d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Finally > Article 50 Triggered
Prev16789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 31 2017 01:45am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 31 2017 02:42am)
dont they have a massive deficit that used to be covered by london?

Wouldn't describe it as "massive" but definitely pretty bad. Iirc their deficit would be outside of the acceptable level for EU membership if they tried rejoining after becoming independent. That seems to be why they are pushing for the second referendum to happen while they are still technically in the EU, they seem to be under the impression they can just stay in before we split. Don't think it can work like that, but this hasn't happened before, so it's at least a possibility.

I still don't really believe a majority of Scots want to leave the UK, if we get an acceptable trade deal, I don't think they would win the 2nd referendum either. But pretty impossible to predict the next 18 months.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 31 2017 12:01am)
Except plenty didn't.

Are you serious? Anyone that read a leaflet or listened to a news report should have heard the term "the government will implement what you decide". :huh:
Gold: 4,400.67
Mar 31 2017 05:25am
Quote (WNxIrvine @ 31 Mar 2017 08:45)
Wouldn't describe it as "massive" but definitely pretty bad. Iirc their deficit would be outside of the acceptable level for EU membership if they tried rejoining after becoming independent. That seems to be why they are pushing for the second referendum to happen while they are still technically in the EU, they seem to be under the impression they can just stay in before we split. Don't think it can work like that, but this hasn't happened before, so it's at least a possibility.

I still don't really believe a majority of Scots want to leave the UK, if we get an acceptable trade deal, I don't think they would win the 2nd referendum either. But pretty impossible to predict the next 18 months.

Are you serious? Anyone that read a leaflet or listened to a news report should have heard the term "the government will implement what you decide". :huh:

afaik there are voices in the EU countries that dont want the scots to secede and then "effortlessly" rejoin the EU since it would set a bad precedent. I'm thinking about spain with catalunya, italy with south tyrol and the lega nord guys, belgium with its clusterfuck of rivaling regions, and so on. rewarding the scots with easy reentry would add an incentive/remove a perceived obstacle for their own national secession movements.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 31 2017 05:26am
Mar 31 2017 06:15am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 31 2017 11:25am)
afaik there are voices in the EU countries that dont want the scots to secede and then "effortlessly" rejoin the EU since it would set a bad precedent. I'm thinking about spain with catalunya, italy with south tyrol and the lega nord guys, belgium with its clusterfuck of rivaling regions, and so on. rewarding the scots with easy reentry would add an incentive/remove a perceived obstacle for their own national secession movements.

Imo it's a good point, the major difference being is Scotland has always (relatively speaking) been it's own country, it's not like London saying they want to be their own country and applying to rejoin the eu. The UK is a group of individual countries, so it's a bit different.

From what I heard Spain wouldn't block Scotland rejoining, not sure about the others though.
Gold: 11,700.00
Mar 31 2017 07:00am
Quote (WNxIrvine @ 31 Mar 2017 12:15)
From what I heard Spain wouldn't block Scotland rejoining, not sure about the others though.

if scotland would become independent that would happen after the 29th march 2019 as it currently stands
and that would mean that scotland would have to go through the normal processes of a country wanting to join the eu
Warn: 10%
Mar 31 2017 07:12am
Next step is to take over America and reclaim that British land.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 31 2017 07:35am
Quote (ARURF @ 31 Mar 2017 14:12)

You mean: trying to not become US's lil slave ?
Gold: 2,570.91
Mar 31 2017 09:45am
Quote (WNxIrvine @ 31 Mar 2017 13:15)
Imo it's a good point, the major difference being is Scotland has always (relatively speaking) been it's own country, it's not like London saying they want to be their own country and applying to rejoin the eu. The UK is a group of individual countries, so it's a bit different.

What Spain doesn't want is the EU negotiating with a government that doesn't represent an independent country. Obviously Scotland isn't Catalonia, they have a different history, background, status, etc that makes them different cases, but it still creates an uncomfortable situation if the EU speaks directly to a "region".

Separatists here always use hyperboles, false equivalences, etc to compare themselves to Scotland, the ex-yugoslav/ussr republics or whatever suits their agenda. If Scotland negotiated directly with the EU before becoming independent, they would use it as propaganda to claim that the spanish government is oppressing them and not letting them talk to the EU in the same way the UK lets Scottland. I don't think a big deal would come out of it, but it would still stir up things and the situation is already pretty unstable. Polling shows that catalan separatism is at its lowest in years, and the separatist government is trying to desperately cause drama to heat things up again. Right now they are going as far as claiming that the separatist politicians that are currently being judged for corruption and ignoring regulations are political criminals being chased by the spanish government, and asking the people to stand by them against oppression and stuff, it's really ridiculous :LOL:
Gold: 0.80
Mar 31 2017 05:35pm
Quote (ARURF @ Mar 31 2017 01:12pm)

:rofl:
Gold: 253.00
Apr 1 2017 07:12am

For the Brits around here. Congratulations again for your Independence Day!
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 1 2017 07:20am
Quote (tman65ky @ 1 Apr 2017 13:12)
For the Brits around here. Congratulations again for your Independence Day!

you mean "wanna be empire again day" i assume
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev16789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll