d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > 13 Reasons Why
Prev1212223242533Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.80
Jul 25 2017 08:40am
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 25 2017 02:32pm)
Well, this is a point I went over about a dozen times in this thread, so I really don't want to address it again. The fact that everyone was idealistically good looking, smart and engaged overly witty dialogues/retorts for you average teenager or highschool conversation, threw me off and made me lack empathy for pretty much everyone there. For the most part I only really cared for Hannah's mom, the rest seemed awfully artificial. Especially the mexican superhero guy that has an answer for everything, he was like a parody character; completely ridiculous.

I get that it's a teenage show and all that jazz, and I'm totally ok with watching lighthearted shows where high school looks like Mount Olympus and is filled with greek gods and goddesses as well as bizarre almighty characters, but in a show like this, that tries to deliver a crude realistic message and wants to make the viewer think that this could happen in your own highschool, it doesn't work imo.

I can see your points and mostly agree. But this is still a fictional character driven drama, however more delicate than most as it had bullying/suicide at its core.

The idealistic approach to how this message (if the message was 'this could happen in your hometown high school') should have been portrayed wouldn't have got the same viewing figures or ratings that this show got though.

Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 25 2017 11:33am
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 25 2017 08:45am)
Beautiful people don't become ostracized in that way, in a minimally realistic highschool environment.

I think the fact that she's so attractive just adds to the message. She's able to get her reality so twisted. Every guy wants her (in different ways) but she somehow manages to come out with a negative opinion of herself. It's very realistic for young attractive girls to have a distorted self image like this (though admittedly the show did take it quite far, but that's natural for any show)
Gold: 4.37
Jul 25 2017 04:06pm
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 25 2017 02:32pm)
Well, this is a point I went over about a dozen times in this thread, so I really don't want to address it again. The fact that everyone was idealistically good looking, smart and engaged overly witty dialogues/retorts for you average teenager or highschool conversation, threw me off and made me lack empathy for pretty much everyone there. For the most part I only really cared for Hannah's mom, the rest seemed awfully artificial. Especially the mexican superhero guy that has an answer for everything, he was like a parody character; completely ridiculous.

I get that it's a teenage show and all that jazz, and I'm totally ok with watching lighthearted shows where high school looks like Mount Olympus and is filled with greek gods and goddesses as well as bizarre almighty characters, but in a show like this, that tries to deliver a crude realistic message and wants to make the viewer think that this could happen in your own highschool, it doesn't work imo.

The fact that you still believe this shows that you have very little understanding of the social world.

Attractive girls (or guys) can still be suicidal..........It's not a hard concept to understand and it happens all the time.....

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Jul 25 2017 04:07pm
Gold: 2,570.91
Jul 26 2017 07:00am
Quote (stupidkid282 @ 26 Jul 2017 00:06)
The fact that you still believe this shows that you have very little understanding of the social world.

Attractive girls (or guys) can still be suicidal..........It's not a hard concept to understand and it happens all the time.....

10/10 reading skills m8, I never said attractive girls can't be suicidal. I said they wouldn't be ostracized in the same way Hannah was, in a realistic high school environment. There's no doubt that she would be white knighted.

I mean, if she acted like she hates everyone, behaving like the girl who works at the bar (can't remember her name), then sure, I could believe that she would be ostracized. But Hannah was fun, nice to everyone, tried to make friends, etc. Some rumour about her being a slut isn't going to make her isolated lol. Sure, it can hurt her feelings and it will make some people judge her, but there are still going to be lots of guys willing to approach her and white knight her.

Quote (Kayeto @ 25 Jul 2017 19:33)
I think the fact that she's so attractive just adds to the message. She's able to get her reality so twisted. Every guy wants her (in different ways) but she somehow manages to come out with a negative opinion of herself. It's very realistic for young attractive girls to have a distorted self image like this (though admittedly the show did take it quite far, but that's natural for any show)

I agree. Lots of good looking girls are insecure about their looks for no objectively good reason. However, the way people interacted with her, and the way she was isolated until the point she became completely depressed, is not something I find believable.
Jul 26 2017 08:23am
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 26 2017 01:00pm)
10/10 reading skills m8, I never said attractive girls can't be suicidal. I said they wouldn't be ostracized in the same way Hannah was, in a realistic high school environment. There's no doubt that she would be white knighted.

I mean, if she acted like she hates everyone, behaving like the girl who works at the bar (can't remember her name), then sure, I could believe that she would be ostracized. But Hannah was fun, nice to everyone, tried to make friends, etc. Some rumour about her being a slut isn't going to make her isolated lol. Sure, it can hurt her feelings and it will make some people judge her, but there are still going to be lots of guys willing to approach her and white knight her.

I agree. Lots of good looking girls are insecure about their looks for no objectively good reason. However, the way people interacted with her, and the way she was isolated until the point she became completely depressed, is not something I find believable.

My reading skills are fine. You and some other moron in this thread go back pages about her attractiveness.

These "white knights" were assholes.

It doesn't matter how "well-liked" someone is, they can still be outcasted under the right circumstances and I saw it all throughout middle school and high school.

You seem to have very little understanding on how easy it is for someone to feel excluded, and the anxiety that can cause which can lead to worse things.

It's completely realistic.

The "cool" girls still have brains and thoughts like the rest of us. You're being way too superficial.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Jul 26 2017 08:23am
Jul 26 2017 10:16am
Quote (stupidkid282 @ 26 Jul 2017 16:23)
My reading skills are fine. You and some other moron in this thread go back pages about her attractiveness.

These "white knights" were assholes.

It doesn't matter how "well-liked" someone is, they can still be outcasted under the right circumstances and I saw it all throughout middle school and high school.

You seem to have very little understanding on how easy it is for someone to feel excluded, and the anxiety that can cause which can lead to worse things.

It's completely realistic.

The "cool" girls still have brains and thoughts like the rest of us. You're being way too superficial.

Stop projecting on me. I never said that cool girls didn't have brains, nor that they couldn't be bullied, nor feel insecure/excluded, etc.

Everyone else here who doesn't agree with me is making reasonable arguments and stating their own opinions in response to what I actually said. You're just putting words in my mouth and arguing about things I didn't say. There is no point in discussing this show with you.
Jul 26 2017 10:41am
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 26 2017 04:16pm)
Stop projecting on me. I never said that cool girls didn't have brains, nor that they couldn't be bullied, nor feel insecure/excluded, etc.

Everyone else here who doesn't agree with me is making reasonable arguments and stating their own opinions in response to what I actually said. You're just putting words in my mouth and arguing about things I didn't say. There is no point in discussing this show with you.

Quote (zarkadon @ Apr 16 2017 05:28pm)
Ican't believe Hannah's character either... she's too hot, extroverted and cool to be realistically bullied like that. If they made a story about jealousy and her girlfriends betraying her because she got more attention than them I could believe it... but when it's the guys that are after her and stuff, it's just unrealistic to how highschools work. In general they'd be nice to her and invite her to parties and stuff.

clearly you don't remember saying this.

We have already discussed, so yes, I HAVE made extremely reasonable arguments pages back.

I am "projecting" these words onto you because that's what your insinuating. You don't think that a "cool" girl can be depressed, be an outcast, or suicidal and you somehow believe that teenagers actually treat everyone with respect and kindness. Being cool never stopped anyone from being bullied or being depressed.

...that's not the case.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Jul 26 2017 10:45am
Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 26 2017 10:54am
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 26 2017 09:00am)

You are probably right about it not being believable, but it's a TV show. The show condenses years of reality into 13 hours of screentime. Being somewhat unrealistic is a necessity in order for the show to be entertaining and to be produced on a reasonable budget. If you consider it a flaw, then you should probably gives up on movies/tv and just stick to books. They flesh out characters much better.

But as far as shows go, 13RW expresses the underlying message in a very effective way.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jul 26 2017 10:57am
Jul 26 2017 11:26am
Quote (stupidkid282 @ 26 Jul 2017 18:41)
clearly you don't remember saying this.

We have already discussed, so yes, I HAVE made extremely reasonable arguments pages back.

I am "projecting" these words onto you because that's what your insinuating. You don't think that a "cool" girl can be depressed, be an outcast, or suicidal and you somehow believe that teenagers actually treat everyone with respect and kindness. Being cool never stopped anyone from being bullied or being depressed.
...that's not the case.

I remember it, I said she couldn't be bullied "like that", not that she couldn't be bullied at all. I do not believe that in a realistic high school environment a good looking girl would be ostracized and bullied by all the boys in her class.

Quote (Kayeto @ 26 Jul 2017 18:54)
You are probably right about it not being believable, but it's a TV show. The show condenses years of reality into 13 hours of screentime. Being somewhat unrealistic is a necessity in order for the show to be entertaining and to be produced on a reasonable budget. If you consider it a flaw, then you should probably gives up on movies/tv and just stick to books. They flesh out characters much better.

But as far as shows go, 13RW expresses the underlying message in a very effective way.

idk man, the thing is the show is so crude at times (like the bathtub scene for example, when she slits herself, but there are other such moments as well), that give an intense and realistic portrayal of what's going on... but then it gets inconsistent with the unrealistic way the charactrs interact with each other. Maybe the mistake was the format... perhaps this shouldn't have been a 13 episode long series, where each episode represents one tape. Maybe they should've extended it to 20-25 episodes. Or maybe they shouldn't have wasted so much time on Clay bitching around instead of listening to to the tapes (they are only 20 minutes long, and it takes him like 3 days to listen to each one... considering how obsessed he is with Hannah, this makes no sense), and used that time to develop the characters in a more coherent storyline.
Jul 26 2017 11:27am
Quote (zarkadon @ Jul 26 2017 05:26pm)
I remember it, I said she couldn't be bullied "like that", not that she couldn't be bullied at all. I do not believe that in a realistic high school environment a good looking girl would be ostracized and bullied by all the boys in her class.

We can agree to disagree on bold, but i can assure you, it happens....
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1212223242533Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll