d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Is Russia Evil?
Prev14567816Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Mar 16 2017 07:37am
Putin is pretty homoerotic, which is gay, thus evil
Gold: 9.00
Mar 16 2017 08:05am
Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 16 2017 03:34pm)
Yeah it's sad how uninformed so many are.

And what is worst is that the president of the most powerful nation on earth, is totally ignorant about this, and seem to think that US is as bad as russia. Putin is gonna scam Trump so hard. Putin is gonna manipulate him so hard. And Trump will believe that hes helping the poor underdog who is unjustly treated...
Gold: 0.00
Mar 16 2017 08:14am
Evil is a term I don't like to use. Russia is dangerous to western democracy. It's clearly expansionist aims are worrying for the baltic regions and their government, main religion and popular culture are offensive to the ideals of freedom and liberty.

Russia is not evil. But it is incompatible with most of what I believe is best for the world.
Gold: 9.00
Mar 16 2017 08:16am
Quote (Scaly @ Mar 16 2017 04:14pm)
Evil is a term I don't like to use. Russia is dangerous to western democracy. It's clearly expansionist aims are worrying for the baltic regions and their government, main religion and popular culture are offensive to the ideals of freedom and liberty.

Russia is not evil. But it is incompatible with most of what I believe is best for the world.

No they are evil and dangerous to humanity and individual rights.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Mar 16 2017 12:43pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 16 Mar 2017 13:36)
Well, you said it yourself, Turkey would be a great example. Israel isn't exactly fantastic either, and Saudi Arabia is easily the worst. And there have been many examples of NATO-sponsored dictatorships in Africa and the Middle East that have been far worse than Russia.

Yes, Russia is a bigger threat, but that doesn't make it more "evil" than Turkey. It's just a bigger threat because it's more powerful and has greater influence. The US is a greater threat to the world than Venezuela, simply because it is much harder to stop if it goes down a crooked path, but I think we can all agree that Venezuela is much worse place.

You are judging Russia by western moral standards. I agree with you there is a lot of bs involving their democracy and freedom of speech, but don't forget that Russia has never known true democracy. They were first under an absolute monarchy, then under a ruthless communist dictatorship, and after that under a corrupt mess that never achieved a complete democracy. Government transparency is simply not a priority for russians, because they have a differen culture and history. Should the west defend its values against this way of thinking? Absolutely, but not by telling Russia what to do.

And using Ukraine to bash on Russia is just wrong, because imo that's probably the biggest issue where the EU and US fucked up. We supported a coup against a legitimate government when internationally observed elections were just 6 months away, and yet we claim that Russia are the anti-democratic ones here... I don't think Russia handled the matter perfectly either, but imo they aren't the ones to blame of the mess that happened (this time). In any case this just come downs to geopolitical and economical interests of two sides with Ukraine in between. Both of them are just fighting for their power on Natural Gas resources and Ukraine is just in between of this bs.

at some point you'll have to decide. are they NOT WORSE than "our side"? or do you want to make excuses for WHY they are worse? like that they just don't know how to democracy. putin only had the constitution amended in his favour and makes political opposition disappear because he just doesn't know any better, poor guy just has it in his blood...

also, when you said "our side", i assumed you meant nato (of which neither israel nor saudi arabia are members). when i talked about our approach towards russia, about speaking out united against them, i obviously did not have any african dictatorships in mind to apply economic pressure towards russia...
(i already elaborated on turkey and it's pretty clear we think similarly about their disgusting dictator erdogan and the current development there - as does the rest of the world. the difference is that i don't see any right wing sympathy for him and appeals to ignore the shit he does because we assume that's the only way to have good relations with turkey.)

but sure, i already said it. there ARE countries that are DOMESTICALLY worse than russia, no doubt. if that is the standard you want to judge them by, if those are the countries you associate with just to be right about russia not being worse than "our side", go ahead...

lastly, about ukraine you're doing the same thing ampoo does - yes, WE contributed to a messy situation there and made some poor and undemocratic decisions. i already said no side is "innocent", that's obviously not how international politics work - but militarily invading and annexing parts of a sovereign nation is a bit different, don't you think?
it's a bit like trying to justify a murder by saying "well, he fucked his ex - so we can't really blame (or "bash") him for killing him"...

Quote (ampoo @ 16 Mar 2017 12:09)
well, the other points you mentioned, freedom of press and so on
obviously is doesnt get as bad as russia, but i wouldnt be pointing fingers being from a country where voicing your opinion nowadays can result in ultra left fascists (or increasingly right wing extremists) threatening you, violently attacking you and your property, public "execution" in the press, the full program
you know, sweep your own entry door first

nothing "justified" russia going into ukraine and i didnt say that, but western sponsored, violent regime change and them attacking eastern ukraine citizens for not being cool with it led to this whole mess

there are plenty of other powers bombing and killing in syria, turkey, the us, and france come to mind :rolleyes:
on the last point i actually tried to avoid an evaluation here, assad is the official leader and he requested help, while everyone else is violating the sovereignty of syria
assad has not always been putins puppet and his planned overthrow has begun long before russian troops have ever set foot in syria, western regime change has backfired AGAIN

by the way, it has become awfully quiet in our media about aleppo after assads victory, i wonder why.....

you have the unfortunate tendency to overlook significant parts you can't make an excuse for. i did not ask for nations that have been militarily active in some capacity in syria, i specifically asked for forces that also systematically and indiscriminately bombed civilian infrastructure and targets to kill assad's political opposition like russia did in their offensives. i think we should make a distinction between doing that and fighting ISIS (which obviously NEVER is a clean and surgical military operation and brings a lot of civilian death and suffering with it, much more than one could possibly justify considering how the west contributed to its rise in the first place), don't you agree?

also, don't start that shitty old "well, i didn't specifically SAY this" game with me. no, you did not SAY "our" actions justified russia's invasion of the krim but you most certainly IMPLIED it by labeling it a "reaction" to "aggressive nato policy".

also, calling the arab spring and an organic opposition that originated from a people's longing for more freedom and democracy that has been bombed to ashed another "western regime change that backfired" just shows me how informed and honest you're being about syria and russia's / assad's role there...
Gold: 10.77
Mar 16 2017 12:46pm
Quote (Happypuppy @ Mar 15 2017 04:02pm)
Every time I watch the news it's always news about Russia hacking or Putin doing stuff most of which is bad. Is Russia really bad or is it just the media trying to give that impression? Don't see them reporting any good news...

The United States does far worse.

And even if you want to get into a discussion about the Russian government killing its own citizens, our former President, Obama, executed American citizens with drones without a trial.

“Turns out I’m really good at killing people” - Obama

We are the ones who are responsible for the destabilization of the Middle East and the refugee crisis.

We are the ones who funded and trained radicals.

We are the ones who let ISIS take sarin gas out of Libya to use in Syria.

We've installed dictators and toppled democratically elected governments all over the world.

The United States is an Evil Empire. Our political class bathe in the blood of the innocent and wipe their asses with tax dollars.

And they get away with it by distracting you with border walls and gender-specific bathrooms.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Mar 16 2017 12:54pm
Gold: 2,570.91
Mar 16 2017 01:27pm
Quote (fender @ 16 Mar 2017 19:43)
at some point you'll have to decide. are they NOT WORSE than "our side"? or do you want to make excuses for WHY they are worse? like that they just don't know how to democracy. putin only had the constitution amended in his favour and makes political opposition disappear because he just doesn't know any better, poor guy just has it in his blood...

also, when you said "our side", i assumed you meant nato (of which neither israel nor saudi arabia are members). when i talked about our approach towards russia, about speaking out united against them, i obviously did not have any african dictatorships in mind to apply economic pressure towards russia...
(i already elaborated on turkey and it's pretty clear we think similarly about their disgusting dictator erdogan and the current development there - as does the rest of the world. the difference is that i don't see any right wing sympathy for him and appeals to ignore the shit he does because we assume that's the only way to have good relations with turkey.)

but sure, i already said it. there ARE countries that are DOMESTICALLY worse than russia, no doubt. if that is the standard you want to judge them by, if those are the countries you associate with just to be right about russia not being worse than "our side", go ahead...

lastly, about ukraine you're doing the same thing ampoo does - yes, WE contributed to a messy situation there and made some poor and undemocratic decisions. i already said no side is "innocent", that's obviously not how international politics work - but militarily invading and annexing parts of a sovereign nation is a bit different, don't you think?
it's a bit like trying to justify a murder by saying "well, he fucked his ex - so we can't really blame (or "bash") him for killing him"...

When I said "our side" I meant countries we are allied with (even if circumstantially) or under the western world's political influence, not just NATO.

But in any case, back to Russia... how do you determine worse though? Based on our western culture, ideals and traditions Russia is obviously worse than us and I obviously wouldn't want to live there or have them run the world. But that doesn't mean they are objectively a bad country. If I was a vostokslav I'd probably have a different way of looking at things. The majority of people in Russia are happy, the country is developing and the middle class is growing.

Freedom of speech and government transparency might be one of our priorities when imagining an ideal country, but that doesn't mean that every single culture around the world has to share this view. If the russians are happy with Putin then good for them. It's not like we should demand the italian government to apologize for starting what became a 1000 year long autocracy in the form of the Roman Empire. We don't judge their policies because those were different times and they had a different way of seeing the world. Well, Russia has a different culture and history, and unless they start carrying out some serious human rights violations (genocide, full out repression through fear, slavery, etc) we shouldn't be telling them how to handle their internal affairs. It's absurd and very hypocritical of us to tell Russia off for their internal affairs and portray Putin as a ruthless dictator we shouldn't stay away from while we support horrible regimes like the one in Saudi Arabia.

