d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > High School Graduation Rates Differ By Race. Why?
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 21 2017 08:55am
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 21 2017 09:29am)
summary

>asians doing well has nothing to do with the emphasis on hard work and education in Asian culture
>admit asians were the lowest wage earners below blacks who were below whites at one point and struggled to find work
>asians closed the gap with whites in 40 years
>this happened because society became less racist towards asians, not because asians study/work hard
>the perception of asians changed magically making it easier for them to find work
>they were perceived as hard working folks who valued education
>but no, they aren't doing well because they worked/studied hard leading to society changing their perception of them leading to easier time finding work starting a cycle of improvement in the standard of living for asians
>they were doing well because society stopped being so racist against them
>implicit conclusion, if only we were less racist towards blacks they'd be doing well too, stop being racist!

To understand the Asian effect, you have to understand why society became less racist towards Asians. From studying this issue, the 2 main reasons I've learned are pretty simple.

1. Asian's were glad to be out of their shithole countries and could make a better wage here.
2. Asian's who were mad at whites decided to give them a fuck you by outcompeting them

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 21 2017 08:56am
Gold: 240.47
Apr 21 2017 09:06am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 21 2017 08:55am)
To understand the Asian effect, you have to understand why society became less racist towards Asians. From studying this issue, the 2 main reasons I've learned are pretty simple.

1. Asian's were glad to be out of their shithole countries and could make a better wage here.
2. Asian's who were mad at whites decided to give them a fuck you by outcompeting them

You go to Thailand with 5k . you're rich . There is reason they do better trade deals than America .

This post was edited by CitroenC7 on Apr 21 2017 09:08am
Gold: 0.00
Apr 21 2017 09:25am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 21 2017 08:42am)
Sure, but I don't like when I hear parents raising kids talking about how dangerous it is if they aren't willing to take some inconvenience of time, if you assume they have a car. If they don't then yeah I guess I get it, but if you're taking mass transit daily, that's probably more expensive than owning a car anyways.

Right, that $100 UHaul tab is a real killer compared to creating a better lifetime for you and your kids.

Because the cost of a U-Haul is the only cost associated with moving.
Retired Moderator
Apr 21 2017 09:26am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Apr 21 2017 10:25am)
Because the cost of a U-Haul is the only cost associated with moving.

You're more than welcome to give a breakdown of cost and why it's so difficult to move.
Apr 21 2017 09:34am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 21 2017 10:26am)
You're more than welcome to give a breakdown of cost and why it's so difficult to move.

A lot of it is time-related, but there are other monetary costs, as well.

Down payments or rent deposits, lost wages due to time to actually move, time spent searching for a new place, labor for the process, any fees related to utility hookups, and so on.

Plus, for many low-income people, new locations may be severely limited if their transportation options are limited (like distance to jobs, whether a new location accepts Section 8, etc).

Feel the privilege flow through you.
Gold: 3,100.00
Apr 21 2017 09:51am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 21 2017 11:26am)

I know $100 is probably an inconvenience fee for you and me. There are people out there for whom a few hundred makes the difference between being able to put food on the table for the month. Who rely on their community (church and relatives for example) to help make ends meet every month.

It's really not as easy as you say man.

This post was edited by obisent on Apr 21 2017 09:53am
Apr 21 2017 10:10am
Quote (obisent @ Apr 21 2017 10:51am)
I know $100 is probably an inconvenience fee for you and me. There are people out there for whom a few hundred makes the difference between being able to put food on the table for the month. Who rely on their community (church and relatives for example) to help make ends meet every month.

He does this about once a month...posts some silly thread about race and poverty, gets shown the light (so to speak), acknowledges as much, then comes back a month later with a similar thread, making the same tired points.
Gold: 10.77
Apr 21 2017 10:50am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 20 2017 07:31am)
Per Washington Post:
Asian - 88%
White - 86%
Hispanic - 73%
Black - 69%

Why do Blacks and Hispanics have lower graduation rates compared to Asians and Whites?
Is it income based of parents?
Is it cultural?

Curious what this forum thinks.

Poverty is the #1 reason.
Retired Moderator
Apr 21 2017 11:09am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Apr 21 2017 10:34am)
A lot of it is time-related, but there are other monetary costs, as well.

Down payments or rent deposits, lost wages due to time to actually move, time spent searching for a new place, labor for the process, any fees related to utility hookups, and so on.

Plus, for many low-income people, new locations may be severely limited if their transportation options are limited (like distance to jobs, whether a new location accepts Section 8, etc).

Feel the privilege flow through you.

I literally just moved and aside from the $110 uhaul bill (for their largest truck available) it was $23.87 for the initiation fee of the electric bill, and no charge for the gas or water. Time/wages is totally unfair. Stay up til midnight a couple nights and pack. I didn't take a day off work to move and it sucked, but oh well I didn't want to lose the money.

Round up and call it $150. Give a legitimate reason someone couldn't save $150 over the course of say, 2 years, to eventually get out of the crappy inner city they're in. I live in Maryland and I know how far out the buses go in Baltimore and the metro in DC. You can get out of Southeast DC or West Baltimore and to a more rural area for the same cost and if you can/want, use section 8 to assist. It's not even privilege, that's just facts. Add up the dollars and tell me why it isn't possible from a quantitative sense.

Quote (obisent @ Apr 21 2017 10:51am)

I'm aware of the value of money and how it differs in different communities. $100 to me holds much less value than to someone jobless in an inner city. My argument is that if you know the inner city is extremely dangerous for you and your children, could you save $5-10/month for 2 years and have the money to move? There are many municipalities that offer moving/relocation assistance at the expense of the state/municipality as well. Governments don't want people to take entitlements forever, so they offer programs and assistance to get people back on their feet.

Just as Surfpunk says, I get into these debates a lot with the "same tired points" but the only comebacks I ever see are like "you're just privileged, you don't know" or "institutionalized racism" or some crap. No one ever has facts to back it up that speak to the dollars required to improve your situation.
Gold: 4,383.11
Apr 21 2017 11:31am
Quote (excellence @ 21 Apr 2017 16:15)
at the washington compost, shocker there :lol: racist pathetic publication never fails to showcase how pathetic they are.

Quote (duffman316 @ 21 Apr 2017 16:29)
summary

>asians doing well has nothing to do with the emphasis on hard work and education in Asian culture
>admit asians were the lowest wage earners below blacks who were below whites at one point and struggled to find work
>asians closed the gap with whites in 40 years
>this happened because society became less racist towards asians, not because asians study/work hard
>the perception of asians changed magically making it easier for them to find work
>they were perceived as hard working folks who valued education
>but no, they aren't doing well because they worked/studied hard leading to society changing their perception of them leading to easier time finding work starting a cycle of improvement in the standard of living for asians
>they were doing well because society stopped being so racist against them
>implicit conclusion, if only we were less racist towards blacks they'd be doing well too, stop being racist!

Quote (duffman316 @ 21 Apr 2017 16:12)
googled asian privilege knowing there's a high probability i'd find left wing retardation on the subject, was not disappointed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/19/the-real-secret-to-asian-american-success-was-not-education/

please tell me this is some kind of satire :mellow:
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll