d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The War Against Free Speech Continues
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,647.74
Mar 28 2017 04:13pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 28 2017 10:06pm)
Because men don't get beaten or raped based on what they wear to any significant degree

sure they do. They get told not to drink all the time. We even banned alcohol in this country for exactly that reason

please show me all the pundits who chastise men seeking justice for being attacked in a night out.
Quote (duffman316 @ Mar 28 2017 10:58pm)
you sure about that? i always heed advice on not to get drunk in the wrong parts of town whenever i'm on vacation lest i get robbed

and the only reasonable expectation of being safe is none whatsoever

and therein lies the difference. "don't go to that sketchy ass bar" =/= "don't go to bars"
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 28 2017 04:55pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 28 2017 01:32pm)
"A gaming journalist who is also a libertarian"

wow, that's so atypical. much bravery, such rebellion against the system

He's the hero we deserve.
Gold: 18,470.03
Mar 28 2017 05:21pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 28 2017 01:55pm)
Aren't you a libertarian? How is social pressure and economic sanctions by free-acting individuals not right up your ally as a solution to something you don't like that is happening?

As a libertarian i believe in freedom of expression and thought. If i disagree with something you say i can either ignore you, not do business with you, and or tell you how you're wrong. I wouldn't go about trying to silence you by taking away your platform for speech. I wouldn't contact your employer or sponsors. The market should decide. If you really are a Nazi no one will tune in and you'll be fired. If your employer just doesn't like you and fires you im fine with that too. I just have a problem with this online bullying for no good reason at all. The joke this guy made was so fucking mild. I also have a right to consume offensive entertainment, the most fragile among us shouldn't get to decide for everyone what they get to hear and see.
Gold: 1,261.00
Mar 28 2017 05:26pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 28 2017 01:44pm)
men who get beaten to a pulp or raped after a night out of drinking aren't told they should dress more conservatively or just not drink if they don't want bad things happening to them next time, unless they were clearly confrontational and engaged in violence themselves.

yet the mere act of a woman drinking and using low-cut clothes is apparently an open invitation to get assaulted and raped. as if a would-be assailant would be any less likely to act if she just didn't show that much cleavage, or that the mere act of being at a bar or a club means you shouldn't have a reasonable expectation of being safe.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to argue here. Yeah, it would be nice if rape didn't happen and women could do whatever they want and be perfectly safe. Unfortunately, the real world beckons. Taking certain measures to avoid being raped seems like a smart idea in a world where rape happens.
I see this as no different than wearing a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet. Is it victim blaming to tell me to wear a helmet just in case some idiot out there doesn't shoulder check?
Gold: 2,647.74
Mar 28 2017 05:42pm
Quote (russian @ Mar 29 2017 12:26am)
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to argue here. Yeah, it would be nice if rape didn't happen and women could do whatever they want and be perfectly safe. Unfortunately, the real world beckons. Taking certain measures to avoid being raped seems like a smart idea in a world where rape happens.
I see this as no different than wearing a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet. Is it victim blaming to tell me to wear a helmet just in case some idiot out there doesn't shoulder check?

You tell bikers to wear helmets because humans aren't perfect drives and they often cause accidents; even when everyone's doing their best there will still be a lot of crashes (including those caused by the biker himself). Besides, helmets are meant to mitigate harm rather than preventing accidents.

No, it would be like telling bikers to wear a helmet or else psychopathic drivers will use it as an excuse to T-bone you, as if you wore a helmet suddenly their bloodlust would run dry and no one would touch you.
Gold: 285.00
Mar 28 2017 05:55pm
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Mar 28 2017 06:21pm)
As a libertarian i believe in freedom of expression and thought. If i disagree with something you say i can either ignore you, not do business with you, and or tell you how you're wrong. I wouldn't go about trying to silence you by taking away your platform for speech. I wouldn't contact your employer or sponsors. The market should decide. If you really are a Nazi no one will tune in and you'll be fired. If your employer just doesn't like you and fires you im fine with that too. I just have a problem with this online bullying for no good reason at all. The joke this guy made was so fucking mild. I also have a right to consume offensive entertainment, the most fragile among us shouldn't get to decide for everyone what they get to hear and see.

You are kind of becoming what you are hating though. Free speech means people can say what they want, and even criticize other speech being made. Don't lose sleep over the comments section bro, everything in the media is hyperbolic to get attention. Even death threats; I've gotten them here. Real killers don't warn people first lol.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 28 2017 05:56pm
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Mar 28 2017 06:39pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 28 2017 01:31pm)
So we should come up with a list of terms that us SWJs shouldn't be allowed to discuss?

How do we go about censoring us?

I got you friendo

9/11 inside job threads
Marijuana legalization threads
"How to get into heaven when you die”
God isn't real threads/God exists threads
Bible passage threads for sake of spam
Racist or misogynist topics
News Stories that are straight copy/paste without commentary/points of discussion
Flame topics, topics related to vent, Wrong Forum topics
Gold: 285.00
Mar 28 2017 06:41pm
Quote (Tuna_BeIIy @ Mar 28 2017 07:39pm)
I got you friendo

9/11 inside job threads
Marijuana legalization threads
"How to get into heaven when you die”
God isn't real threads/God exists threads
Bible passage threads for sake of spam
Racist or misogynist topics
News Stories that are straight copy/paste without commentary/points of discussion
Flame topics, topics related to vent, Wrong Forum topics

All those threads exist all the time :lol:
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Mar 28 2017 06:45pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 28 2017 09:11pm)
All those threads exist all the time :lol:

Mods gonna mod
Gold: 63,142.89
Mar 28 2017 07:28pm
got 40minutes in and they wouldnt move past talking about TSA

so i gave up there