And you can't compare the ukraine incident with a murder sparked by a cheating wife, because supporting a coup against a legitimate government is not better in any way than invading a country. Like I said, Russia didn't act properly either, but at least they can claim that they are invading to support the regime that was democratically voted (I know they don't give a shit and just want control of the gas pipes just like we do, but they do have that excuse while we have none).

This post was edited by zarkadon on Mar 16 2017 01:46pm
Gold: 11,571.00
Mar 16 2017 03:27pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Mar 15 2017 09:06pm)
I have not attacked you and I think you are a good poster, I'd appreciate the same respect from you towards me. We disagree but that's no reason for insults. Saying I regurgitate CNN talking points is just a convenient way to avoid having to respond seriously to my statements, especially considering I never watch CNN and my opinions are informed 0% by them and as far as I know don't even resemble them.

We have most certainly not done more damage in the world over the past 50 or so years. We do not systematically torture enormous numbers of our prisoners. We do not commit terrorist attacks on our own citizens killing hundreds and injuring thousands in order to garner support for a civilian massacre (unless you believe the 9/11 conspiracies). We do not manipulate foreign democratic elections of major world powers in order to further our own terroristic agenda. I can continue the list if you would like more examples.

You are right though that over the past year or so we've been moving much closer towards resembling Russia and that trajectory is accelerating. In a few years maybe we will be just as bad. The proliferation of fake news in the US and governmental brainwashing is a great first step to becoming more like Russia. Maybe next will be a Trump-orchestrated terrorist attack blamed on Islamists to build public support for the travel ban he's been failing to get through.

Lold i'm "attacking" you? You're quite sensitive. If you don't want people disagreeing with you on a online political sub forum don't share your opinion. I'm going to continue to disagree with you because you're blatantly wrong. Your opinion on this matter reads as if you are a gullible child. I know somehow you think you have a fairly objective view on this but you need to realize western media is inherently positioned against Russia. No matter how independent minded you think you are, you are the product of decades of spoon fed Mccarthyism

I was at the gym 2-3 days ago and i see the CNN headlines "The most powerful man in the world" talking about about Putin. "Tune in at 9:00 pm" and i'm like... damn these people don't give up with the propaganda it has to be a steady diet other wise the people might take their eyes of the phantom threats and look at our sham of a democracy. Afterwards i see discussions on Pard about how Russia bad, Russia really really bad. :rofl:

Quote (Tjo @ Mar 16 2017 06:27am)
There was a time in glorious western history when everyone knew what a beastly nation Russia was, and it is so fucking sad that the generation of today (or at least some of them) think the west is as bad as Russia, NO!
We are not. USA might have done some shifty things, but Russia is far worse. They are far worse. Go live under russian regime you fucking clueless idiots. They don't even offer their own people freedom of speech and thought.

#IsurvivedRussia.

American is a much much better place to live in, but Russia is not as bad you paint it out to be. This is coming from someone that's actually been there. Neither are the Russian people some reptilian, evil species. Like all the critics on this sub forum, your opinion comes from second and third hand accounts that present reality precisely in a way that you will form such an opinion.
Gold: 420.00
Mar 16 2017 05:18pm
Democrats are evil. :D ;) XD
Gold: 57.00
Mar 16 2017 05:33pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 16 Mar 2017 17:27)
Lold i'm "attacking" you? You're quite sensitive. If you don't want people disagreeing with you on a online political sub forum don't share your opinion. I'm going to continue to disagree with you because you're blatantly wrong. Your opinion on this matter reads as if you are a gullible child. I know somehow you think you have a fairly objective view on this but you need to realize western media is inherently positioned against Russia. No matter how independent minded you think you are, you are the product of decades of spoon fed Mccarthyism

I was at the gym 2-3 days ago and i see the CNN headlines "The most powerful man in the world" talking about about Putin. "Tune in at 9:00 pm" and i'm like... damn these people don't give up with the propaganda it has to be a steady diet other wise the people might take their eyes of the phantom threats and look at our sham of a democracy. Afterwards i see discussions on Pard about how Russia bad, Russia really really bad. :rofl:

#IsurvivedRussia.

American is a much much better place to live in, but Russia is not as bad you paint it out to be. This is coming from someone that's actually been there. Neither are the Russian people some reptilian, evil species. Like all the critics on this sub forum, your opinion comes from second and third hand accounts that present reality precisely in a way that you will form such an opinion.

lol that'll keep him quiet. actually it wont, but oh well :D
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567816Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll