d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The War Against Free Speech Continues
Prev123410Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,189.49
Mar 28 2017 01:06pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 28 2017 12:55pm)
Aren't you a libertarian? How is social pressure and economic sanctions by free-acting individuals not right up your ally as a solution to something you don't like that is happening?

Hey keep that up and he might realize that a state that doesn't have a strong authority to defend individual freedoms results in those liberties getting taken away by non-state actors who then become a de facto state and ron paul promptly vanishes in a puff of logic
Gold: 2,647.74
Mar 28 2017 01:10pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 28 2017 08:06pm)
Hey keep that up and he might realize that a state that doesn't have a strong authority to defend individual freedoms results in those liberties getting taken away by non-state actors who then become a de facto state and ron paul promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

are you telling me actors other than the government can exercise violence and undue power? not possible!

now let me go clean my assault rifle collection; afterwards I'm protesting the homeless shelter they'll open a few blocks away because I don't want undesirables in my neighborhood
Mar 28 2017 01:15pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 28 2017 01:10pm)
are you telling me actors other than the government can exercise violence and undue power? not possible!

now let me go clean my assault rifle collection; afterwards I'm protesting the homeless shelter they'll open a few blocks away because I don't want undesirables in my neighborhood

inb4 the police are paid a fair market offer to show up on the scene and shout "“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®"
Gold: 0.00
Mar 28 2017 02:03pm
Quote (duffman316 @ 28 Mar 2017 19:03)
like, what did they think would happen :o ?

Right?

But seriously though. An honest discussion about the precautions women should take while out and about cannot happen because it is 'victim blaming'. If I leave my door unlocked and then get burgled and someone says 'shouldn't have left your door unlocked mate.' is it victim blaming? and to be quite honest - doesn't the victim have some responsibility for their own safety? There are bad people out there. That will pretty much always be the case. We take precautions like locking our doors and not getting blind drunk and passing out in an alley because they are sensible precautions to take in case some bad person does happen along and seize the opportunity to do some bad shit. If you don't take those precautions then, fuck it I'll say it, it is partially your fault if you get robbed or raped.

This post was edited by Scaly on Mar 28 2017 02:05pm
Gold: 500.00
Mar 28 2017 02:34pm
Quote (Scaly @ Mar 28 2017 03:03pm)
Right?

But seriously though. An honest discussion about the precautions women should take while out and about cannot happen because it is 'victim blaming'. If I leave my door unlocked and then get burgled and someone says 'shouldn't have left your door unlocked mate.' is it victim blaming? and to be quite honest - doesn't the victim have some responsibility for their own safety? There are bad people out there. That will pretty much always be the case. We take precautions like locking our doors and not getting blind drunk and passing out in an alley because they are sensible precautions to take in case some bad person does happen along and seize the opportunity to do some bad shit. If you don't take those precautions then, fuck it I'll say it, it is partially your fault if you get robbed or raped.

Agreed

I say the people who say this kind of stuff were spoiled as children, never having to take responsibility for the danger they put themselves in.

This post was edited by duffman316 on Mar 28 2017 02:34pm
Gold: 2,647.74
Mar 28 2017 02:44pm
Quote (Scaly @ Mar 28 2017 09:03pm)
Right?

men who get beaten to a pulp or raped after a night out of drinking aren't told they should dress more conservatively or just not drink if they don't want bad things happening to them next time, unless they were clearly confrontational and engaged in violence themselves.

yet the mere act of a woman drinking and using low-cut clothes is apparently an open invitation to get assaulted and raped. as if a would-be assailant would be any less likely to act if she just didn't show that much cleavage, or that the mere act of being at a bar or a club means you shouldn't have a reasonable expectation of being safe.
Mar 28 2017 03:06pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 28 2017 02:44pm)
men who get beaten to a pulp or raped after a night out of drinking aren't told they should dress more conservatively

Because men don't get beaten or raped based on what they wear to any significant degree

or just not drink if they don't want bad things happening to them next time,

sure they do. They get told not to drink all the time. We even banned alcohol in this country for exactly that reason
Gold: 119,903.34
Mar 28 2017 03:12pm
I'm in the middle on this issue for the most part.

Free speech from the constitution mostly only has to do with repercussions occurring from the government.

But these movements that occur through social media to dox people and to try and use methods of defamation in almost any means necessary is very concerning.

Is it "justified" to go after someone for making a joke on twitter? At what point does your movement or your activism just become witch hunting for no real purpose if you're treating anything especially a joke or comedy with the same nature that you would with people who would be serious with misogyny.

This post was edited by sir_lance_bb on Mar 28 2017 03:14pm
Gold: 500.00
Mar 28 2017 03:58pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 28 2017 03:44pm)
men who get beaten to a pulp or raped after a night out of drinking aren't told they should dress more conservatively or just not drink if they don't want bad things happening to them next time, unless they were clearly confrontational and engaged in violence themselves.

yet the mere act of a woman drinking and using low-cut clothes is apparently an open invitation to get assaulted and raped. as if a would-be assailant would be any less likely to act if she just didn't show that much cleavage, or that the mere act of being at a bar or a club means you shouldn't have a reasonable expectation of being safe.

you sure about that? i always heed advice on not to get drunk in the wrong parts of town whenever i'm on vacation lest i get robbed

and the only reasonable expectation of being safe is none whatsoever

This post was edited by duffman316 on Mar 28 2017 04:00pm
Gold: 285.00
Mar 28 2017 04:01pm
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Mar 28 2017 11:44am)
Well they aren't called social justice pacifists.

Slavery didn't end by having a nice conversation.

Quote (Scaly @ Mar 28 2017 03:03pm)
Right?

Is that how it is in England? Not in the states. They barely even investigate rape here. You can even go to an ER, report a rape, and most of the time they won't suggest a rape kit. Since they usually know the dude they are usually even reluctant to press any sort of charges, because the police suck, and a rapist is not far from being a murderer, both are on the anti-social personality disorder side of things.

Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Mar 28 2017 04:12pm)
I'm in the middle on this issue for the most part.

Free speech from the constitution mostly only has to do with repercussions occurring from the government.

But these movements that occur through social media to dox people and to try and use methods of defamation in almost any means necessary is very concerning.

Is it "justified" to go after someone for making a joke on twitter? At what point does your movement or your activism just become witch hunting for no real purpose if you're treating anything especially a joke or comedy with the same nature that you would with people who would be serious with misogyny.

From a distance I really can't tell who is who, between the groups arguing here. It seems like it is just Reddit vs. 4chan and people think the internet is more important/influential than it is.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 28 2017 04:07pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123410Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll