeted and discriminated against based upon race. Institutional racism can go unnoticed as it is not always explicit and can be overlooked.
Apr 25 2017 11:52am
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Apr 25 2017 12:50pm)
Institutional racism (also known as institutionalized racism) is a form of racism expressed in the practice of social and political institutions. Institutional racism is also racism by individuals or informal social groups,[1] governed by behavioral norms that support racist thinking and foment active racism. It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power and education, among other things. Whether implicitly or explicitly expressed, institutional racism occurs when a certain group is targeted and discriminated against based upon race. Institutional racism can go unnoticed as it is not always explicit and can be overlooked.

The biggest indicator at the moment of institutionalized racism is the fact whites and blacks use drugs at the same rate yet black people are more likely to be charged/arrested and convicted for drug related crimes.

If the drug use is the same, the charge , arrest and conviction rates should mimic that. And then you even have the fact blacks fate higher sentencing length even for the same crimes.
Gold: 10.77
Apr 25 2017 12:04pm
It's a modern movement that wouldn't have worked in the past but can certainly work now. There was no way black people were going to attain Civil Rights if they were associated with gay rights and trans rights in the 1960s. However, it is important for everyone to understand that the struggle is the exact same. Everyone is working toward egalitarian status. This can only happen in an inclusive movement.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 25 2017 12:15pm
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Apr 25 2017 09:50am)
Being scared of this in 2017 in the United States is just hysteria.

Not if you're trans.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Apr 25 2017 12:17pm
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Apr 25 2017 12:52pm)
The biggest indicator at the moment of institutionalized racism is the fact whites and blacks use drugs at the same rate yet black people are more likely to be charged/arrested and convicted for drug related crimes.

If the drug use is the same, the charge , arrest and conviction rates should mimic that. And then you even have the fact blacks fate higher sentencing length even for the same crimes.

Not if the blacks are largely dumber for cultural reasons and that much more likely to get caught as a result. js.
Gold: 45,015.90
Warn: 20%
Apr 25 2017 12:28pm
Quote (DCSS @ Apr 25 2017 12:17pm)
Not if the blacks are largely dumber for cultural reasons and that much more likely to get caught as a result. js.

Pretty much literally what I was going to say.

There are even black comedians that touch on this concept, joking that white people know "a guy" and probably won't give you their "guys" details, and the "guy" probably doesnt drive an orange sports car dropping off coke at 2 in the morning, but with black people it's like "Yeah my cousin Jeffrey over at (This address), here's his phone number to add it in your phone. lol

I also don't see many white people expressing their gang and criminal affiliations all over social media, which is a very popular black thing to do.

Quote (sylvannos @ Apr 25 2017 12:15pm)
Not if you're trans.

If I were going to rape someone, it would be a suuuper hot chick. Not a mutilated man with half a pecker left over. Not that I'm going to rape or have any intention to, but if I did, it'd be some gorgeous woman I'd never in my life have a chance to get with lol

This post was edited by ChronFather420 on Apr 25 2017 12:30pm
Gold: 500.00
Apr 25 2017 12:37pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Apr 25 2017 01:15pm)
Not if you're trans.

the trans's are part of a tiny minority and their experiences in no way represents what women and/or minority groups experience these days

not to say that we shouldn't do anything about the violence they experience but let's keep it real
Apr 25 2017 12:47pm
Quote (ChronFather420 @ Apr 25 2017 01:28pm)
Pretty much literally what I was going to say.

There are even black comedians that touch on this concept, joking that white people know "a guy" and probably won't give you their "guys" details, and the "guy" probably doesnt drive an orange sports car dropping off coke at 2 in the morning, but with black people it's like "Yeah my cousin Jeffrey over at (This address), here's his phone number to add it in your phone. lol

I also don't see many white people expressing their gang and criminal affiliations all over social media, which is a very popular black thing to do.

If I were going to rape someone, it would be a suuuper hot chick. Not a mutilated man with half a pecker left over. Not that I'm going to rape or have any intention to, but if I did, it'd be some gorgeous woman I'd never in my life have a chance to get with lol

How do we explain longer sentencing though for the same crime?

I mean I can understand how the ills of poverty and the culture that develops adversely affects this paradigm but do you really think the justice system is handing out "justice" evenly based on the actions of the crime and that race is not a potential factor with regards to how the drug war has helped prevent a group such as blacks escaping the grips of bad culture and poverty?
Apr 25 2017 12:52pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Apr 25 2017 01:15pm)
Not if you're trans.

So an entire framework and expectation is based on the worse potential hazard someone can face?

And even then , that trans person is more likely to kill themselves than be killed by someone else.

It's just not an effective means to paint the issue. Life has been improving so much in regards to violence.

So maybe we should paint the narrative of how do we maintain this momentum of crime dropping and conditions improving for people to live their lives as they see fit free from unfair discrimination rather than painting the narrative that things are somehow so oppressive that it's statistically likely for people to experience severe oppression in life when statistically they aren't likely at all to experience it, at least in the form of violence.

opps mean to put in edit not double post :)

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Apr 25 2017 12:52pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll